XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 11 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 15th, 2007, 01:44 PM   #151
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Hi Piotr

My main aim is for UK broadcast and that is 25p. Blu ray delivery is not at the top of my list, especially since I still can't burn actually projects for use in domestic players with my mac pro yet.
Phil, first of all thank you again for the examples of excelent videography you're providing!

But back to the 25p problem: I understand that for broadcast in a PAL country, there is no better choice. However, being close to the industry, you probably heard some comments about the lack of 25p support in both HD delivery formats, the BD and HD DVD. Sony is touting BD which doesn't support 25p, but at the same time releases new cameras recording solely in 25p (like the Z7E) - I believe people must be commenting on this nonsense?!!

I've been shooting 100% of my stuff in 25p on my V1E, but when started to burn BDs recently, I'm encoding to 24p... With the EX1, I'll have a dillema:

- shoot in 24p, or
- shoot in 25p for better intercutting with the V1E, which I'm keeping as the B camera. Would appreciate any advice!

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; December 16th, 2007 at 04:41 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #152
Regular Crew

Phil...nice work, very motivating. When you're wanting to shoot random people on the street, do you merely ask them? They certainly add to your work. Do you have any "release" issues? Thanks.
Steve Madsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2007, 04:09 PM   #153
Trustee

the music is from king kong by James newton Howard.

Releases are interesting. With the skating a sign is put up saying there is filming going on and that constitutes a release. But it isn't for broadcast so it doesn't matter
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:35 PM   #154
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Phil, first of all thank you again for the examples of excelent videography you're providing!

But back to the 25p problem: I understand that for broadcast in a PAL country, there is no better choice. However, being close to the industry, you probably heard some comments about the lack of 25p support in both HD delivery formats, the BD and HD DVD. Sony is touting BD not supporting 25p, and releases new cameras recording solely in 25p (like the Z7E) - I believe people must be commenting on this nonsense?!!

I've been shooting 100% of my stuff in 25p on my V1E, but when started to burn BDs recently, I'm encoding to 24p... With the EX1, I'll have a dillema:

- shoot in 24p, or
- shoot in 25p for better intercutting with the V1E, which I'm keeping as the B camera. Would appreciate any advice!
Hi Piotr

BD and HD dvd is such a minor consideration right now for broadcasters. All they care about is having it delivered on HDCAM in 25p/50i!
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:30 AM   #155
Trustee

what are people's experiences with the slow shutter mode and interval recording. I find it quite hard to get pin sharp footage on 1080p mode unlike my f350. It seems to soften the image quite a lot. Anybody else have this problem?
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:53 AM   #156
Trustee

blog fully back up including rss and comments.
Old December 16th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #157
Major Player

Philip

Do you need additional monitor to do focus for the Letus XT, or is the EX-1 LCD-monitor good enough? You don't per chance have any picture of the set up with the extreme?
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:01 AM   #158
Trustee

Hi Jonas

to get perfect edge to edge i recommend using a good hd monitor to see what the focus should be set to. after that the ex1 lcd is good enough.

I am off on a shoot today with the ex1 and letus again. I will take some photos and post on my blog later.
Old December 16th, 2007, 07:26 AM   #159
Major Player

download speed.

Hi Phil

I have a locked at your nature-clip and they are nice,but I see now
that they are downloading much faster than earlyer.Have you a different
server or a new codec.I use Apple server but it`t slow for download.
Have you any tips.

Best Regards
Vidar Vedaa.

Weblink wildlife : http://web.mac.com/vidarjohannesveda...Info-home.html
Vidar Vedaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 02:33 PM   #160
Major Player

Philip

I have a HD Marshall 7' when I'm shooting almost everything, and absolutely when using any 35 adapter. XL H1 is a great camera, but it doesn't come with a great EVF. Anyway, I shoot most handheld, and all the stuff on the camera ends up really heavy set-up (mattebox, ff, rods, adapter, camera, lenses, monitor, battery). So one advantage for EX1, could be to build a much lighter handheld set-up.

If you have a chance to post a pic on the set-up i would be much grateful - gives me an idea how it could work handheld.
Jonas Nyström, DoP :: HOT SHOT® SWEDEN :: www.hotshot.nu :: RED #1567, RED 18-50mm T3 :: XL A1, Letus Extreme :: XL H1, 20X & 6X lens (for sale) :: www.vimeo.com/nystrom
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:52 PM   #161
Major Player

Phil,
Just watched the 720P version of the "Kew" short. As always, great work, great eye, wonderful feel.

This thought crossed my mind while watching it: "This is the first camera that I could tell any story that I want with, and not feel like I'm compromising."

Did you grade with with "Looks"? I guessing you're loving it, as well.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #162
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Phil,
Just watched the 720P version of the "Kew" short. As always, great work, great eye, wonderful feel.

This thought crossed my mind while watching it: "This is the first camera that I could tell any story that I want with, and not feel like I'm compromising."

Did you grade with with "Looks"? I guessing you're loving it, as well.
Looks is such a great tool!

Stuff should be downloading faster as it is now on a better server.

As soon as I can I will take a photo. it's pretty standard though. Just camera, on rails with letus attached
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM   #163
Regular Crew

Phil- Another job well done! That skating footage looked great.This may be the wrong question to ask here, but how do you like this sony EX compared to say, the HD100/200? I am seriously contemplating the next camera purchase.
Hayes Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #164
Trustee

hello hayes

thanks

two very different cameras. Very different form factor which makes a world of difference. I own an hd 201 and i wont be selling it. I still love it.
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:03 AM   #165
Major Player

Found your pics on your blog. Great size for great 35mm adapter set-up - with 1/2" CCDs - could it be better for hendheld work! If you have solved the problems with your rods, it would be nice to see set-up with matte boxe etc though.

Last edited by Jonas Nystrom; December 17th, 2007 at 04:05 AM.
Jonas Nystrom is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds