DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX1 to Tape at the same time question/help (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/114907-ex1-tape-same-time-question-help.html)

Gary Powell February 15th, 2008 09:59 AM

EX1 to Tape at the same time question/help

Ok I one of those sony miniDV decks and I just got the EX1, I have a potential job where I need to hand material over at the end of the day, SD is fine. And I'm hoping/looking to connect the EX1 to the deck and record to miniDV.

Now I tried connecting the Audio/Video out to the RCA ins on the deck and the deck didn't see the picture, so I thought weird and pluged it into a tv and that didn't get the signal. The component out to a monitor worked, but that doesn't solve my problem. Is there something I'm missing with the A/V out? Also would a firewire connection to the deck work? Any help would be great. Thanks guys.

Robert M Wright February 15th, 2008 10:34 AM

I don't have an EX1, but you should be able to record via firewire at the 25mbps setting.

Matt Davis February 15th, 2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary Powell (Post 826823)
Is there something I'm missing with the A/V out? Also would a firewire connection to the deck work?

OTOH, set the EX-1 to output 25 Mbps HDV at the firewire plug, connect the Sony M15 deck, and set the deck to downconvert HDV to DV or DVCAM. It was the main reason I purchased the M15.

Craig Seeman February 15th, 2008 11:43 AM

If you bring a laptop to the shoot you could burn the cards onto DL-DVD and include both the Mac and Windows Sony Clip Browser.

You won't need to bring a deck. Bringing a laptop would probably be easier.
You can burn DL-DVD faster than dub to tape.
No cable to deck to worry about.
No other recording that you then have to QC.
Your client won't need a deck.
The client will be able to play the source clips in their original quality on either Mac or Windows CPU.

Sony M15U is about $1800. For $2000 you can get a MacBookPro and get as much record time as you need (limited by hard drive space) with Express card Xfer rates somewhere between 6x-10x. If you're a Windows person you may be able to get a good Sony Vaio laptop for less.

Andrew Wilson February 15th, 2008 12:18 PM

Your AV outs aren't working because you need to switch them on/off in the menus. Check page 118 of your manual for the proper settings for the output you're looking for.

Gary Powell February 15th, 2008 01:01 PM

Thanks everyone, the deck I have isn't the HDV deck its the old "Mini DV VCR Video Walkman" Sony GVD1000, I think that's the model number. I was looking through the manual, and did see that. Thanks, going to check it out now. p.118

Gary Powell February 16th, 2008 05:36 PM

Yep that was what I was missing I had to turn off the other outputs for the A/V out to work. (Sigh)