DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Are EX3s shipping with tripod mounting fitting? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/234679-ex3s-shipping-tripod-mounting-fitting.html)

Anthony McErlean May 5th, 2009 03:53 AM

Are EX3s shipping with tripod mounting fitting?

A friend told me that he heard that the new EX3s are supposed to be shipped with an attachment to fit under the camera to make it attach to tripods or baseplate adaptors more securely.

I could copy the info I got from the other forum but I don't know if I'm allowed to do so.

I rang Sony UK but they don't know anything about it. They advise my to contact my dealer.

Anyone know if this is correct.

Thanks.

Kellen Dengler May 5th, 2009 12:54 PM

I purchase mine on March 31st to get the free SxS card deal, and it did not come with any additional tripod support.

I'm considering The Claw from Vortex media but need to make sure it is compatible with a Miller DS20...

Anthony McErlean May 5th, 2009 01:43 PM

Kellen, Wonder is it worth telling/asking them about it.

Whats the size of SxS card you get free. Did you get any (free) with your camera to start with.

Thanks

Kellen Dengler May 5th, 2009 02:00 PM

Yeah I wrote their customer service. I'm just awaiting a reply.

My EX3 came with one 8GB SxS and if you bought between Jan1 2009 - March 31 2009 you got another 8GB SxS card via mail in rebate. Haven't received it yet though...

Alister Chapman May 5th, 2009 02:21 PM

I have not heard of any new bracket or device from Sony and I was talking to the product manager just a few days ago.

Anthony McErlean May 5th, 2009 03:57 PM

Am I allowed to past the info from the other forum?

Don Greening May 6th, 2009 12:03 PM

This a direct quote from Juan Martinez, senior manager of Sony Electronics and talking about the EX3 tripod issue. Here is the quote:

"Hello,

I would like to post a clarification regarding a rumor of “replacement part packs for the EX3 tripod plate mount”… The EX3 design team received user feedback requesting the EX3 stability be improved with certain tripod plates and rail systems. To that effect, two changes were implemented:

•The contact surface was elongated by adding a wedge to the front bottom.
•The threaded plate has now two 1/4-20 threaded holes for greater torque stability with tripod plates and rail systems that allow two screws instead of just one.

These optional parts are included in current production EX3 as a user installable kit, and will be available to existing customers through Sony Parts for a small shipping and handling fee. Please check the Ex webpage Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX where an announcement with directions for acquiring the kit will be posted in about two weeks.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager
Sony Electronics Inc."

Unquote.

I can verify that the newest EX3's come with two 1/4" threaded holes instead of just the one threaded hole and one unthreaded (for a tripod positioning pin). Since I don't have a tripod plate that has two threaded screws I can't verify that the new EX3 mount is any better. What I can tell you is that I've ordered an EX3 reinforcement plate from DM Accessories because the EX3 on a lightweight tripod like my Miller Solo is just awful. There's so much flex in the EX3 tripod mounting contact area that I'm afraid something is going to to break off. There doesn't seem to be any difference at all between the tripod plate of my EX3 and my EX1 other than the extra threaded hole where the positioning pin goes.

- Don

Addition: I should have added that Mr. Martinez posted this on March 26th. 2009.

Ed Kukla May 6th, 2009 03:10 PM

I went to the sony site. I found the link to the parts page. I could not find the part anywhere.

Can somebody provide a link to the part ordering page?

Thanks much

Jason Davenport May 6th, 2009 04:22 PM

"Please check the Ex webpage Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX where an announcement with directions for acquiring the kit will be posted in about two weeks."

Anthony McErlean May 6th, 2009 05:33 PM

Thanks all

I've the part numbers:
Bottom plate part# 413723501 , 2 screws , part # 308020351
(order 2 screws as stocked individually)

Daniel Epstein May 6th, 2009 05:59 PM

This is very good to hear. Not sure it will make the camera balance any better on my tripod but it will feel more secure. I will have to inform my rental company about it

Bob Jackson May 6th, 2009 06:43 PM

Does this new fitting mount on the EX-1?
kit# is
Quick Order kit HPMWEX3/1.

Ed Kukla May 7th, 2009 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean (Post 1138873)
Thanks all

I've the part numbers:
Bottom plate part# 413723501 , 2 screws , part # 308020351
(order 2 screws as stocked individually)

Anthony

Thanks for posting this. I could not find the info.

Steve Harryman May 7th, 2009 05:21 AM

I found this link with a headline about the new kit. Once there, click the resources tab and you'll see this headline: PMW-EX3 Improved Tripod Mounting

Sony | Product Catalog - Sub-Category Landing Page

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ed Kukla (Post 1139125)
Anthony

Thanks for posting this. I could not find the info.

Andy Wilkinson May 7th, 2009 05:54 AM

Well, I'm pleased that Sony have listened to customer feedback (from many EX3 owners including myself) over the poor design of the original tripod mount - Good result!!! :-)

As it is, I already have the excellent DM Plate so I'll stick with that/really like it as a solution.

Let's hope the EX5 (if and whenever that will be) gets the tripod mount right straight out of the box.

Jeremy Wilker May 7th, 2009 06:04 AM

Tripod Mount

The part numbers listed above are what I received as well. The cost is about $27, however, and you can call Sony Parts at 800-538-7550. I am skeptical, but would love to hear feedback if anybody gets it!

Anthony McErlean May 7th, 2009 03:29 PM

Thanks all.
I was told you can contact SEME for spare parts in the UK. 0870-850-8501

Update:
Just received the email with Tel number tonight so I cant ring till the morning to see if they know much more.

Mitchell Lewis May 7th, 2009 04:56 PM

Anyone have a picture (from Sony) of what this thing looks like?

Jeremy Wilker May 7th, 2009 09:33 PM

pictures of parts

I did get a fax, but it is of such horrible quality as to be useless to post. I can't make out any details except that it replaces the existing tripod mount plate and then adds a wedge-type plate on the back. Anybody else?

Ned Soltz May 8th, 2009 05:39 AM

Despite owning a DM plate, I just ordered the Sony modification. Will report when I receive it.

Don Greening May 8th, 2009 11:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are a few pics of the EX3 tripod mounting receiver and the plastic piece that goes on the front of the camera base to make it flatter. The little bit of plastic at the top of the picture was included in the package that ships with the most recent EX3's and I'm assuming it's some sort of cable stay. I haven't bothered to figure out where that's supposed to go yet.

- Don

Dave Nystul May 8th, 2009 02:51 PM

Based on this photo, I won't be getting rid of my DM plate any time soon. Is it just me or is it incredible to think that Sony might not have at least one group of design team members with real world experience using cameras and related kit that would find the original base design pathetically under-engineered. The EX-3 has no more inherent strength to its base than my Canon point and shoot. Truly one of those issues that make me realize you can't fix stupid!

Don Greening May 8th, 2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Nystul (Post 1139951)
The EX-3 has no more inherent strength to its base than my Canon point and shoot.

Which is why I also have a DM plate on order. If I may ask, once the DM Accessory plate is attached to the EX3, does a standard tripod plate bolt directly to the DM plate or does it still bolt to the EX3 receiver by going through the DM plate? Hopefully the tripod plate bolts to the DM plate.

- Don

Andy Wilkinson May 8th, 2009 03:23 PM

Yep, Dave, this looks rubbish to me too. Thanks Don for posting the pics. My DM Plate will be staying on my EX3!

Dave Nystul May 8th, 2009 03:41 PM

Don,

In my case I attach the Chrosziel matte box base to the DM plate first, then I attach the wedge plate for my Sachtler DV 8 to base of that. Rock solid.

Best, Dave

Don Greening May 8th, 2009 07:33 PM

Thanks for the reply, Dave.

- Don

Juan Martinez May 8th, 2009 10:02 PM

EX tripod plate kit part number HPMWEX3/1 Parts kit is available from https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx. List price $ 20.24

In order to place an online order, you must first register on the ServicesPlus website. The other option is to call Sony Parts @ 1-800-538-7550.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager
Sony Electronics

Andrew Stone May 8th, 2009 10:22 PM

Am I right to assume we should be contacting our local Sony pro video repair/service outlets or are we all (internationally) ordering the kit from this website?

Ted OMalley May 9th, 2009 08:05 AM

It is quite side that they didn't do anything here to increase the durability of the mount. It seems that the only thing that this part accomplishes is the mitigation of the slope of the base of the camera. This is kinda funny to me, because the day that I received and unpacked my EX3, I stuck a pair of small, self-adhesive rubber feet that were about 1/8" tall on that slope so that it would connect with the tripod plate and provide better friction from side twisting. Now, getting rid of that slope is better than nothing, but the tripod mount 1/4x20 screw held in place by four eyeglass screws is still the only thing keeping your camera in place.

My camera has been on a long jib all last week, hanging three stories high in the air, performing drastic pans, etc. There is NO way I would have been willing to do this with only the original mounting plate or with this adapter from Sony. I'm using the DM plate at well, and had a high level of confidence with it on this job. I am using Jeff's redesigned Sony Wedge plate as well to lock into a VCT plate and it performed flawlessley.

I like what Vortex did with the claw, but it only connects to the 1/4x20 screw as well as most mounts. I believe that once the DM mount is on the camera, the claw will do a nice job connecting it to the tripod. This is a guess - haven't tried it myself.

William Griffin May 10th, 2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juan Martinez (Post 1140139)
EX tripod plate kit part number HPMWEX3/1 Parts kit is available from https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx. List price $ 20.24

In order to place an online order, you must first register on the ServicesPlus website. The other option is to call Sony Parts @ 1-800-538-7550.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager
Sony Electronics

When I go to that site and put in the part number...all is says: "no matches found"..
so what am I doing wrong?

thanks

Don Greening May 10th, 2009 02:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by William Griffin (Post 1140840)
When I go to that site and put in the part number...all is says: "no matches found"..so what am I doing wrong?

It doesn't appear that you're doing anything wrong. I couldn't access the repair kit part number, either. However, if you use the two part numbers posted earlier in this thread, one for the plastic plate and one for the screws, those numbers work if you plug them into the "Quick Parts Search" text field at the Sony Site. For example, if you type in the part number for the little plastic plate you get the following result:

Jon Braeley May 14th, 2009 06:05 AM

I received my tiny 'piece of plastic' from Sony - or the so-called tripod mounting kit.
I could have just as easily stuck a rubber washer on the bottom to do exactly the same. Also they only sent me one screw. Oh well.
But what irks me, is this could have been sent to me in a regular envelope for a 42 cent stamp but instead they charged me $12.50 shipping for a box filled with air.

I would not bother with this fix guys. Waste of time.

Andrew Stone May 14th, 2009 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 1140281)
Now, getting rid of that slope is better than nothing, but the tripod mount 1/4x20 screw held in place by four eyeglass screws is still the only thing keeping your camera in place.

One should keep this in mind whenever you are picking up your camera by the handle especially if you camera is weighted down with a rails system and a bunch of stuff attached to the rails system like, a 35 mm adaptor, a full blown Zacuto shoulder mount setup up with an 11 lb "lunchbox" on the back or a couple of A/B Dionics.

Even with the DM-accessories or VF Gadgets plate, the weak spot of these four eyeglass screws holding the tripod plate to the camera is still there.

Andy Wilkinson May 14th, 2009 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Stone (Post 1142933)
Even with the DM-accessories or VF Gadgets plate, the weak spot of these four eyeglass screws holding the tripod plate to the camera is still there.

Well yes and no. The DM plate has two other screws which fix into the underneath of the sloping (shoulder pad) area. It's all a lot more robust with it on - but true, even with the DM Plate on my EX3, if I have to re-position the tripod position I ALWAYS move my camera with one hand on the handle and the other underneath the tripods apex to ensure no excessive tension is put on all this. More often than not just take the camera off, move the tripod, then put it back on.

I bet the main reason the tripod plate on EX1s and EX3s get ripped out is when people who pick up the whole lot by just the top handle...those 4 tiny screws can't take the weight of a big tripod etc. and, as far as I can see, this Sony Kit does nothing to make that any better! As is now clear, Sony have fudged this/lost an opportunity to get it right. No point wasting money on this kit, put it towards a DM (or VF Gadgets) Plate.

Barry J. Anwender May 14th, 2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Braeley (Post 1142903)
But what irks me, is this could have been sent to me in a regular envelope for a 42 cent stamp but instead they charged me $12.50 shipping for a box filled with air.

I would not bother with this fix guys. Waste of time.

One way or another, Sony is going to make for their posted loss of $1bn. "Eat the young" by laying-off all their innovative talent & "Toss Customer Service overboard" to keep the ship afloat! Tougher times ahead for Sony Broadcast.