EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 15th, 2008, 08:19 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EX1 wide angle and Telephoto lens

I just received a shipping confirmation that my Schneider Optics wide angle and telephoto are shipped.
OHD-75CV-EX1
OHD-16TC-EX1

I will post a few stills and a short clip of each if anyone is interested?
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:21 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Please do Paul. A simple perpendicular shot of your TV screen's surround at full wide is a great way to show if barrel distortion is a problem.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Will do Tom I will post a few stills when they arrive.
Old April 15th, 2008, 09:09 AM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
I just received a shipping confirmation that my Schneider Optics wide angle and telephoto are shipped.
OHD-75CV-EX1
OHD-16TC-EX1

I will post a few stills and a short clip of each if anyone is interested?
More than interested Paul. Can't wait to hear your impressions.
Randy Strome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 07:39 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Would love to see some stills too Paul. Thanks.
Alexander Kubalsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2008, 10:57 PM   #6
Major Player

I would love to see two identical shots, one with stock lens full wide and one with wide angle adapter at full wide just to see real world difference. I have a Century Optics wide for my SD camera but that really needed it for sure... I think I want one for the EX as well but need to see a sample of the results first.

Thanks!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2008, 07:46 AM   #7
Inner Circle

The wide angle arrived late yesterday and I expect the telephoto today. I will be editing with a client most of the day so it will not be until tomorrow until I can post some stills.

My first impression is nice build quality from Schneider Optics. I would expect a high quality product having owned three lens adapters for my GL2, Z1, and A1’s. The WA came packaged in a box in the leather pouch with caps on both ends. To connect the lens it is the same as their other lens with the yellows dots and it locks in nice and smooth. I am pleased my Century sunshade with 4” x 4” filters fits great. The filter tray is ahead of the microphone so no problem changing filters while the sunshade is attached. Of course you could always set it up to come out from the bottom if a shot gum mic was being used and you needed the clearance.

I will set up both my EX1’s side by side tomorrow and shoot a few different clips so I can post close up and longer distance shots to compare. Sorry for the delay but work first.

More tomorrow Thursday
Old April 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Well I have results but I can not upload files. I am only trying to upload six .tif's that are 5.9mb but it fails if it is one ore 6 pictures at a time. So once they have the server fixed I will post results unless someone can show me how to solve this problem.

Also telephoto has arrived and I will do a few test with that today/tomorrow.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; April 17th, 2008 at 01:37 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:49 PM   #9
Inner Circle

I keep coming back and trying but no luck uploading.

Have I been shut off from uploading for some reason?
Old April 17th, 2008, 02:55 PM   #10
Major Player

Can you post .jpg's instead?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:08 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Don't know what the problem is but i hope its solvable. Cant wait to see some shots.
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:14 PM   #12
Major Player

Yes, I can not wait either... Does the Century Sunshade mount with the WA in place? is there a pic of that has well?
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2008, 05:49 PM   #13
Inner Circle

The sunshade fits fine with the WA. I tried .jpg and still fail to upload. Not sure what is happening to bad since the stills reveal a lot. I am sending my WA back since I can not grab focus on the outer edges. Maybe the guys are to busy at NAB and once they are back we can get this resolved.

I will check in the morning to see if there is input on how to solve this problem. I have been uploading for two years most an most of the time with out problems. All files are within the limits and they view fine on my MBP and PM.

With two quick test the telephoto looks fine.
Old April 17th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Paul, So you are not happy with the Wide Angle Lens? What was the problem, Its blurred on the edges?
Old April 18th, 2008, 05:42 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Here is my test of the Century WA lens for the EX1.

I did a test this morning and thought the results were flawed then I did a second test this afternoon with the same results. The morning test was two cameras side by side with better background so I will post the results of that test. In the next post I will put the pictures from the afternoon test. All pictures are .tif right from FCP 6 to keep as much information as possible.

There are six pictures three with stock lens and three with wide angle from 12 feet, 24 feet, and 48 feet.

Settings:
MF
ND2
1080p 30P
-3db
1/60

I am focused on the left door in the middle of the wood. I did try the WA option in the menu but there was no change in the results.

I am very disappointed with the distortion of the WA. No matter how hard I tried I could not get the outside edges of the frame in focus. And at 12’ the distortion is huge just look at the upper left corner. I don’t know if I have a flawed unit or not. But why have a WA if you can’t use the whole frame. My lens is going back to the dealer.

This surprised me since my last three WA lens from Century were excellent

I have a email into Chris to try and solve the upload problem. Once that is solved I will post the 12 pictures from the two test.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds