Are EX3s shipping with tripod mounting fitting? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 5th, 2009, 03:53 AM   #1
Trustee

Are EX3s shipping with tripod mounting fitting?

A friend told me that he heard that the new EX3s are supposed to be shipped with an attachment to fit under the camera to make it attach to tripods or baseplate adaptors more securely.

I could copy the info I got from the other forum but I don't know if I'm allowed to do so.

I rang Sony UK but they don't know anything about it. They advise my to contact my dealer.

Anyone know if this is correct.

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I purchase mine on March 31st to get the free SxS card deal, and it did not come with any additional tripod support.

I'm considering The Claw from Vortex media but need to make sure it is compatible with a Miller DS20...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Trustee

Kellen, Wonder is it worth telling/asking them about it.

Whats the size of SxS card you get free. Did you get any (free) with your camera to start with.

Thanks
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Yeah I wrote their customer service. I'm just awaiting a reply.

My EX3 came with one 8GB SxS and if you bought between Jan1 2009 - March 31 2009 you got another 8GB SxS card via mail in rebate. Haven't received it yet though...
Kellen Dengler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I have not heard of any new bracket or device from Sony and I was talking to the product manager just a few days ago.
Old May 5th, 2009, 03:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Am I allowed to past the info from the other forum?
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:03 PM   #7
Regular Crew

This a direct quote from Juan Martinez, senior manager of Sony Electronics and talking about the EX3 tripod issue. Here is the quote:

"Hello,

I would like to post a clarification regarding a rumor of “replacement part packs for the EX3 tripod plate mount”… The EX3 design team received user feedback requesting the EX3 stability be improved with certain tripod plates and rail systems. To that effect, two changes were implemented:

•The contact surface was elongated by adding a wedge to the front bottom.
•The threaded plate has now two 1/4-20 threaded holes for greater torque stability with tripod plates and rail systems that allow two screws instead of just one.

These optional parts are included in current production EX3 as a user installable kit, and will be available to existing customers through Sony Parts for a small shipping and handling fee. Please check the Ex webpage Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX where an announcement with directions for acquiring the kit will be posted in about two weeks.

Juan Martinez
Senior Manager
Sony Electronics Inc."

Unquote.

I can verify that the newest EX3's come with two 1/4" threaded holes instead of just the one threaded hole and one unthreaded (for a tripod positioning pin). Since I don't have a tripod plate that has two threaded screws I can't verify that the new EX3 mount is any better. What I can tell you is that I've ordered an EX3 reinforcement plate from DM Accessories because the EX3 on a lightweight tripod like my Miller Solo is just awful. There's so much flex in the EX3 tripod mounting contact area that I'm afraid something is going to to break off. There doesn't seem to be any difference at all between the tripod plate of my EX3 and my EX1 other than the extra threaded hole where the positioning pin goes.

- Don

Addition: I should have added that Mr. Martinez posted this on March 26th. 2009.

Last edited by Don Greening; May 6th, 2009 at 12:10 PM. Reason: addition
Don Greening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 03:10 PM   #8
Major Player

I went to the sony site. I found the link to the parts page. I could not find the part anywhere.

Can somebody provide a link to the part ordering page?

Thanks much
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #9
Regular Crew

"Please check the Ex webpage Sony | Micro Site - XDCAM EX where an announcement with directions for acquiring the kit will be posted in about two weeks."
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:33 PM   #10
Trustee

Thanks all

I've the part numbers:
Bottom plate part# 413723501 , 2 screws , part # 308020351
(order 2 screws as stocked individually)
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:59 PM   #11
Trustee

This is very good to hear. Not sure it will make the camera balance any better on my tripod but it will feel more secure. I will have to inform my rental company about it
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2009, 06:43 PM   #12
Major Player

Does this new fitting mount on the EX-1?
kit# is
Quick Order kit HPMWEX3/1.
Old May 7th, 2009, 04:57 AM   #13
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Thanks all

I've the part numbers:
Bottom plate part# 413723501 , 2 screws , part # 308020351
(order 2 screws as stocked individually)

Anthony

Thanks for posting this. I could not find the info.
Ed Kukla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:21 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I found this link with a headline about the new kit. Once there, click the resources tab and you'll see this headline: PMW-EX3 Improved Tripod Mounting

Sony | Product Catalog - Sub-Category Landing Page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Kukla View Post
Anthony

Thanks for posting this. I could not find the info.
Steve Harryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2009, 05:54 AM   #15
Inner Circle

Well, I'm pleased that Sony have listened to customer feedback (from many EX3 owners including myself) over the poor design of the original tripod mount - Good result!!! :-)

As it is, I already have the excellent DM Plate so I'll stick with that/really like it as a solution.

Let's hope the EX5 (if and whenever that will be) gets the tripod mount right straight out of the box.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds