Loosing the ability to focus with Sony EX-3 - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 21st, 2008, 05:40 AM   #76
Trustee

Quote:
Simon, any sign of this focus glitch with your new (replacement) EX3?
In fact yes. It happened to me once the other day. I was trying to get a close up of something and it just stopped me being able to focus so I had to turn it off then on again.

I suppose that is the drawback of having a choice between manual and infinite servo style focussing. There can never be a true mechanical connection. The only failsafe solution is to use additional Fuji and Canon 1/2" lenses.

Hopefully the new firmware will be available to all.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 07:59 AM   #77
Regular Crew

Any sign of the alleged firmware update yet?
Dave Tyrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM   #78
Regular Crew

Donīt think we should hold our breath untill after new years to be honest.....
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:08 PM   #79
New Boot

Hmm... not convinced.

This camera does a lot of fantastic things. I've got one on loan from Sony right now as an evaluation product... but this problem has been enough of a pain in my rump to make me very wary of purchasing them. The whole way the focus thing is set up on this unit is a bit dodgy, but I can't even get used to using it when it just stops working entirely all the time.

Hopefully this will get resolved. Soon.
Justin Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2008, 04:18 PM   #80
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Benn View Post
I would... but mine was already off. My EX3's 'senior moment' occurred after changing between manual and auto focus on the ring. Rebooting restored the function but sheesh... suppose I was in the middle of a shot!

That said, still loving this thing. Haven't quite got around to having an EX3 tattoo on my shoulder but I'm not far off...

Jus.
I agree! I love what I've seen of this thing, but this is too major of a problem to ignore. I've noticed that sometimes when you reboot it, the white balance goes completely wonky. Had to white balance three times in the middle of the shoot because of it, so it's not JUST the inconvenience of the reboot, unfortunately.

I do, however, think I'm going to take this LCD/viewfinder combo out on a date. Maybe propose. Have kids and the whole works.
Justin Isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2009, 10:47 AM   #81
Regular Crew

OK, Mine is going in
I got a call from the Prime support people today,
the new firmware is out, but the camera needs to be sent in to have it uploaded.
Public holiday tomorrow, so packaging gets dropped off on wednesday, if Iīm lucky, heīll take the cam with straight away and Iīll beat the crowds.....

Iīll keep you all updated as I can
Old January 5th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #82
Major Player

I dug around on sony's pro website, but dont see where the list the firmware updates. is there a place I can look at what the new firmware is going to address (aside from the focus issue)?
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #83
Regular Crew

So far so good.

As promised my cam was picked up by UPS yesterday (wed 07.01.09) at 14:30.

The provided packaging was not exactly what I thought itīd be, but did the job.....
The driver was kind enought to wait the few minutes it took me to package the unit, even lending a hand to seal it up with tape.........

not a nice feeling watching my 8,5 grand €īs boxed up and leaving, but I suppose that is the way SONY wants it.......

it is supposed to take about a week, so I expect it will be returned with the sparkly new firmware update installed in the middle of next week.

one thing I donīt like about the whole issue, is that the girl from Prime Support said that she doesnīt think that SONY gives loaners for firmware upgrades.(normal policy is that one can get a loaner if `repairsīwill take more than a week)
as far as Iīm concerned, this is a repair

I have timed it so I can do without the cam for a week and a few days, but have set a deadline, as I have a shoot coming up and donīt wanna have to rent...
Old January 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #84
Major Player

Sony US is saying that there is no official release yet, only an internal version.

But once again, it will require depot service, unless of course someone accidentally reveals the URL.
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:47 AM   #85
Regular Crew

I am impressed

I got my cam back at 12:30 today monday 12 Jan
That went really fast...
considering, it had to go from here in Germany to Paris and that there was a weekend in between
the initial testing I have done has been fine and the cam is behaving very well.

If any of you are considering sending your cams in, make sure to do a camera data backup before doing so, mine came back without any of my original settings stored, fortunately I did think this would be the case in advance.

looks like I beat the crowds (o;
Old January 12th, 2009, 11:51 AM   #86
Major Player

Kenny can you please tell us what is your new firmware version number?

Did they tell you what other things if any has been affected with this upgrade (apart from the focus issue)? Thanks
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #87
Inner Circle

Great news Kenny! Look forward to hearing more details soon.

I was on a big corporate shoot today in Cambridge and had some macro work to do in a rush....and was hesitant to go there but did it anyway - and the camera behaved perfectly then and afterwards.

I've only ever seen this loss of focus issue twice on mine - still can't work out why some seem to get it frequently and others like me only rarely. BTW, this was after 4 hrs shooting so the EX3 was definitely warmed up.
Old January 12th, 2009, 06:56 PM   #88
Major Player

Those of you who have the firmware upgrade....

Can you still shoot on SDHC (MxR) fine? I suspect so, as I don't know how they could prevent that while retaining the hard drive capability, but just thought I'd ask as I'm a little nervous about it.
Old January 13th, 2009, 12:06 AM   #89
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cowburn View Post
I got my cam back at 12:30 today monday 12 Jan
That went really fast...
considering, it had to go from here in Germany to Paris and that there was a weekend in between
the initial testing I have done has been fine and the cam is behaving very well.
e.

looks like I beat the crowds (o;
Have you tested it with any 3rd party media cards since the update? I wonder if Sony wants to end the use of 3rd party media cards with the EX series.
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM   #90
Regular Crew

Sorry guys, my testing has only been done with the SONY SxS cards, as I donīt have any others.....

Also not sure how to check which firmware version I have, if someone could enlighten me, Iīll check it out.....

As I didnīt get any written info with the return of the cam, I am not sure what other issues the new firmware covers, just happy that the focus issue is sorted.
Kenny Cowburn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds