EX1 to Tape at the same time question/help at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #1
New Boot

EX1 to Tape at the same time question/help

Ok I one of those sony miniDV decks and I just got the EX1, I have a potential job where I need to hand material over at the end of the day, SD is fine. And I'm hoping/looking to connect the EX1 to the deck and record to miniDV.

Now I tried connecting the Audio/Video out to the RCA ins on the deck and the deck didn't see the picture, so I thought weird and pluged it into a tv and that didn't get the signal. The component out to a monitor worked, but that doesn't solve my problem. Is there something I'm missing with the A/V out? Also would a firewire connection to the deck work? Any help would be great. Thanks guys.
Gary Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I don't have an EX1, but you should be able to record via firewire at the 25mbps setting.
Robert M Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Powell View Post
Is there something I'm missing with the A/V out? Also would a firewire connection to the deck work?
OTOH, set the EX-1 to output 25 Mbps HDV at the firewire plug, connect the Sony M15 deck, and set the deck to downconvert HDV to DV or DVCAM. It was the main reason I purchased the M15.
Matt Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 11:43 AM   #4
Inner Circle

If you bring a laptop to the shoot you could burn the cards onto DL-DVD and include both the Mac and Windows Sony Clip Browser.

You won't need to bring a deck. Bringing a laptop would probably be easier.
You can burn DL-DVD faster than dub to tape.
No cable to deck to worry about.
No other recording that you then have to QC.
Your client won't need a deck.
The client will be able to play the source clips in their original quality on either Mac or Windows CPU.

Sony M15U is about $1800. For $2000 you can get a MacBookPro and get as much record time as you need (limited by hard drive space) with Express card Xfer rates somewhere between 6x-10x. If you're a Windows person you may be able to get a good Sony Vaio laptop for less.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #5
Tourist

Your AV outs aren't working because you need to switch them on/off in the menus. Check page 118 of your manual for the proper settings for the output you're looking for.
Andrew Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2008, 01:01 PM   #6
New Boot

Thanks everyone, the deck I have isn't the HDV deck its the old "Mini DV VCR Video Walkman" Sony GVD1000, I think that's the model number. I was looking through the manual, and did see that. Thanks, going to check it out now. p.118
Gary Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2008, 05:36 PM   #7
New Boot

Yep that was what I was missing I had to turn off the other outputs for the A/V out to work. (Sigh)
Gary Powell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds