Backpack for the EX1 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 16th, 2008, 01:19 AM   #31
Major Player

I have the HB207 for my V1E that is smaller than EX1. If you carry full range equipment (laptop, lenses, mics, batteries, etc) you will need the 207, the 205 might be too small. Also for a 17" laptop I think its tight, even my 12" Powerbook is difficult to fit in the 207 if I carry a lot of stuff.
The InsertTrolley option is a must if you travel by plane - also very useful if you shoot in a city environment - your equipment will be super heavy after a while if you carry on your back (you have challenged your back bones anyways a lot as a videographer...)
The InsertTrolley comes with 2 settings for the wheels, a wider for balanced pull and a narrow for tight places, e.g. the aisle of a plane.

I have developed a simple "cheat" for check in. I would hate to think about what may happen to my stuff if checked in, damage, loss etc.
So I don't even show up at the check in counter with the HB207, I leave it in the car or with the person who follow me to the airport.
I check my other luggage in and carry a small sling bag as hand luggage. After check in I take my backpack and if the staff placed a hand luggage tag on my sling bag, I shift it to my backpack.
It is simple and it always worked for me.
The HB207 is not bigger for size than any other carry all bag but the weight of the stuff is usually more than 10kg, so I have no other choice but do this trick. The backpack will fit in most overhead compartment, you may need to remove the InsertTrolley and fold it up.
Have a nice flight :)
Old February 16th, 2008, 06:13 AM   #32
Regular Crew

Tenba messenger

I got the Tenba Gen3 Messenger bag yesterday. It's a tight fit, but it works, and there's not a lot of space for all the STUFF you need to take a trip- charger, computer charger, etc. But, I think it will meet my needs- I'll have to play with it a bit to make it work, but that's the way it is with everything.
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:11 PM   #33
Regular Crew

A post-travel report on the Tenba Messenger bag

For what it's worth:

I flew to Berlin with my EX1 yesterday inside my Tenba bag. My worries centered around the regional jet flight connecting to the international flight. The bag fit just fine under the seat in the Canadair Regional jet, but did NOT fit under the seat of the Airbus A330 to Frankfurt! Alas, it went well in the overhead bin.

Long and short: this was a good choice!
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2008, 02:53 PM   #34
Major Player

I just travelled for the week with my new Kata HB-207. It fits everything great (EX-1) batteries, charger, mics, and my 17" laptop. as well as a small USB hard drive. I was concerned about getting hassled by airline people, and it certainly was not light, but I got through everywhere. Took 4 flights and it always fit in the overhead (albeit tightly on a Philly-Boston commuter jet). It is a "real" backpack and worked very well the previous week when I took my camera while snowshoeing.
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM   #35
New Boot

2 carry ons?

Hey Guys - I appreciate your posts a bunch! Thanks!

I am in this boat at the moment - just ordered my EX1 and now trying to get a bag, case, or backpack for my needs.

I currently use a backpack to carry a laptop and books while traveling, and every time I get away carrying yet another (small) item. I also read somewhere that regulations make exceptions for camera bags... is that true? I also remember reading somewhere that TSA & airlines allow one "carry on" item and one "personal" item (i.e. purse, camera, briefcase, etc,). Is that still the case?

If so, I am thinking about getting the smallest camera bag I can find that will fit the EX1 and use my backpack for my laptop and accessories? Any thoughts?

thanks!
-sutton
Sutton Yamanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM   #36
Regular Crew

I typically use my HB207 when flying to fit my laptop and any travel items I need while on my trip. I'll then pack my EX1 (with other accessories) in a Pelican 1560 and check it. Then when I get to my backpack to hold the camera as I hike around.
I use to carry the EX1 in the HB207 but I had a couple problems flying internationally and security asking that I check my backpack. And I really didn't want to do that with the camera in it.
If you want to carry the camera on the plane, I'd get the smallest bag possible (without the laptop in it THEN just get a sleeve for you laptop and carry that separate (like a purse).
Attached Thumbnails
Backpack for the EX1-img_2585-2-13-.jpg  
Old May 6th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #37
Regular Crew

I use the CineBags backpack with the EX1, and it will fit the camera plus a 15 inch Macbook Pro, both chargers, a couple of batteries, and some other small accessories. I am almost sure it will NOT fit a 17 inch laptop, because the 15 is already tight. I haven't flown with it yet, but my best guess is not under the seat, but yes to a normal overhead bin (it's a great deal smaller than the rollaboards executives routinely shove in the bins).I bet it'll even go in a regional jet overhead bins, although maybe not the tiny ones on some prop planes.

-Dan
Dan Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:59 AM   #38
Trustee

Petrol has 2 options for backpacks
1. PCBP-3N (Cocoon 2) USD270
Nice and comfortable, 17" LCD but no wheels
http://www.petrolbags.com/products/C...P-3/PCBP-3.htm

2. PCTB-3 USD350
Wheel type. Looks nice for air travel for the overhead compartment. Able to backpack as well
http://www.petrolbags.com/products/C...B-3/PCTB-3.htm

Kata
3. HB 207 - USD265
Said to be well build and nice too. Options to add wheels!
http://www.kata-bags.com/Item.asp?pi...d=1&ProdLine=1
Sean Seah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:14 AM   #39
Trustee

Could someone post a photo of the EX1 in the Kata 207 bag? Thks!
Old May 27th, 2008, 11:33 AM   #40
Regular Crew

Kata 207 with EX1

With and without shotgun/Rycote filling in space by camera handle

Velcro mounted bags hold SxS cards, cables and Zoe lens controller

Any suggestions welcome as to a better way to use the 207!

Dave McCallister
Attached Thumbnails
Backpack for the EX1-dsc02376.jpg   Backpack for the EX1-dsc02377.jpg  

Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #41
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCallister View Post
With and without shotgun/Rycote filling in space by camera handle

Velcro mounted bags hold SxS cards, cables and Zoe lens controller

Any suggestions welcome as to a better way to use the 207!

Dave McCallister
Dave, Do you have the naked lens of the EX resting straight against the inner lining of the backpack? Wont it rub against it an scratch? Or do you have a cap on it? I have the same backpack and usually carry it with the hood piece on.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #42
Regular Crew

Dave,

I have the same backpack and pack the camera the exact same way you have i with the exception that I keep the lens hood on so the cam takes up all the room top to bottom in the bag with the other sections on the side (just as you do).

Great bag.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM   #43
Trustee

thks for the quick response! I cant get to see the real thing here until I buy it! Will check out the Petrol bag thou.. the Cocoon is the same price range.
Old May 28th, 2008, 01:08 AM   #44
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Kubalsky View Post
Dave, Do you have the naked lens of the EX resting straight against the inner lining of the backpack? Wont it rub against it an scratch? Or do you have a cap on it? I have the same backpack and usually carry it with the hood piece on.
In order to fit the wide angle lens in the case I had to take off the lens hood. I use either a clear 77mm protective glass or a UV-Haze filter so the lens is not exposed. Maybe I can find a better way to do this and keep the hood on.
Dave McCallister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM   #45
Major Player

Not sure if you can see the attached pic, but this is my kata backpack - being carried by my Chinese translator - she is less than 5 feet tall and weighs 95Ib, but she loves carrying my fully loaded backpack!
I havent seen this bag for a few years and I wish I had 2 more of them. This holds the cam, with lens hood, 3 mics, 3 batteries, chargers, xlr cables, 15inch Macbook Pro, 150G portable hardrive, a rain slick and sandwiches.
You get a set of wheels that slide thro the back, if it gets too heavy - but it feels light as a feather on your back, which is the point, especially for me, filming in mountain regions.
This will fit into overhead comps on the plane. No idea if this bag is still made though.
Attached Thumbnails
Backpack for the EX1-kata.jpg  
Jon Braeley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds