XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 12 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 17th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #166
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Hi Piotr

BD and HD dvd is such a minor consideration right now for broadcasters. All they care about is having it delivered on HDCAM in 25p/50i!
Phil at all,

I have some good news on this. It turns out that even though BD specs do not list 25p, there is no problem at all authoring a BD disk with 25fps progressive stuff on it, and it plays OK as well!

I have only today tried it out on my new Sony Vaio laptop, which comes with a BD burner and a little authoring application, Click to DVD- BD. I was able to burn a nice disk (with menu), using a raw m2t clip from my V1E, shot in 1080/25PsF. The m2ts file created in the STREAM folder is seen by Vegas as 25fps interlaced, but plays just like the progressive original clip.

What's even better, there is no re-encoding whatsover involved!

I can't wait for my EX1 to check whether the HQ, native 25p will also be possible to burn on a BD disk - which might not be possible, as it's not 50i-compatible.

Update No problem with "true" 25p (i.e. not PsF), either - have just rendered a full length MPG2 (1080/25p, 30 Mbps VBR, DD 5.1 audio) in Vegas, and authored a BluDisk using this smart little app; coming from Sony it even recognizes markers from Vegas timeline, so chapter points are conveyed automatically. The BD has a full-featured menu and plays back perfectly...

Looks like it will be possible to successfuly mix 25PsF from my V1E with the HQ native 25p from the EX1 when it comes, and deliver on BD without transcoding to 24p...

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; December 17th, 2007 at 05:39 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #167
Inner Circle

Several Sony reps have mentioned that you can change the extension to .ts from the XDCAM 35mbps VBR file from the EX1 and that too will work on Blu-ray without any re-encoding. I didn't ask specifically about 25p though.

BTW I also saw an internal Blu-ray burner claiming 4x speed that can burn an entire 50GB disc in about 50 minutes. Under $600

The tapeless worfkflow, backup, client delivery is getting faster and more affordable by the minute.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #168
Trustee

Interesting import issue MAC

When using the XDCAM transfer tool the clip numbers are not chronological. For example on the card I am currently importing. Clip one was actually the 3rd thing I shot, the chronological first shot is clip 6, the second is labelled clip 13.

Any ideas. It doesn't happen with the professional discs for my F350.
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:43 PM   #169
Major Player

I noticed that as well... but you can change under menu "view" > sort by > name... and that sorts by name ( file number ).

I'm loving the transfer app.... sure beats tape.

and the "logging" function for meta info is very nice.
Christopher Witz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 02:25 PM   #170
Regular Crew

phil just wanted to know what size rails are on your usual system for the ex with the letus extreme and lens'?
Graham Morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 04:14 PM   #171
Regular Crew

Phil, What lenses do you use with the Letus??

and have you had a chance to play with the tilt/shift super rotator yet?

Later
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2007, 05:04 PM   #172
Trustee

I have just ordered the new rails from letus. Will let you know how they are.

Ray, I have so many lenses! I have just got the tilt shift and not got a chance to use it yet.
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM   #173
Trustee

Brevis flip on it's way. Interesting to see how it compares to the extreme. Will post more info on my blog about how well it works with the EX1.
Old December 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM   #174
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Brevis flip on it's way. Interesting to see how it compares to the extreme. Will post more info on my blog about how well it works with the EX1.
I'll be curious to hear what you think of the combination. I'm right on the verge of ordering a Brevis. I like the size.
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #175
Trustee

Philip - I'm really interested to hear what you think about the tilt shift. I tried the Lens baby and it was fun, but just a large enough sharp area.

- Lenny
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #176
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Philip - I'm really interested to hear what you think about the tilt shift. I tried the Lens baby and it was fun, but just a large enough sharp area.

- Lenny
Hi Leonard

Not had much chance yet to use it. But will soon.

My religion series is all done. http://www.philipbloom.co.uk/Philip_..._XDCAM_HD.html

These are authored shorts looking at how being a certain religion in Britain affects their lives.
Old December 21st, 2007, 05:11 AM   #177
Major Player

Phil, great work, shots done with Letus look wonderfull, not too much loss of resolution, hard to notice at least at that resolution, do you see the loss on a good HD monitor?
How do you color balance your shots, it seems that all of them have different skin tone/color balance, was it done in auto balance?
My favorite overall, in terms of picture quality, is the Buddhist story. The faces look amazing there.
In Muslim story have you done some sharpening?

Great work, really good social cause as well!
Oleg Kalyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:05 AM   #178
New Boot

Chiswick??

Phil, did I just see you with a camera on Chiswick High Rd?
You may be in danger of turning into a celeb.

Keep it up Man.

Andrew
Andrew Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:48 AM   #179
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Parkinson View Post
Phil, did I just see you with a camera on Chiswick High Rd?
You may be in danger of turning into a celeb.

Keep it up Man.

Andrew
Blimey. Yes that was me. Small world! Big camera, no ex1 today! You should have said hello!
Old December 21st, 2007, 06:51 AM   #180
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Kalyan View Post
Phil, great work, shots done with Letus look wonderfull, not too much loss of resolution, hard to notice at least at that resolution, do you see the loss on a good HD monitor?
How do you color balance your shots, it seems that all of them have different skin tone/color balance, was it done in auto balance?
My favorite overall, in terms of picture quality, is the Buddhist story. The faces look amazing there.
In Muslim story have you done some sharpening?

Great work, really good social cause as well!

Hi Oleg. Never auto white! Everything was graded. I often go for subtle differences in colours between different chunks!

The Muslim story was not sharpened, it was shot clean with the ex1 as was the protestant piece. The Buddhist one was shot 95& F350 the rest on the JVC HD 200.

No real resolution loss. Just a softer more organic look with the extreme!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds