XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 14 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM   #196
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
Hi Bill

As far as my experience goes I haven't experienced an increase in noise with CC. I do shoot everything -3db if I can. It isn't a completely noise free picture, if you look hard enough it is there. But it is minimal compared to all the other cameras I have used.

Philip
Are you editing and correcting in the native codec or ProRes? I'm under the impression that converting to ProRes would allow for better results when manipulating the image. Also, how do you get the picture from the Mac to a broadcast monitor while editing?

thanks
Mark OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2007, 08:08 PM   #197
Trustee

I have an aja kona lhe and I use component to go to my JVC monitor. I also sdi to a 26" Apple monitor through blackmagic decklink

i dont use pro res. The encoding is too slow. I suppose I could capture sdi live using the kona as pro res but that loses the point of tapeless workflow
Old December 23rd, 2007, 05:54 PM   #198
Trustee

Ok. Done a new short to test out my shift/ tilt lenses. 80% was done using the 65mm and 85mm Hartblei lenses. Go to my blog at www.philipbloom.co.uk and read all about it and see the film.

There is a 720p version linked at the bottom of the blog page!

Enjoy!
Old December 23rd, 2007, 07:38 PM   #199
Major Player

Freakin' beautiful. Though I'm getting tired of telling you that ... why don't you shoot something crappy for once and make the rest of us feel a bit better about ourselves? ;-)

I just watch the 720p version on my projector (11' wide cinemascope screen) and it was gorgeous. My little HV20 is having serious camera envy.
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM   #200
Regular Crew

Quote:
Ok. Done a new short to test out my shift/ tilt lenses. 80% was done using the 65mm and 85mm Hartblei lenses. Go to my blog at www.philipbloom.co.uk and read all about it and see the film.

There is a 720p version linked at the bottom of the blog page!

Enjoy!

I knew you'd like the super rotators... you have done well so far, keep
working the lenses, at longer distances... the magic of them will reward you....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2007, 08:14 PM   #201
Trustee

Very Lovely Philip.
I am very curious about the lenses as i've wanted to play with the tilt shift lenses for awhile.
I tried the Lensbaby and it was fun but the area that was sharp was just too small and not sharp enough. These look better.

What are these lenses and what mount do you need for them? Were you happy with them?

I seem to recall some negative reviews on the web, but they may be holding them to a higher standard than we need.

I loved what I saw from the website, but don't trust that I am getting a true sense of sharpness.

- Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:00 AM   #202
Regular Crew

Follow focus...

Hi Phillip,

Wonderful footage, Im truly learning a lot from your posts and greatly appreciate them.

I am wondering if you have ever used a follow focus with the Letus Extreme, and if so, what kind would you recommend? I contacted Letus and was told they have one in the works to be produced in 8 weeks. I plan on purchasing the LE and the Letus Rails, but was unsure if any follow focus would do (M2, Cinevate, Indie?) Thanks for your help and lovely footage.

Peace and Blessings,
Hidalgo
Danny Hidalgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:54 AM   #203
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Very Lovely Philip.
I am very curious about the lenses as i've wanted to play with the tilt shift lenses for awhile.
I tried the Lensbaby and it was fun but the area that was sharp was just too small and not sharp enough. These look better.

What are these lenses and what mount do you need for them? Were you happy with them?

I seem to recall some negative reviews on the web, but they may be holding them to a higher standard than we need.

I loved what I saw from the website, but don't trust that I am getting a true sense of sharpness.

- Lenny Levy
Hi Lenny

Way better than lensbaby. I haven't compared them to the Nikon's own versions but I love them. They are Hartblei http://www.hartblei.com/lenses/lens_35mm.htm

I have no problems with their quality at all. Did you download the 720p version?
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:56 AM   #204
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Freakin' beautiful. Though I'm getting tired of telling you that ... why don't you shoot something crappy for once and make the rest of us feel a bit better about ourselves? ;-)

I just watch the 720p version on my projector (11' wide cinemascope screen) and it was gorgeous. My little HV20 is having serious camera envy.
Thanks Joseph. Am actually going to try out the letus extreme HV20 combo soon to see how well it performs. It will be fiddly but no reason why you can't shoot great pics with it!
Old December 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM   #205
Trustee

Thanks Philip,
Keep us informed if you get any others. Do I recall that you have the 65 and the 80?

Do you know if the cheaper "Arsat's" are any worse? Those are "tilt-shift" instead of "TS-PC", whatever that means. I guess I'll write to them ask.

Have you tried them at open apertures - say 2.8 and 4? That's where I would expect to operate normally.

BTW largely your experience ( plus playing with the camera) that convinced me to go for it. I get mine after New Years. Thanks again for your generosity with information and examples. Beautiful work.

Lenny
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:11 PM   #206
Trustee

I have the 80 and 65. Would love the 35mm but it is super expensive. I have ordered one of the Arsat 35mm lenses. I will report back as soon as I get it!

I shot with them at 2.8 all the time.

Happy Holidays Leonard.

P.S. Got my Letus rails today. Very solid. Am impressed. Also got a mini. Will stick on the HV20 and try it out.
Old December 24th, 2007, 02:23 PM   #207
Trustee

Thanks, That's great to know they work at 2.8
Old December 25th, 2007, 02:53 AM   #208
Trustee

Anyone in the UK please watch Channel 5 every night this week at 7pm to see my Religion series of shorts shot on the ex1, some with and some without the Letus extreme
Old December 25th, 2007, 10:03 AM   #209
Regular Crew

Quote:
I have the 80 and 65. Would love the 35mm but it is super expensive. I have ordered one of the Arsat 35mm lenses. I will report back as soon as I get it!

I shot with them at 2.8 all the time.

Happy Holidays Leonard.

P.S. Got my Letus rails today. Very solid. Am impressed. Also got a mini. Will stick on the HV20 and try it out.
Hi Phil
I am looking forward to your review of the Letus rail system. I see you currently use the Cavision system, so your comparisons between the Letus and Cavision will be greatly appreciated. I plan to purchase a rail system soon, but I will wait for your findings of these two products before I make a decision.

I personally would like to thank you so much for the generous amount of time you give to this post. I really helps me and others I am sure as well.
Happy Holidays
Dennis Kane
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 11:31 AM   #210
Trustee

Hi Dennis.

Posted some thought on it on my blog!

Merry Christmas!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds