Shotgun mic choices for EX-1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 24th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #1
Major Player

Shotgun mic choices for EX-1

After months of investigating and a rental test-drive, I ordered an EX-1 recently. The only matter to attend to is audio. I'm all set with wireless lavs and such but need to select an on-camera shotgun. Nothing extravagant, under a kilo buck including any shock mount and wind protection. I'm looking for good quality sound, not top-of the line gear that a pro audio engineer would buy.

My dealer suggeseted the Senn ME 66 but a search of threads didn't turn up much about this particular combination. I did find, in 2007, some were having issues with certain mics and the EX-1.

What are you using/what can you reccomend? Please also discuss shock mount and wind protection.

Thank you
Bob
Bob Kerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:28 PM   #2
Trustee

The ME66 is a popular choice. Not to expensive, not cheap. It's a good all around shotgun that you'll be happy with for many years. The only reason to go with a more expensive one would be if you were shooting nature sound effects or something.

You could probably by something cheaper (Rode?) if you're on a budget, but the ME66 is a proven choice. Don't forget a wind sock. (fuzzy) You might check out the K-Tek website for solutions.

K-Tek Products
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Major Player

I'm not very experienced in the world of audio (so you may want to double check any info I give) but I think I'll go ahead and throw in a few ideas on this one.

Will you be shooting mainly outdoors or indoors? If you will generally be outdoors, I know that DVeStore.com can get you the Rode NTG-3 for $600 the the dvinfo coupon.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/great-dea...ff-coupon.html

Add wind protection (under $120) and a shockmount ($50) and that will get you everything shipped for close to $800.

If you won't be outdoors as much, my understanding is that the ME66 with the k6 powering module is kinda cool because if you find that later that you need a more directional mic (perhaps for outdoor use), you can get a hold of just the ME 67 for about $300 and attach it to the k6 powering module that you bought with the ME66 and it is a relatively inexpensive solution.
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:03 PM   #4
Major Player

I used a four-step approach for my EX3. If I had it to do over again, this time on an EX1, I'd make the same choices...

1. DM-Accessories - EX1-FLAT - Shoe Mount for Sony EX1 & EX3 Camcorders - this prevents the weak mic mount from snapping off. Just remove it and replace it with this awesome adapter.

2. K-Tek | Camera Shoemounting Shockmount | K-CAM-SSM | B&H Photo - It's a great fit for the camera. A quick twist of the thumb and it slides out for packing in a bag. The rubber doesn't sag and is a great fit for the mic I chose.

3. Rode | NTG-1 Shotgun Microphone | NTG-1 | B&H Photo Video I selected this because of it's performance levels, comparisons with other similarly-priced and more expensive mics, and because it doesn't include phantom power. The EX cams provide it (24V+) so why bother sticking it on the mic as well?

4. Rycote | 14cm Medium Hole, Short Hair Softie | 034342 | B&H I have found this to be a good balance for an on-camera wind screen. Higher wind may require a more aggressive solution - maybe a wind jammer or something.

This comes to $435 plus shipping! (you'll probably want a 90 degree short mic cable as well). Maybe add a boom pole for certain situations?

Don't forget headphones for monitoring - I recommend the Sony MDR-7506 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...Headphone.html

Hope this helps!
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks. I like that add for the replacement shoe mount "A #1 Philips screwdriver in good condition is needed to remove the original and install the replacement." They must have seen my collection of screwdrivers!

Do you prefer having the mic on a shoemount or did you choose that because the Sony mic mount broke?

I noticed that the mic mount was missing from 2 models on display at my dealer. I wasn't sure if they broke off or were removed for some other purpose.

Bob
Old January 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Kraus View Post
I'm not very experienced in the world of audio (so you may want to double check any info I give) but I think I'll go ahead and throw in a few ideas on this one.

Will you be shooting mainly outdoors or indoors? If you will generally be outdoors, I know that DVeStore.com can get you the Rode NTG-3 for $600 the the dvinfo coupon.

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/great-dea...ff-coupon.html

Add wind protection (under $120) and a shockmount ($50) and that will get you everything shipped for close to $800.
That store isn't giving forum members a $100 discount. They jacked up the price $100.

See ZZOUNDS who sells it for $599 with free shipping as opposed to that store that sells it for $699 plus shipping and then gives a fake $100 discount coupon to forum members.

Rode NTG3 Shotgun from zZounds.com!

Put it in the cart and it is $599.95 with free ground shipping.

John
John Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I took a Rode NTG3 and their new very reasonably priced blimp to the Himalayas recently. Both worked flawlessly in very windy and cold conditions, can't recommend them enough. We used the blimp with a 5m cable and due to camera noise when cold avoided on camera use. If using this mic attached to the camera mount it on camera with a spacer suspension mount otherwise the dead cat will intrude into the frame at wide angle.
Peter Donaldson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #8
Major Player

How does the shock mount work with the mount that is already on the camera?
Do I remove the sony mount to add the aftermarked shock mount?

Note: I'm asking about a regular shock mount not the cold-shoe replacement mentioned in the previous post.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:19 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kerner View Post
How does the shock mount work with the mount that is already on the camera?
What shock mount? My camera didn't come with one...
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
What shock mount? My camera didn't come with one...
I'm speaking of the mic mount on the right side of the camera, mounted directly about the XLR inputs. That is a mic mount....right?

My question is how does a shock mount work with that existing mic holder.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:34 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Oh,

That's a mic holder, not a shock mount. You don't use that with a shock mount.
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:45 PM   #12
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Oh,

That's a mic holder, not a shock mount. You don't use that with a shock mount.
Right. That's my question. Do you remove that and attach a shock mount, or just use the original holder and forgo a shockmount?
Old January 24th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #13
Major Player

This DVinfo thread is worth reading. There are also links to other articles & reviews that are extremely valuable if you are in the market for a shotgun or a short-shotgun/hyper-cardioid.

EDIT:

Found something else that I read a while back. It's an in depth comparison of the ME 66 and the Sennheiser MK416 and again it is on DVinfo but it is an article. It has sound clips and some good hands on based analysis. You get to hear the ME 66 against a real solid but more expensive Sennheiser. Worth checking out.

Last edited by Andrew Stone; January 24th, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #14
Regular Crew

For those who are interested, the picture below is what I use for a shock mount and it does use the EX standard microphone mount:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...-wa-lens01.jpg

- Don

Last edited by Don Greening; January 24th, 2009 at 04:15 PM. Reason: attachment jpeg
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:46 PM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Greening View Post
For those who are interested, the picture below is what I use for a shock mount and it does use the EX standard microphone mount:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/attachmen...-wa-lens01.jpg

- Don
I can see that mic dangling by its XLR lead very soon.

Sanken CS-1 here. Mainly because I picked it up unused 2nd hand at a good price. It's a very short mic that needs a special K-Tek mount and Rycote dead cat but I know I'll never get fur in shot. Whole thing mounts onto the EX Flat for easy removal and storage of the camera.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds