XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 26 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 23rd, 2008, 06:44 PM   #376
Major Player

Yes. I just bought one. $49.95 including shipping.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 07:34 PM   #377
Trustee

That little thing looks pretty cool for 19.95.

Have any of you guys tried just using a monopod? I have disliked the shoulder supports because they limit your mobility which is what I prize when handheld.

I've been using a monopod with a cheap manfrotto tilt head on the top that gets tucked into fanny pack on my waist for years now and I love it. The weight is well distributed and I've run for long periods of time with an HVX and a marshall mounted on the HVX. The tilt head is neccessary for flexibility

Nice thing is you can adjust the length easily. It has complete flexibility if you want to be low or even extremely high overhead. You can tilt at an angle (hard with a shoulder support) or do a little boom up with ease. I can drop it to carry at my knee level with no problem and it still helps to stabilize. I can put it down on a table or any surface and either rest or or shoot from there with no hassle. And I can carry it around while I'm working.

For long interviews you can drop it to the ground and triangulate with the weight off you.

I use a giotto quick release and then have the same on on my tripod so I can switch easily.

Nice thing is you can adapt it also to use with a 2/3" size camera also and it will still help considerably.

Cost - about $150 with the quick release. This has saved my back dozens of times.

(just posted this on your blog as well Phil.)

Lenny Levy
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2008, 09:38 PM   #378
Major Player

Phil,

It looks like the battle footage was all shot using only available light, and given the cloud cover, it doesn't look like there would have been much.

Were you challenged in getting such beautiful footage in those conditions?
Old February 23rd, 2008, 10:39 PM   #379
Trustee

Yes Gerald,as the others have pointed out,it's on ebay,i've just looked again myself,on ebay .co.uk and .com.
Just type in "shoulder support" in the search bar.

Paul.
Old February 24th, 2008, 03:57 AM   #380
Regular Crew

thanks gentlemen! I just ordered this shoulder support.

regards,
Gerald
Gerald Loidl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #381
Trustee

The edit is up on my blog. It's just a fun edit. NOT the finished short film, that is being cut by the director and will be about 7 minutes long. This is just a 2 minute fun tease!
Old February 24th, 2008, 05:03 PM   #382
Trustee

better version now up with nicer sound and a couple of changed shots. 720p version to follow
Old February 25th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #383
Trustee

Another new version up with better grading. I do think the adaptor and non adaptor footage match quite well.

Available in letus section as well as blog.
Old February 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM   #384
Major Player

Much better colour correction Phil. I didn't like the sky blue in that silloette scene before as the blue was too rich. Now you have toned it down dramatically it looks much more realistic. Less is always more.

Leanard, I also use a monopod and swear by the Manfrotto 561B. Its got a quick release Manfrotto tilt head head and is made for Camcorders.

It has three pull out feet at the bottom and a gimbal down there for tilts. Very smooth, takes the weight and gets completely rid of camera shake.

I own the cheapo shoulder brace and it works fine and is great value. But if you are fairly stationary, but want to move quickly from one spot to another without filming on the move, this beats the shoulder brace by a distance.

http://www.dvcreators.net/?s=561B
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #385
Inner Circle

I second that. The Manfrotto 561B has become my favourite support to use with the EX1 (I also have this cheap Chineese thing, and the PAG Orbitor).

Oh, and Phil: marvellous job, as usual :)
Old February 25th, 2008, 10:05 PM   #386
Trustee

I think I'm using the same monopod but i don't have the one with the little feet at the bottom. Always wondered about that option - maybe mine is a 560?

I tried about 10 shoulder mounts at NAB 2 years ago and hated all of them because they limited my mobility. Then I was on a long handheld doc and another cameraman turned me on to to a simple monopod. The tilt head is what made it work though, I didn't like it without a tilt head.

Steve I didn't quite get what you use the cheap shoulder brace for. I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me. I don't mind walking with the monopod braced in my fanny pack.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #387
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
I think I'm using the same monopod but i don't have the one with the little feet at the bottom. Always wondered about that option - maybe mine is a 560?

I tried about 10 shoulder mounts at NAB 2 years ago and hated all of them because they limited my mobility. Then I was on a long handheld doc and another cameraman turned me on to to a simple monopod. The tilt head is what made it work though, I didn't like it without a tilt head.

Steve I didn't quite get what you use the cheap shoulder brace for. I'm wondering if it would be worth it for me. I don't mind walking with the monopod braced in my fanny pack.
the cheap shoulder brace takes the weight of the ex1 letting you operate it at the correct height for prolonged periods of time and is very light. you can even let go
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:06 AM   #388
Major Player

Phil, you didn't answer one question :

was it shot with ambiant light only ?

my question :

Did you changed something on the explosion shot ? Did you changed the shutter speed so it is charper ?
Do you like this "action effect" ?
Did you try to get it with normal settings ?

and one more for the road :-)
Are the slow motion 720p@60fps ?
Sebastien Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #389
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas View Post
Phil, you didn't answer one question :

was it shot with ambiant light only ?

my question :

Did you changed something on the explosion shot ? Did you changed the shutter speed so it is charper ?
Do you like this "action effect" ?
Did you try to get it with normal settings ?

and one more for the road :-)
Are the slow motion 720p@60fps ?
Yes all available light!

All the clean EX1 stuff was shot with 1/250 shutter in. Including the explosions. Yes, it's the look I love and suggested to the director for the action shots and no we didn't shoot with shutter off just in case and we had limited explosives.

All slow motion 720p @ 60fps although some slowed down to 50% using twixtor on top of that!
Old February 26th, 2008, 04:35 AM   #390
Trustee

Phil,i know thw slow motion was shot in 720p,what about the rest ?
Was that 720p/50p also ?
Thanks.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds