XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 21st, 2007, 08:28 AM   #181
Regular Crew

Phil, did you have any problems setting up you EX1 with the Brevis? I have no problems focusing in on the Ground Glass on my Z1U to the (Brevis+Spacer+Achromat), but when I set my EX1 up to the same setup, I can't focus in close enough. Did you have a problem with close focus?
Old December 21st, 2007, 08:35 AM   #182
Trustee

Yeah you need a fair old spacer between the achromat and the brevis. Or get a flip
Old December 21st, 2007, 09:14 PM   #183
Regular Crew

Great, thx.
I'm really enjoying the video you created "kew whole". I've watched it a couple times on my AppleTV. It has a great feel to it!
Old December 21st, 2007, 10:35 PM   #184
Trustee

Hi Phil, just to sum up the entire workflow.
Shoot in 1920x1080-25P>Capture into FCP with Clip browser> CC with MB Looks>Export as QT for web?

I'm looking to move to FCP so I like to understand more. Thks!
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:54 AM   #185
Trustee

Justin, I get my Brevis flip in Monday. I will let you know if it works well with the ex1.

Sean, I shoot 1080p 25p or 720 25p for overcrank. Import into the Mac. Edit, grade with MB Looks. Export as a quicktime movie file using current settings then convert to h264 mp4 using quicktime pro. If you export .mp4 direct from the timeline it needs to re render all the colour correction which is slow.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:35 AM   #186
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
I shoot 1080p 25p
Phil, your experience with this camera has been so helpful; I thank you for your contribution. And on that basis I'm sorely simply tempted to blindly follow your excellent example regarding choosing 25p, especially as in the here and now I'm in PAL land. But that's not entirely my nature; I have a question: how did you decide?

I presume you tried 30p, and 24p, and 60i and so on. How did you settle for 25p may I ask? I’m wrestling with this decision even as my EX1 is on its way and I embark on a difficult-to-repeat project. Was that decision based on specific customer needs or broad future-proofing, or what?

Many thanks for being so patient...and extremely helpful.

Cheers

John
John McCully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:38 AM   #187
Trustee

hi john

I always shoot at the same frame rate as UK broadcasts which is 25 frames a second. So I always shoot 25p for the film look or if I really have to 50i for interlace, but I really don't like interlace! I never shoot 24p as I don't need to output to film at all, well not yet!
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:54 AM   #188
Regular Crew

Hi Phil,

Just a question regarding your use of 1080 25p.

While I luv progressive and even more so luv 1080 at 25p how do you deal with motion when shooting at this resolution. EG Say one has a setup whereby there's alot of movement in the shot (such as a soccer match) what's your advice and setup. Does one need to shoot at 720 50p to maintain a clean shot?

Simon
Simon Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:56 AM   #189
Trustee

Hi Simon

I wouldn't recommend using 25p on Sport. Use 1080p 50i or 720p 50p
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:20 AM   #190

Phil...

I've seen a lot of luma noise in my images from a JVC HD110 after color correcting. This isn't low light grain, but noise that gets introduced in post processing from gain changes or color shifts. My understanding is that this is a shortcoming of the long GOP mpeg compression in 4:2:0 color space.

Have you experienced this with the EX1? I'm interested in the EX1, but, not if it has the same level of noise I experience with CC HD110 footage.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:22 AM   #191
Trustee

Hi Bill

As far as my experience goes I haven't experienced an increase in noise with CC. I do shoot everything -3db if I can. It isn't a completely noise free picture, if you look hard enough it is there. But it is minimal compared to all the other cameras I have used.

Philip
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:30 AM   #192
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Hi Bill

As far as my experience goes I haven't experienced an increase in noise with CC. I do shoot everything -3db if I can. It isn't a completely noise free picture, if you look hard enough it is there. But it is minimal compared to all the other cameras I have used.

Philip
Hi Philip,

This may have been asked in this thread already but I haven't spotted it.

You do all your colour grading in post production, which is what I've been trying to do. And my question then is what settings do you pay most attention to in camera during the shoot? Are there particular picture profile preferences that you have? Or do you just sort of shoot neutral and save it all for post?
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:32 AM   #193
Trustee

Hi John

I do have some settings in Picture Profile but only subtle ones, I will make a list and post them. When editing myself I prefer to leave it pretty neutral. If it is for something that won't be graded I have heavier settings.
Old December 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM   #194
Major Player

I would love to have some picture profile suggestions Phil. Just got the camera yesterday. I'm used to the Cine preset on the DVX100, but I also just got Magic Bullet Looks and plan to use that and shoot neutral most of the time. Occasionally though I'll need a quick turnaround and would love to be able to achieve that look out of the camera. Thanks!
Rob Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM   #195
Inner Circle

Maybe we should start a separate thread on Picture Profiles. I could use some ideas with that too but it might make it hard to follow if it's all lumped into this thread.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds