Loosing the ability to focus with Sony EX-3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 9th, 2008, 10:29 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Yes, just seen these revised figures in the UK on-line press. Bleak indeed. Amongst some of the detail on one website was news that "It will end production at the Dax Technology Centre in France, where it makes tape and other recording equipment" (from The Telegraph).

Anyway, this thread is about loss of focus on EX3s, not the loss of focus on the world economy.... so I guess we should get back to that!
Old December 11th, 2008, 10:06 AM   #32
Major Player

Please no!

I want to believe that this didn't happen to me this afternoon. But I'm not kidding myself. I'm using a Summer model, with firmware 1.02_0078 IIRC. Is that the lastest?

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #33
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
I want to believe that this didn't happen to me this afternoon. But I'm not kidding myself. I'm using a Summer model, with firmware 1.02_0078 IIRC. Is that the lastest?

Jus.
So far there is no announced firmware update for the EX3. So what we all have is current.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 11:01 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:

Jus.
you should try what I mention on page two: turn off manual focus assist in the menu. it seems to have fixed it for me....
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:

Jus.
Where does one find the firmware version in the EX3? Is it in a plain menu screen or do you have to know an undocumented sequenece of button presses to see the version number?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:32 PM   #36
Major Player

Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
you should try what I mention on page two: turn off manual focus assist in the menu. it seems to have fixed it for me....
I would... but mine was already off. My EX3's 'senior moment' occurred after changing between manual and auto focus on the ring. Rebooting restored the function but sheesh... suppose I was in the middle of a shot!

That said, still loving this thing. Haven't quite got around to having an EX3 tattoo on my shoulder but I'm not far off...

Jus.

Last edited by Justin Benn; December 11th, 2008 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Good attitude, bad English. Accusative for possesive pronoun surgery.
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #37
Major Player

Top Secret.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stone View Post
Where does one find the firmware version in the EX3? Is it in a plain menu screen or do you have to know an undocumented sequenece of button presses to see the version number?
Hold down the 'Select' and 'Cancel' buttons and while holding them down, click the menu button. A few extra menus appear on the list, the last of which (again IIRC) will list the 'version number' of the firmware. This functionality lasts until the camera is rebooted.

Jus.
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:13 PM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
I thought I've read somewhere here that there's only ONE version of firmware so far?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 06:28 PM   #39
Major Player

Quote:
I would... but mine was already off. My EX3's 'senior moment' occurred after changing between manual and auto focus on the ring. Rebooting restored the function but sheesh... suppose I was in the middle of a shot!
my camera was doing exactly what your camera was doing, when you slide the focus ring forward, then everynow and then, when sliding it back, focus would quit.

if you turn off the manual focus assist now, SUPPOSEDLY you wont ever have the problem again. rebooting only fixes it when its happening. this is what I am told at least, and so far, after much testing, I cant get the focus to stop working yet.
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM   #40
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post

if you turn off the manual focus assist now, SUPPOSEDLY you wont ever have the problem again. rebooting only fixes it when its happening. this is what I am told at least, and so far, after much testing, I cant get the focus to stop working yet.
No, we're having that problem even with FA "off".
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Hold down the 'Select' and 'Cancel' buttons and while holding them down, click the menu button. A few extra menus appear on the list, the last of which (again IIRC) will list the 'version number' of the firmware. This functionality lasts until the camera is rebooted.
Thanks Justin. Works as advertised.

Another question. Assuming the new to be released firmware is sent out into the realm of the unwashed masses (that being us), does anyone know if we would use the existing USB port or is there a mysterious hidden port that only a few anointed ones know about?
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 08:19 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Quote:

Another question. Assuming the new to be released firmware is sent out into the realm of the unwashed masses (that being us), does anyone know if we would use the existing USB port or is there a mysterious hidden port that only a few anointed ones know about?
Supposedly a small mini usb port with a plastic cover that you have to unscrew.
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:29 AM   #43
Inner Circle

I may be wrong but I think somewhere on here someone said they had seen this hidden USB port when taking off the shoulder support. I stress this may not be accurate info but I'm sure someone who knows for sure will tells us soon enough!
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #44
Major Player

Well.

Quote:
Thanks Justin. Works as advertised.

I imagine that one would use an SxS card, as is the norm for a device using solid state removable media but I may be wrong. I hope we see more information regarding the ability for the end-user to flash their own camera. I have no problem following (correct) instructions and have no problem flashing other high quality digital products such as my Nikon SLR cameras, which are not cheap either.

Jus.
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:27 AM   #45
Major Player

That makes complete sense Justin and one could hope. The EX1 though has a specific maintenance USB port right beside the user's USB port. One would think the architecture of the EX3 is similar enough that they would have a similar port on the EX3.

I am surprised that no one so far here actually knows the physical process of flashing the EX3. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds