XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 28 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 28th, 2008, 03:05 AM   #406
Trustee

1080p version online on the trench page and blog
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #407

Phil...

I'm still waiting for my LEX. Once I have it, I'll run some new PP's and post. The CINEMA matrix I sent you is rather "experimental" Use it with care.
Best of luck on your trip to the colonies.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2008, 11:10 AM   #408
Trustee

Thanks Bill. Off tomorrow.
Old February 29th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #409
Trustee

I am hearing that a firmware update will be out potentially within a week. Although the only feature I have had confirmed is support for 32gb cards.

It will be done by connecting the camera to the computer via USB, the downloaded firmware will include a utility that will detect the ex1 is connected and update like that.
Old March 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM   #410
Trustee

Help Needed In Vegas

We are shooting a feature doco in many global locations and for 3 nights next weekend we will be in Las Vegas.

If anyone is available to help us out that would be great! We are a low budget small team consisting of me the DP, a Director, a Producer and a Sound Recordist. We could do with an assistant. Someone keen to learn and hang out with a bunch of very laid back people.

We are in LA at the moment and we may need someone here too, but the producer thinks he has found someone.

We are shooting on two EX1s, one of them with a Letus Extreme 35mm adaptor. We are also shooting at night!

Ideally you need to be local as all we can offer is the food expenses and the experience, but if you are interested drop me an email @ philip.bloom@mac.com

Thanks!
Old March 3rd, 2008, 10:36 AM   #411
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Bloom View Post
it's the component one. Need an sdi one. Need a true HD one. The Clarion looks like my next purchase. One guy makes them. they look great
Hi Phil,

Do you have more informations about the Clarion ? Can't find anything on google.
I had a look on B&H, and there seems to be no good panel for under 2500€ with HD-SDI.
The Marshall seems fine, but are only 800x480, where the Astro are 1024x768.
I also noticed that those LCD are around 30 watts, where cheaper one are 30/35 watts....

I have never used on field LCD other than Astro or BT-LH900. I'm about to start a new thread to ask for comments, but maybe you have advices ?

Thanks.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM   #412
Regular Crew

People in Vegas

Phil...I've actually had pretty good luck on Craigslist posting for AC's and PA's. You might want to post a listing on there in advance of the Vegas trip.

Good luck.
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:24 PM   #413
Major Player

Letus in Prague

Just posted 2 blog reports about my trip to Prague with EX1 and Letus footage.
Check it out @ http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...Blog/Blog.html
Old March 5th, 2008, 05:46 PM   #414
Trustee

hey Cahill,

stop hawking your blog on my page!! Dirty trickster!

Did you just chat up those young Czech girls to pose for you?!? Very nice!
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:47 PM   #415
Major Player

Someone has to hawk. Mr. Bloom get blogging! Looking for a installment state side.
Old March 5th, 2008, 06:52 PM   #416
Major Player

Steve, you said "I used Magic Bullet but I found going back and forth from MB to FCP showed the applied grade different from the two applications on the laptop must be a graphics card thing." Do you mean the rendered clip was different then what you set up in the preview? If so I've seen the same thing, and I don't think it's a graphics card issue. I've noticed that if you use the presets things usually match, but if you really customize the settings the rendered file can be quite different from what you expect. This from within both FCP and AE on a Mac Pro.
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:48 AM   #417
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Cahill View Post
Just posted 2 blog reports about my trip to Prague with EX1 and Letus footage.
Check it out @ http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve...Blog/Blog.html
Nice shoot. Nice girls :)
On the 2nd article we see you macbookpro with 3 hard drives. Are they alone, and you copy data 2 or 3 times, or are they in RAID ?
Are they firewire (400/800) or usb ? auto-power ?

Isn't the EX1 + Letus + rigs + matebox a little heavy and hard to manage alone ?

It seems the edges are really blury... is it because you don't have the EX1 special part or does it comes from your lenses (or MB ) ?

many thanks.
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 05:21 AM   #418
Major Player

Magic Bullet Looks, yes on the Mac Book Pro the model I have puts about a 3x effect more in FCP than in Looks. This seems to be a common issue with other people as well with the laptop that I have read on http://toolfarm.com/phorumNew5/list.php?14

This is NOT a issue on the MacPro I have tried to compensate in Looks but I need to tweak some more or just do the grade on the Mac Pro vers the Mac book pro.

The drives I used for this were G- Technology drives http://www.g-technology.com/Products/G-RAID-mini.cfm I used their firewire 800 ports. Power supplied via the 800 port but beware you will need the power adapter to use two of them @ the same time. The Macbook Pro cannot power more than one at a time when using firewire with them. I copied the SXS cards 2x for backup, and another drive for the transfer of the SXS cards data to Quicktime for editing.

The EX1 + Letus + rigs + matebox are a bit I would say akward and challanging to manage alone at times, but welcome to the business. There is a advantage to work alone and quickly.

"It seems the edges are really blury."
I do have the EX fix, but welcome to DOF unless the object you are shooting is flat and you are aligned to that object like photographing a painting or a dollar bill, square on, (see my blog on "Critical Focus" )then you will get areas out of focus. That being said the DOF is extremely shallow when the lens is wide open and or stopped down one stop. With the 85mm lens and with a tight shot the difference of 1/2 inch in the subjects surface can make the difference of that being in focus or not. I think MB might of added some softness with some of the grades I used.

This is a area I need to do more testing with stopping down, I have generally found 2 stops is the max you can stop down, however with these DOF adapters stopping down too much can result in the grain of the DOF adapter showing, so more testing is needed here. I use the 85mm lens allot as I love the DOF that it produces. It is a difficult lens to use wide open.

You will be challanged with critical focus at every point with DOF adapters and even more so when on location and when shooting in HD and the subject is moving!
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #419
Trustee

will be blogging as soon as I can catch my breath on this shoot
Old March 12th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #420
Major Player

Interviews with the Zylight

Meanwhile as Philip catches his breath, take a look at a new short using the Zylight for interviews I did on my overseas trip.

http://web.mac.com/stevecahill/Steve..._Zylight.html#

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds