What are you editing on? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:34 PM   #46
Major Player

Craig

Could you outline your system a little more in detail? I have a Dual 2GHz G5, 2.5GB RAM, 10.4.11, FCP 6.0.2, two regular drives internal, ATI XT800XT 256, SATA card in slot 2 or 3, two striped drives out in an external box talking to the SATA card. Sony MXF driver, EX importer 2.1, both working fine.

I see the clips, can play them well in the Sony player, but as soon as I import them into 6.0.2 I get massive wait times for clips to load and stuttering motion.

Can't figure it out. The original files are on the same striped drives, and both they and the imported QT files play fine without stuttering. It's just the FCP 6.0.2 that's doing it...

What's going on?

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I'll 2nd Eric. It's amazing that my aging Dual G5 can handle XDCAM without a hitch. FCP 6.0.2 is a spectacular edit system. Apple and Sony really jumped on EX1 compatibility.
Chris Leong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:05 PM   #47
Major Player

I've seen that behavior from time to time on my MacBook Pro and have never been able to pinpoint it. Takes like 5 to 8 seconds after you hit play for the clip to start, and then its playback is tenuous.

I don't have a solution except to say that since it happens on my Intel, it's probably not a G5 thing.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM   #48
Major Player

Hey Eric
Maybe it's a QT 7.4 thing?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:52 PM   #49
Inner Circle

Dual 2.3GHz, PCI-X slots empty, 1.5GB RAM, AGP slot ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB VRAM, Hitachi 500MB 2nd internal hard drive, OS 10.4.11, FCP 6.0.2, QT 7.3.1
So we're talking about minimal system and XDCAM EX play without issue in FCP. No spinning beach balls. I have less RAM and less VRAM than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leong View Post
Craig

Could you outline your system a little more in detail? I have a Dual 2GHz G5, 2.5GB RAM, 10.4.11, FCP 6.0.2, two regular drives internal, ATI XT800XT 256, SATA card in slot 2 or 3, two striped drives out in an external box talking to the SATA card. Sony MXF driver, EX importer 2.1, both working fine.

I see the clips, can play them well in the Sony player, but as soon as I import them into 6.0.2 I get massive wait times for clips to load and stuttering motion.

Can't figure it out. The original files are on the same striped drives, and both they and the imported QT files play fine without stuttering. It's just the FCP 6.0.2 that's doing it...

What's going on?

Chris
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:22 PM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Leong View Post
Hey Eric
Maybe it's a QT 7.4 thing?
I can't remember, but I think it happened before 7.4.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:28 PM   #51
Major Player

Craig
I'll try to reinstall QT 7.3 and see if that helps any. I have 7.4.0 installed. You never know...
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:50 PM   #52
Major Player

If you have Time Machine working, I've read (on the link below) that you can use that to go back to 7.3, though I honestly wouldn't know exactly what to keep or throw away.

More info on 7.3 vs. 7.4 here:

http://arstechnica.com/journals/appl...7-4-update-yet
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds