The magic box for viewing EX footage! - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM   #91
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Shovlar View Post
The specs are at the bottom.

Check it out.
Ahh yes. Thank you Steve. As usual I skimmed over the page instead of actually reading it!
Shaun R Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM   #92
Major Player

I like it

Thanks for the bump I missed it while I was gone:)

I think I may make this a delivery option.
Mike Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:11 AM   #93
Trustee

Quote:
Popcorn Hour A-110 ... has played everything I have thrown at it with no problems whatsoever.
Actually it chocks on some older WMV videos - probably sound codec incompatibility... but yeah, otherwise I absolutely swear by A-110.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:23 PM   #94
Regular Crew

Western Digital has issued severl fixes via firmware for the WD TV....

WD TV Product Update
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #95
Regular Crew

Annoying information between clips ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
This is sooo ugly! I just wrote to WD, complaining about it. I will not buy it until they have fixed it. Will it ever go away?
I got this answer from WD:
Quote:
Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.

I understand you have a question regarding the WD TV. Is it possible to deactivate the information about the next clip to be played?

I have contacted our second level of support in regards to this matter and unfortunately it cannot be changed and will not be changed.
Thank you for your email.

Sincerely,
Danielle H.
090108-003306
Western Digital Service and Support
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #96
Trustee

I stripped the mxf wrapper from the EX1's 35mbps/HQ, muxed in DD 5.1, and it's playing natively at the full bit rate, no re-encoding of the video. Even the PS3 doesn't do this easily. The WD is also playing 24p, and outputting 24p. Fast and lossless. Not bad.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 04:26 AM   #97
Trustee

I got one of these for Xmas and can now view my S270 and Z7 rushes direct to my HD TV via HDMI straight from the compact flash using a $5 CF reader to USB.

I also have all my IPTV and video files at apple TV res on a card for viewing and presentation at superb resolution.

I can also take my CF cards from my nikon D300 and see them straight on the TV.

What a great product!
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:55 PM   #98
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I stripped the mxf wrapper from the EX1's 35mbps/HQ, muxed in DD 5.1, and it's playing natively at the full bit rate, no re-encoding of the video. Even the PS3 doesn't do this easily. The WD is also playing 24p, and outputting 24p. Fast and lossless. Not bad.
How do you mux in DD5.1? I'd be interested to hear that process.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:52 PM   #99
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
How do you mux in DD5.1? I'd be interested to hear that process.
- Edit your MXF with Vegas Pro, export back to same MXF format. Vegas smart renders MXF.
- Separately export a DD5.1 file using the Vegas AC3 Pro encoder.
- Using the Snell and Wilcox MXF Desktop, unwrap the video essence stream from the MXF.
- Use Womble Mpeg Video Wizard DVD to mux the .ac3 file with the unwrapped .m2v file.

Then you just play the muxed file on the WD TV.

There are other tools that can be used I'm sure, but that's how I do it.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM   #100
Regular Crew

WDMP saved the day today.

I've been working on a motion picture project (I can't bring myself to call images from the EXx "video") that is to be the centerpiece of my client's tradeshow booth. The show starts tomorrow. Last week I discussed their playback options and recommended they purchase a WDMP to feed the large plazma. These folks are not techie in the least and assumed a DVD was HD. Once they understood, they opted for file playback from a laptop instead of taking my advice (though I didn't own nor had ever tried the WD).

So, I deliver the windows media file to them this morning, got it transferred to the laptop and.....it chokes. Badly. Not only that, there doesn't appear to be a way to correct the aspect ratio, which makes me crazy (just ask my wife). Looks like total crap and suddenly everyone is looking at me.

That's when I mention that, on a hunch, I purchased the WDMP (it arrived yesterday and by now I know it works a treat), so I offer to let them use it for the weekend. Set it up with a 2GB thumb drive containing the 9000 kbps file and their jaws drop to the floor (it did look sweeeet).

What could have been a disaster turned on a dime. But I do have some issues that the newest firmware apparently hasn't addressed.

The last :10 seconds or so of the .wmv file gets summarily chopped off, even though there's :05 of black at the end. I added another :10 of black at the end in an attempt to outsmart it, so we'll see. Will also try h.264 and see how it behaves in this regard.

48k audio works fine, but the "loop 1" feature is broken. Only works in "loop all" mode. OK, so it needs to be the only file on the drive (or in its own folder, I suppose). Works for me.

Also, still no rewind/ff, at least with .wmv, and that pesky data overlay when the media restarts.

Hoping some of these issues will be addressed in future firmware updates, but overall, very pleased.
Bill Heslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:50 AM   #101
Major Player

I have been using a Popcorn Hour A-110 at a trade show for the last 8 weeks, and it works an absolute treat. Got a 25 mnute clip in HD on a loop. People stand there and stare at the image coming off. Blown away. The A-110 has never got hot, and so far has been faultless. Plus a new firmware came out last week to address a few niggles. Tested it last night and no issues. With a 1Tb hard drive built in, I think its a much better bet than the WD. And it comes with a brilliant, extremely busy forum for instant support.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 07:50 AM   #102
Major Player

Quote:
I have been using a Popcorn Hour A-110 at a trade show for the last 8 weeks, and it works an absolute treat. Got a 25 mnute clip in HD on a loop. People stand there and stare at the image coming off. Blown away. The A-110 has never got hot, and so far has been faultless. Plus a new firmware came out last week to address a few niggles. Tested it last night and no issues. With a 1Tb hard drive built in, I think its a much better bet than the WD. And it comes with a brilliant, extremely busy forum for instant support.
According to the Popcorn Hour website, none of their media players include a hard drive.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2009, 01:59 PM   #103
Trustee

I'm surprised at how many of these boxes are out now: (from Amazon.com)

Western Digital WD TV HD Media Player ($99)
Iomega 3400 USB 2.0/AV 500GB ScreenPlay HD Multimedia Drive ($139)
Iomega 34151 1TB USB 2.0/AV ScreenPlay Pro HD Multimedia Drive ($259)
Mediagate Network Multimedia Center w/Full HD 1080P Wi-Fie and UPNP ($302)
Masscool MP-1368AS 3.5" IDE/SATA Media Player ($89.99)
LaCie LaCinema Premier 301814 500GB USB 2.0 Multimedia Hard Drive ($181)
Popcorn Hour A 110 Networked Media Tank ($249)

The LaCie comes with a 500GB hard drive and a remote. Anyone try it yet?

EDIT: The Western Digital got the highest rating on Amazon
EDIT #2: The LaCie doesn't have HDMI out (only composite and component) Not good.
Old March 6th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #104
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Peterson View Post
According to the Popcorn Hour website, none of their media players include a hard drive.

John
I think his point is you can put a HD inside. With the WD you can't.
Old March 6th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #105
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C. Williams View Post
I think his point is you can put a HD inside. With the WD you can't.
You can buy them in the UK with a 1Tb hard drive already fitted and configured from ripcaster.co.uk

I purchased mine seperately as it worked out a bit cheaper. Compared to the WD it's a better bet. Only one item to carry rather than two, plus better support.
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds