EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 23rd, 2008, 09:39 AM   #106
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Park View Post
Ryan,
Any update on the vignetting issue with the .6x wide angle?
We have experienced this issue with less than 1% of the units shipped. It is an issue with the spacing of the lock ring and the individual camera.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM   #107
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Avery View Post
Most customers using Tele-Attachments are interested in the central part of the image, and the shallow depth of field mixes with any off axis issues to the extent that the customer is satisfied with the results. We have sold 1000's of the 1.6x with very few complaints.
Hi Ryan,

Thanks for your comments. I think that one of the main concerns would be the numerous instances where the subject may be centered (i.e. Paul's license plate example) where the goal is to have the subject filling more of the frame (thus the 1.6X). It just looks a bit odd to have the plates at one level of focus and the tail lights at another when they occupy the same depth of field.

Could you provide some of the samples that Century has produced in testing this lens that show performance at a near and far point of focus? It would be very helpful in seeing if I am realizing the norm for this lens' performance or an anomoly.

Thanks again.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM   #108
Major Player

Quote:
We have experienced this issue with less than 1% of the units shipped. It is an issue with the spacing of the lock ring and the individual camera.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan,

I and a couple of others here are part of the 1%. Is there any way to fix my 0.6X lens - it vignettes very badly from about 6.5 - 12mm.

Is the only solution a return - and if I do will the new one also vignette?

Look forward to your reply.
Old May 24th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #109
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
The message is pretty clear Sutton. Buy Sony's pretty feeble 0.8x with its attached hood or abandon the idea completely. The Fujinon doesn't take kindly to add-ons, and the Bolex Aspheron (0.52x) that I've used for many years on other cameras is unuseable on the EX1.
Thanks Tom. That was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I have actually been impressed with some of the video I have seen others post while using the Sony 0.8x. I am just a little shocked that there isn't a better option yet.

cheers,
-sutton
Sutton Yamanashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 07:50 AM   #110
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutton Yamanashi View Post
Thanks Tom. That was exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! I have actually been impressed with some of the video I have seen others post while using the Sony 0.8x. I am just a little shocked that there isn't a better option yet.

cheers,
-sutton
I was asked by my local shop to check out and post some images of the new ZUNOW Optics 0.75 Wide Angle adaptor for the EX1. Its not schedule for international release till the fall but its out in Japan now. Ill be going into the shop thursday and will post screen shots hopefully that night. Apparently it has zero distortion and full zoom through but lets wait and see.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2008, 08:53 AM   #111
Inner Circle

OK, I'm waiting to see. The Zunow produced for the Z1 was shown at the Video Forum in London last year but when fitted to my Z1 had oodles of barrel distortion. I didn't need to zoom to full tele to check it out further, I didn't want my brides barrelling in the middle.

Let's hope their latest design is better.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #112
New Boot

Quote:

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Well I guess I am part of the one percent also. I have vignetting from full wide, all the way through to above 10mm. The bulk of my shoots involve the need for a wide angle lens, so this is a problem. Is there a fix from those of us suffering from this issue? I know at one point you stated that you were "formulate a solution"....what are the options available for those of us with this issue? Is it something you are able to address or does the camera have to go back to Sony?
Doug Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #113
Regular Crew

Zunow WEX-075a WIDE ANGLE LENS....

I got a chance to try out the new Zunow Wide Angle Lens here in Tokyo today. Who on earth are Zunow? Good question. They are a small Japanese Lens Maker who stiil hand make their lenses in Akita, Northern Japan. Its hard to get much information on them. They had a wide Angle for the Z1 that, although popular in Japan, seemed to get average reviews overseas.

I'm posting comparison shots with the Sony Wide Angle Adapter. I'm no pro user but here are my comments. Let me know if I left anything out. This Lens is nice piece.

My comments...
Noticeably less barrelling than the sony WA .
Its wider than the sony WA. Its 0.75. Sony's is 0.8.
It IS full zoom through just like the sony WA.
A removable hood unlike the sony WA permanently attached hood.
Heavier than the sony WA, around 830grams compared to the sony's 630grams.
It locks onto the front lens by putting it in position and turning a metal ring to lock position.
Very solid build. The hood is a hard rubber material.
It wont be available in the US until October.
It retails at 98,000 Yen here. That's about $900 US I think. I'm told it will be about 20% more when it hits the US market.
Seems like a better lens than the Sony WA but maybe hard to justify double the price for some people.

My local shop is trying to work something out for anyone wanting to buy one from outside Japan. If you are interested let me know. Otherwise you might try through your local dealer.

Cheers, Alex
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens-sony1.jpg   EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens-zunow1.jpg  

EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens-sony2.jpg   EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens-zunow2.jpg  

EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens-sony3.jpg   EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens-zuno3.jpg  

Old May 27th, 2008, 05:52 AM   #114
Inner Circle

Yes, the Zunow does barrel distort a lot less than the Sony, but to say it sees wider than the Sony is pushing at microns. Still, I find Sony's barrel distortion quite unacceptable, so even theough the Zunow is a huge amount of money, it's the one I'd choose from this comarison.

Shooting into the light would test out the flare, though as both lenses are hooded and multi-coated I'd not expect to see much difference between them.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:26 AM   #115
Regular Crew

yeah, I agree, fractionally wider but the less barrelling is really its strong point. That and the fact you can add a matt box. I panned around and did shoot some shots directly towards the sun actually. Maybe I'll post some stills if any one is interested.
I don't mind the barrelling on the sony. I don't film brides and the Japanese are all so skinny anyway.
Old May 27th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #116
Sponsor: Schneider Optics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
Ryan,

I and a couple of others here are part of the 1%. Is there any way to fix my 0.6X lens - it vignettes very badly from about 6.5 - 12mm.

Is the only solution a return - and if I do will the new one also vignette?

Look forward to your reply.
Anyone experiencing issues with their lens can, as always, send thier lens in for inspection. However, we can only bring the lens to the specification we manufacture the lens to meet which is based on our testing of numerous Sony cameras. If the lens is found to be within our specifications and doesn't vignette on any of our samples of the EX1, then you may consider other avenues of inspection for your camera.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan Avery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 10:26 AM   #117
Major Player

Quote:
Anyone experiencing issues with their lens can, as always, send thier lens in for inspection. However, we can only bring the lens to the specification we manufacture the lens to meet which is based on our testing of numerous Sony cameras. If the lens is found to be within our specifications and doesn't vignette on any of our samples of the EX1, then you may consider other avenues of inspection for your camera.

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Hi Ryan,

Thanks again for your responses here. I would respectfully ask again that you post some samples of these lenses working correctly. That will be a much more convenient manner for your customers to guage how their lens/camera combo is functioning, as opposed to a costly and time intensive send-back/inspection period. As you mentioned, these have been thoroughly tested, so it should be a fairly simple matter of posting already existing samples.

Is that not possible?

Randy
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #118
New Boot

Quote:

Ryan Avery
Schneider Optics
Ryan,
I have tried two .6x lens now and experienced similar vignetting on both. I am assuming then it is a camera issue. Can you please provide the information we should pass on to Sony to ensure they inspect and service the correct thing, since I only want to send it in once (if that!).

Thanks
Doug Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2008, 06:32 PM   #119
Inner Circle

From the samples posted the Sony is a lot sharper than the Zunow, both at full wide and zoomed-in.

FYI, barrel distortion is hard to avoid at this price point. It's something I can live with for the shooting I'm doing.

If I really need to reduce or remove it, that can be done with the help of a filter in After Effects. You do lose parts of the image, however.
Old May 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Sensui View Post
From the samples posted the Sony is a lot sharper than the Zunow, both at full wide and zoomed-in.

FYI, barrel distortion is hard to avoid at this price point. It's something I can live with for the shooting I'm doing.

If I really need to reduce or remove it, that can be done with the help of a filter in After Effects. You do lose parts of the image, however.
Dean, Im not sure if I moved the focus ring when changing adapters. The Zunow was the second one. Although I had peaking on all shots, Im not sure if I had it at max on the zunow. Having said that though, while moving the zunow around and focusing I did find it hard to see any peaking fully zoomed in o another shot aimed more toward the sun. I thought that might have been because I had to close the aperture a little. I wish I'd had more time with it to confirm.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds