Recommend a zoom control for EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 23rd, 2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Trustee

Recommend a zoom control for EX3

Hi I have a Manfrotto 524CF but as you know it doesn't fit the EX3.
I think I now need one for the EX3.
Theres two I was thinking of, the Libel ZC-9EX or the manfrotto 521EX

The Libec its compatible with a FUJINON and CANON lens as well.

Which is the better option or perhaps theres another one you would recommend.

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 03:53 PM   #2
Major Player

I purchased a professional zoom controller when I bought my EX-3, but I never use it.

The zoom control built into the camera is MUCH better, and you can vary it to the inth degree.

The external zoom controller WILL NOT have the speed control of the built in zoom control. You will be wasting your money if you buy one.
Brian Barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:07 PM   #3
Major Player

I have the Manfrotto 521ex for my EX1 and I'm fairly happy with it. You can dial the zoom speed up or down and that will affect how the sensitivity of its zoom rocker. The only fault is that at the slowest speed setting the zoom rocker still can still vary the zoom, so if you want the slowest zooms you still have to have some 'touch' with unit's zoom rocker. The other features, such as record on and off and review are nice as well. I also like Bebob controllers, they have one for the EX as well. (and many others.)
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:16 PM   #4
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
Hi I have a Manfrotto 524CF but as you know it doesn't fit the EX3.
I think I now need one for the EX3.
Theres two I was thinking of, the Libel ZC-9EX or the manfrotto 521EX

The Libec its compatible with a FUJINON and CANON lens as well.

Which is the better option or perhaps theres another one you would recommend.

Thanks.
This would suit your you Tony, excellent, smooth control. Libec ZC-9Pro
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:28 PM   #5
Major Player

I've used Varizoom on my cameras for about eight years. In that time I've had two instances where repair was required, and both times Varizoom gave me quick turnaround. I recently bought this one for the EX3 VariZoom Lens Controls, monitors, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits Phone: 512-219-7722

EDIT: The reason I prefer this style is you can take it off the pan handle and still use it, thus eliminating any camera movement from touching the pan handle.

Last edited by Charles Newcomb; May 23rd, 2009 at 05:52 PM.
Charles Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2009, 04:53 PM   #6
Trustee

Thanks all for the tips
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:05 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Zoom Control

Hi Anthony

I to use the Libec mounted on a Multrig Pro, and its a great combination for hand held work. I think it is a great item to have. The only caution I would urge is attach both cables, one to the camera and the other to tripod or rig you have mounted the camera on. The connection between the two cables is designed to pull apart if any force is exerted. This is a good design feature but you could so easily loose one of the cables.
Eric A Robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 06:23 AM   #8
Trustee

Thanks for the advice Eric, whats the model of Libec you have.

Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2009, 10:42 AM   #9
Major Player

A better, cheapter way........

A few months back I was in the same spot after I got a EX3...until one day on ebay.com I came across this:

12 Pin Fujinon Zoom Adapter Cable for Sony EX1 or EX3 - eBay (item 220365265718 end time Jun-19-09 17:39:37 PDT)

I called them and told the owner..John....that I was a old betacam shooter and had a Nikon 15x1 lens that came with a $2000.00 zoom controller( made my Fujinon for Nikon)....so I shipped them the controller and he made me a special cable for my EX3 all for about $130.00. I was going to buy the $400.00 Bebob Zoe for the EX3, but now I have a better way as I get nice slow zooms, and the 3 second replay works just fine
with my EX3 14x1 Fuji Stock lens.

HTH
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:17 AM   #10
Trustee

Thats interesting William, you would think an adaptor is all I would really need.

Thanks.
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:27 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Barkley View Post
I purchased a professional zoom controller when I bought my EX-3, but I never use it.

The zoom control built into the camera is MUCH better, and you can vary it to the inth degree.

The external zoom controller WILL NOT have the speed control of the built in zoom control. You will be wasting your money if you buy one.
Maybe so, but it's in totally the wrong place if you are standing in the usual tripod position. You can indeed use your hand to focus and zoom, but wherever possible, I'll use a remote. The usual ones for Fujinon and Cannon are quite light, but firm. The Manfrotto one isn't quite so smooth - I'm talking about the movement of the rocker, not the electronic end-product. The Manfrotto 524CFI I have also has the maximum speed control on it too, which I do find handy.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul R Johnson View Post
The Manfrotto 524CFI I have also has the maximum speed control on it too, which I do find handy.
Yes Paul I like my Manfrotto 524CF, pity it wont fit my EX3.
Old May 24th, 2009, 01:58 PM   #13
Trustee

William ,
Will that give you smooth and feathered stops and starts like you can get with a professional 2/3" camera and zoom control, or do you still have the same abrupt servo that comes with the EX-1 and are just now able to control it with your old zoom controller?
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
William ,
Will that give you smooth and feathered stops and starts like you can get with a professional 2/3" camera and zoom control, or do you still have the same abrupt servo that comes with the EX-1 and are just now able to control it with your old zoom controller?
It does the job and feels like a true high end zoom controller...as i was a happy camper when I tested it out....
Old May 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #15
Trustee

Sorry to belabor this, but I previously bought a zoom controller based on reports that weren't clear enough - do you mean you can really feather starts and stops just like on a professional 2/3" camera lens"?

It sounds like you're saying yes. If so this is a big breakthrough.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds