Firmware upgrade info? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 11th, 2009, 01:45 PM   #1
Major Player

Firmware upgrade info?

I'm close to buying a used EX1. I'm wondering what the turnaround time is to get the 1.11 upgrade. I'm in Southern Oregon. Do the cameras all ship to one facility? And finally, does the upgrade cost $100 whether or not you're in warranty?

Thanks for the info.

W
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Trustee

If you're buying a new EX1, not 2nd hand, then it should come with the latest firmware.

If not then it's very easy to get the firmware yourself and upgrade yourself.

Paul.
Old January 12th, 2009, 05:19 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If you go the official Sony route it seems to be between 3 and 4 weeks. Of course have the battery drain issue checked and addressed as well as the fading letters. It was actually the battery drain issue that slowed mine down . . . and then Sony ucked fup on the firmware upgrade so we had to drive it back and they checked and redid it while we waited. The tech was very apologetic though. I was happy that I didn't have to wait another 3 weeks.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Major Player

Thanks guys. So if I do the upgrade myself, that doesn't fix the battery drain issue I take it.
Warren Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:19 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Shultz View Post
Thanks guys. So if I do the upgrade myself, that doesn't fix the battery drain issue I take it.
Fixed mine, but everyone swears it can't be. My battery would die in 2-3 days. Now it takes 2-3 weeks. All I did was install the software.
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Anyone know where they upgrade the cameras on the West Coast?
Brian Luce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

San Jose, CA if I remember correctly.
Brooks Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:08 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooks Graham View Post
San Jose, CA if I remember correctly.
Correct.

If you send your camera into them, be prepared for about a 3 week turnaround...
Brent Ethington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I hand delivered my camera to San Jose in Dec for upgrade, rubbed off letters and back focus issue. They called me a day and half later to pick it up. I think it is a matter of how many cameras they have lined up for repair.
Kevin Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 11:01 PM   #10
Inner Circle

I hand delivered my camera to Teaneck NJ and it took just over 3 weeks and then I had to go back there again so they could reinstall the firmware. They did it while I waited the second time and this time the firmware upgrade seems OK.

So we users or even local dealers should not be trusted with firmware upgrades because...?

It seems Sony can do a "wonky" upgrade too only it takes them longer and you have to travel further to do it the second time if the first one is mucked up.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds