Picture profile question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:37 PM   #1
Major Player

Picture profile question

hi all,

Im shooting a music video tomorrow and I wanted to ask about the picture profiles. So far Ive not played with the picture profiles much. But Im currently shooting with one with every setting at preset except using Cine4.

I like the way Cine4 eases the overexposed parts if there are any. But the problem is that if shooting a cloudy sky for example you loose a lot of latitude in the clouds. It kinda dulls them a lot.

So my question is does the Cine4 setting do something that I am not able to do in post? And should I just shoot with PP off?

Thanks!

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Major Player

Cine 4 opens up the shadows (as well as rolling off the highlights), which is something that if you did in post, would probably reveal more noise and compression artifacts than if you did it in camera, before the codec.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:52 PM   #3
Major Player

thanks Eric! So I think the safest bet is to choose the mode according to what Im shooting.

sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Major Player

There's always that delicate balance of doing some adjustment before the codec for the best possible quality, but leaving yourself enough options in post.

I always favor a a reasonably flat image with as much info as possible, and then throw it away later when grading.

But others have completely different appraoches, especially if they won't be talking the images though post.

It really depends, as you said, on the shot, and the workflow and nature of the job.
Eric Pascarelli is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds