The magic box for viewing EX footage! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:14 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
How loud is this thing?
Not like my PS3 I hope
Dead quiet. Don't think it makes any sound at all. Certainly has no fan.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2008, 05:44 PM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Kanakis View Post
anyone know if you can loop for in-store displays? i have a work around for looping using apple tv, but it's kind of a pain.
Yup! I just checked on this feature. In the "settings" menu, select the TV monitor icon, it then says "Normal", "Repeat One", "Repeat All". Select one of the repeats and then exit the set up menu. Go to a clip and hit play! If you said "Repeat One" it'll play that clip over and over, repeat all plays all the clips in that folder over and over! Very simple, and this has a bunch of uses for use content producers.
Old December 4th, 2008, 10:34 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Thanks again Paul ordered yesterday from Amazon and it arrives today. A local store where I plan to buy my HDTV has said bring it in and lets hook it up to all the HDTV's.
Old December 4th, 2008, 11:15 AM   #19
Major Player

It needs an SD card slot! Then you can forego the hard drive altogether!
Old December 4th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #20
Major Player

I'm thinking a USB 2.0 card reader that reads SDHC cards at full USB 2.0 speeds would do it.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 01:38 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim Hoge View Post
How loud is this thing?
Not like my PS3 I hope
There are no moving parts...

the only noise would have to come from the hard drive you plug into the player....

I'm using it with a projector, so the fan in the projector is the noise generator
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stone View Post
I'm thinking a USB 2.0 card reader that reads SDHC cards at full USB 2.0 speeds would do it.
I've got a dumb question, please be patient cuz I'm new to this format. How can a card that is rated at 15mb/sec capture a 35mb/sec data stream? Are my numbers goofed up?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Dead quiet. Don't think it makes any sound at all. Certainly has no fan.
Are you talking about the Western Digital HD media player? It gets very hot. I picked it up once and thought I heard a fan going in there. Still, it's very quiet. I'll recheck when I get home.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 06:43 PM   #24
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Luce View Post
I've got a dumb question, please be patient cuz I'm new to this format. How can a card that is rated at 15mb/sec capture a 35mb/sec data stream? Are my numbers goofed up?
It's because it's 15MB/s which means 15 megabytes per second verses 35mbps (which is 35 megabits per second. 8 bits = 1 byte, so 15MB/s = 15x8= 120mbps.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2008, 07:53 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
It's because it's 15MB/s which means 15 megabytes per second verses 35mbps (which is 35 megabits per second. 8 bits = 1 byte, so 15MB/s = 15x8= 120mbps.
ah of course, thanks, always get those things mixed up. mb, MB, MBA, MD...
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 02:15 AM   #26
Trustee

I purchased one to replace an AppleTV to review dailies. After encoding H264 it played great but could FF or Rev which is a bug that is discussed on other threads.

I have not had a chance to test this much, but it would be great if it played back ProRes clips.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
That would be cool, but would probably drive costs up. You CAN use a thumbdrive though!
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
I purchased one to replace an AppleTV to review dailies. After encoding H264 it played great but could FF or Rev which is a bug that is discussed on other threads.

I have not had a chance to test this much, but it would be great if it played back ProRes clips.
I tried a ProRes clip and it wouldn't play. There are some file formats that won't allow fast forward or rewinding. I forget now but one of these will and one won't: MP4 and M4V, but I forgot which!

So far I'm finding if I output my MASTER to MPG2 at 25mb CBR Program Stream the files encode faster than H264, allow Fast Forward and Rewind and look identical to the MASTER. I need to try some different encodes though because it still is taking me about 4-5 times run time of the clip to encode this way.
Old December 5th, 2008, 09:59 AM   #29
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
You can use an sd card, just get a sd>usb reader. Or an SDHC>USB reader, same as were using for the EX1 SDHC cards.

Paul.
Old December 7th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #30
Inner Circle

Took the WD TV to a local HDTV store yesterday and played off a 2GB thumb drive. It would only play the Apple TV encoded footage which looked great since the footage is 720P. It would not play the .mov, H264, and MPEG4. Need to re-render and see what the problem is since the store would like to run my footage as part of their daily HDTV demo's and I want to give them 1080p.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds