DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Firmware upgrade info? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/141379-firmware-upgrade-info.html)

Warren Shultz January 11th, 2009 01:45 PM

Firmware upgrade info?

I'm close to buying a used EX1. I'm wondering what the turnaround time is to get the 1.11 upgrade. I'm in Southern Oregon. Do the cameras all ship to one facility? And finally, does the upgrade cost $100 whether or not you're in warranty?

Thanks for the info.

W

Paul Kellett January 11th, 2009 03:12 PM

If you're buying a new EX1, not 2nd hand, then it should come with the latest firmware.

If not then it's very easy to get the firmware yourself and upgrade yourself.

Paul.

Craig Seeman January 12th, 2009 05:19 PM

If you go the official Sony route it seems to be between 3 and 4 weeks. Of course have the battery drain issue checked and addressed as well as the fading letters. It was actually the battery drain issue that slowed mine down . . . and then Sony ucked fup on the firmware upgrade so we had to drive it back and they checked and redid it while we waited. The tech was very apologetic though. I was happy that I didn't have to wait another 3 weeks.

Warren Shultz January 13th, 2009 09:13 PM

Thanks guys. So if I do the upgrade myself, that doesn't fix the battery drain issue I take it.

Perrone Ford January 13th, 2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren Shultz (Post 994570)
Thanks guys. So if I do the upgrade myself, that doesn't fix the battery drain issue I take it.

Fixed mine, but everyone swears it can't be. My battery would die in 2-3 days. Now it takes 2-3 weeks. All I did was install the software.

Brian Luce January 13th, 2009 11:55 PM

Anyone know where they upgrade the cameras on the West Coast?

Brooks Graham January 13th, 2009 11:59 PM

San Jose, CA if I remember correctly.

Brent Ethington January 14th, 2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooks Graham (Post 994639)
San Jose, CA if I remember correctly.

Correct.

If you send your camera into them, be prepared for about a 3 week turnaround...

Kevin Cates January 14th, 2009 03:40 AM

I hand delivered my camera to San Jose in Dec for upgrade, rubbed off letters and back focus issue. They called me a day and half later to pick it up. I think it is a matter of how many cameras they have lined up for repair.

Craig Seeman January 14th, 2009 11:01 PM

I hand delivered my camera to Teaneck NJ and it took just over 3 weeks and then I had to go back there again so they could reinstall the firmware. They did it while I waited the second time and this time the firmware upgrade seems OK.

So we users or even local dealers should not be trusted with firmware upgrades because...?

It seems Sony can do a "wonky" upgrade too only it takes them longer and you have to travel further to do it the second time if the first one is mucked up.