Backpack for the EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 10th, 2008, 09:53 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Kata HB-205 or 207

With EX1 and MacBook Pro inserted (and a few accessories), do you think these bags will fit under the seat in an airplane?
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #17
Major Player

The big Petrol I have, that holds a 17" laptop and the EX1 with matte box attached will NOT noway go under an aircraft seat. Most airlines would have you check this in as baggage.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:11 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Same with my Kata BP-502, I'm afraid - too large...
Old February 10th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #19
Regular Crew

I have an HB-205...I haven't traveled with it yet, but I would hazard a guess that it will not fit under a seat, but would fit in the overhead.

So far, I have had a great experience with the bag. I'm carrying around the EX1, battery, charger, cables (they fit nicely in the little area on the top of the bag) and I could easily fit a wireless pack and receiver in there as well as a shotgun mic.
Old February 11th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #20
Regular Crew

I saw mention on another post of someone removing the viewfinder to fit the camera in a smaller bag. I have yet to use the EVF and if I found a way to cover the opening would be willing to carry it as an accessory. I broke off one protruding Sony viewfinder and feel like the camera would be more compact without it. Anyone try this? I do a lot of nature videography and need to travel light.
Chip Curry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 12:22 PM   #21
Major Player

If you need to fly with your camera I would get a small bag for the camera only and check all the other stuff.
Michael H. Stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Does the kata 205 have the compartment for a laptop?

From what i can tell on the kata website the 207 does but not the 205.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 06:42 PM   #23
Regular Crew

I bought a Tenba case for laptop and EX1. Not a backpack but probably the smallest combo laptop case you could fit the EX1 in.

http://www.tenba.com/pc-953-6-photol...bag-black.aspx
Bryan Suthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2008, 07:56 PM   #24
Major Player

I just ordered the Kata HB-207. There is a post on the first page from Simon Cox who has this bag and said it fits a 17" MacBookPro as well as the EX-1. I emailed him about it and he said it has worked as a carry-on bag. I should get it in a couple days and am flying with it in a couple weeks. Will let you all know how it looks, but coming from one user (Simon) he says thumbs up!
Benjamin Eckstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:13 AM   #25
Major Player

I got the 207

I got the Kata 207, nice backpack well made. Not light, large but well balanced and holds the EX1 nicely. I like the hip straps, like a pro backpack. Not a super amount of extra room, but protects it nicely. I have the EX1 mounted with the left side toward the 'back' side of the pack. If mounted vertically it sticks out a bit too much. I have to get used to the tripod rig it has. Seems with it mounted directly behind it's a bit too much leveraged weight and not comfortable.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2008, 01:24 AM   #26
New Boot

Kata 207

The Kata 207 is too big to fit under the seats on an aircraft - but fits easily inside the overhead baggage crate. I'm traveling from LA to the UK with it on Sunday and have managed a few flights so far without a hassle. I've certainly seen much larger carry on bags - especially the wheely type cases that people seem to use a lot. Weight wise, with a laptop and the camera (plus the batteries you now have to carry in hand luggage - though I'm not totally sure what the limits are - anyone know? I have one small and two large Sony batts for the EX1), it does go overweight for most carriers hand baggage allowance - so far, both Virgin and BA have turned a blind eye to this in my case. Other people undoubtedly carry heavier bags on board. I tend to pack all other equipment (mics, charger, light etc) separately to keep the weight down.

Hope this helps.
Simon Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Regional jets

Thanks for all this advice. It's great to have a community like this to help make expensive purchase decisions!

My main issue regards smaller, regional jets. Flying internationally is no issue- these are always large jets with plenty of overhead bin space. BUT- in order to connect with these large jets flown from hub airports, I have to always fly a small jet from a small airport (sometimes even larger ones) to that hub. Therein lies the problem.

I have flown before on a Canadair regional jet where there were tiny overhead bins and NO closet space. If there had not been an empty seat beside me, I would have been in a real sticky spot- I would have had to either gate-check my computer, or my camera. Neither would have been an acceptable option.

If there's a bag small enough to put an EX1 plus my 15" MacBook Pro together and still fit under the seat, life is good. If not, it's a Pelican case for the EX1 and I'm checking it- taking the Lithium Ion battery out, cuz they don't like those in checked baggage anymore...

And it's sounding like there's no bag available that will do this. Am I correct?
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:09 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Suthard View Post
I bought a Tenba case for laptop and EX1. Not a backpack but probably the smallest combo laptop case you could fit the EX1 in.

http://www.tenba.com/pc-953-6-photol...bag-black.aspx
Could you post a photograph of your bag with the EX1 in it?
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:15 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven D. Martin View Post
Thanks for all this advice. It's great to have a community like this to help make expensive purchase decisions!

My main issue regards smaller, regional jets. Flying internationally is no issue- these are always large jets with plenty of overhead bin space. BUT- in order to connect with these large jets flown from hub airports, I have to always fly a small jet from a small airport (sometimes even larger ones) to that hub. Therein lies the problem.

I have flown before on a Canadair regional jet where there were tiny overhead bins and NO closet space. If there had not been an empty seat beside me, I would have been in a real sticky spot- I would have had to either gate-check my computer, or my camera. Neither would have been an acceptable option.

If there's a bag small enough to put an EX1 plus my 15" MacBook Pro together and still fit under the seat, life is good. If not, it's a Pelican case for the EX1 and I'm checking it- taking the Lithium Ion battery out, cuz they don't like those in checked baggage anymore...

And it's sounding like there's no bag available that will do this. Am I correct?
I travel alot on planes so I can understand your woes. I often travel with a stills camera & a 600mm lens - airlines can be such a pain.

For me I don't like checking expensive items when I travel due to the fact that they go missing. Insurance replaces them when I get home but not when I'm on that trip.

My advice to you would be get a bag that fits your EX1 and is allowed on a international jet. If you are faced with a regional jet that won't take it I would take off your jacket and/ borrow a blanket roll your EX1 in that and put under your seat / above your head.

That said if the EX1 will fit under your seat then I am sure there must be bag of sorts that it will fit in a go under your seat.
Brendan Pyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2008, 06:30 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Pyatt View Post
For me I don't like checking expensive items when I travel due to the fact that they go missing. Insurance replaces them when I get home but not when I'm on that trip.

My advice to you would be get a bag that fits your EX1 and is allowed on a international jet. If you are faced with a regional jet that won't take it I would take off your jacket and/ borrow a blanket roll your EX1 in that and put under your seat / above your head.
Thanks for your common sense answer! Many times I miss the obvious, low-tech solutions!

One of the reasons I purchased the EX1 was that it was smaller and more sturdy than my JVC HD100, which is very gangly and fragile in comparison. I had no choice but to put the JVC in a big Pelican case, check it, and hope for the best. I hope those days are behind me.

Last edited by Steven D. Martin; February 13th, 2008 at 07:59 AM.
Steven D. Martin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds