XDCAM EX1 on the road blog - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 4th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #76
Regular Crew

Phillip, aside from his obvious talent, has proven that all the over analysis is really meaningless when you see what can be achieved with this camera in the right hands.

his footage is really beautiful. pretty simple.

vince
Vince Gaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 05:56 AM   #77
Inner Circle

Phil,

Like all the others, I've watched every single clip and still of yours - simply marvellous job. The camera you've used I will hopefully have soon, but the skills you have? - probably never. Congratualtions!
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:17 PM   #78
Trustee

Thanks guys.

my blog is updated and includes a link to the first edited short shot on the EX1 clean, with no adaptor. It's only 700x400 at the moment. I don't want to abuse Maxim's generous offer of hosting.

It's a very sweet piece about a protestant family on the Scottish Isle of Mull to run on Channel 5 on Christmas Eve.
Old December 7th, 2007, 04:55 PM   #79
Major Player

Phil,
You probably know this, but .mac has turned off the spigot on your site. too much of a good thing. ;-)
Joseph H. Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:00 PM   #80
Trustee

spigot as in plug? It is working again... www.philipbloom.net only problem is when I moved servers I lost all my blog comments!
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM   #81
Major Player

Sorry, might be an American term:

spigot |ˈspigət|
noun
1 a small peg or plug, esp. for insertion into the vent of a cask.
2 a faucet.
• a device for controlling the flow of liquid in a faucet.
3 the plain end of a section of a pipe fitting into the socket of the next one.
ORIGIN Middle English : perhaps an alteration of Provençal espigou(n), from Latin spiculum, diminutive of spicum, variant of spica (see spica ).
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #82
Regular Crew

I loved the new interview stuff. For me, this thread has become more about your talent, then the cameras ability to capture an image. A lot of the time people on filmmaking forums get lost in the numbers, not the content. Great job Philip!

Richard
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #83
Trustee

all those plumbers terms. I knew I was in the wrong profession!
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:19 PM   #84
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Clark View Post
I loved the new interview stuff. For me, this thread has become more about your talent, then the cameras ability to capture an image. A lot of the time people on filmmaking forums get lost in the numbers, not the content. Great job Philip!

Richard
Very kind Richard, I see you have an HVX and EX1. How you finding the comparison?

I LOVED using my ex1 on this job. My producer was somewhat concerned over the lack of tapes or discs and she really was worried when I couldn't get an interview onto the mac that was split across two cards (still not worked out what is going on but found a way to grab it, would love to find out exactly what I am supposed to do) but she was loving the very light tripod!

I always have found without a 35mm adaptor using a smaller camera is a compromise in picture/ optics quality. For the first time I would happily use this small camera instead of a full size one. I still prefer the form factor and flexibility of my F350 but this little beauty performs stunningly. Ignore all the Long GOP and vignette fears. At the end of the day this camera produces stunning images.
Old December 7th, 2007, 05:37 PM   #85
Major Player

Phil,
Interview looks great, as usual. Always a pleasure to view your footy. I guess I'm a real sucker for controlled DOF, though. I couldn't help wishing you had lugged the Letus and a few choice lenses so that you could have selectively focused my attention on the subjects.
Old December 7th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #86
Trustee

Phil I just watched your "protestants whole sd.mp4"
You are a "true" artist my friend.
The EX1 looks unreal!

Then again, I bet you could take a $200 DV camera and produce nice stuff! LOL
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 04:53 AM   #87
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph H. Moore View Post
Phil,
Interview looks great, as usual. Always a pleasure to view your footy. I guess I'm a real sucker for controlled DOF, though. I couldn't help wishing you had lugged the Letus and a few choice lenses so that you could have selectively focused my attention on the subjects.
I was planning on bringing it but I broke it after the Piccadilly Furs shoot, Hien sent me a replacement that same day but due to the weekend being what it is I didn't get it in time, close but not quite.

It gave me a nice chance to shoot with the EX1 clean for a change anyway. I shot the 4th short on Thursday back in London with a Jewish family. I used the extreme for some shots and the interviews. It looked amazing and added so much!

Oh and thanks again Steven!
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:27 AM   #88
Regular Crew

Love your stuff, Phil, thanks for sharing.

To help fill the wait for the arrival of my EX1, I'd be interested to hear the process you're following from EX1 to broadcast - what format and resolution is the master you deliver to TV stations?
Peter Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:29 AM   #89
Trustee

Thanks,

Fortunately as the broadaster takes XDCAM discs so I downconvert to SD and deliver it on that. Otherwise I would have to put it onto DVCAM or hire a digi deck.
Old December 8th, 2007, 07:44 AM   #90
Major Player

Phil - for us in the UK, do you have the broadcast dates and times?

Cheers, Nick
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds