Recommend a zoom control for EX3 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:58 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Sorry to belabor this, but I previously bought a zoom controller based on reports that weren't clear enough - do you mean you can really feather starts and stops just like on a professional 2/3" camera lens"?

It sounds like you're saying yes. If so this is a big breakthrough.

yes it works...I was going to buy a bebob...but after I spent 2 grand on the Nikon for my betacam rig .....I was in a pickle....until I saw the ebay ad...

when Johnny returned the controller to me....the first thing I did was to hook it up to make sure it all worked...

And it started, then stopped...then zoomed in and then zoomed out..all very slowly....just like I have done in the past years with my betacam .

BUT remember, my Nikon zoom controller is the top of the line and is not a
low end one, like the bebob or others that are out there.

Then came the 3 second shot replay....and to my suprise...it worked. so if you have a old Canon or Fuji lens controller laying around..I would call John and talk to him. It will save you money.....

HTH
Old June 14th, 2009, 06:09 AM   #17
Trustee

I got myself the ZC-9EX.
When I zoom fully in with the ZC-9EX it starts to zoom out, on its own :)

I've it set for the FUJINON lens.

Whats the matter with it :)

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:56 AM   #18
Sponsor: Westside AV

I use the VZ PG-EX from Varizoom:

VariZoom Lens Controls, monitors, Camera Stabilizers & Supports, Batteries, Monitor Kits Phone:512-219-7722

It works very well, very smooth start stop. As well as 2/3" Canon lens with Canon controller.

It is also very comfortable with easy ergonomic adjustments.

Side Note: I have had my EX3 lens replaced by Sony, original had the fairly common problem with jerky starts and stops. Make sure this is not the problem with your lens, if it is hard to do a smooth slow zoom. Best test is to see it the handle zoom can be set to 1 or 2 and still zoom smoothly, my original was jerky up to 12.
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olof Ekbergh View Post
I have had my EX3 lens replaced by Sony, original had the fairly common problem with jerky starts and stops. Make sure this is not the problem with your lens, if it is hard to do a smooth slow zoom. Best test is to see it the handle zoom can be set to 1 or 2 and still zoom smoothly, my original was jerky up to 12.
I think I did notice jerky starts, like sticking.
Where is that handle zoom setting, is it in the menu.

Thanks.
Old June 15th, 2009, 06:24 AM   #20
Sponsor: Westside AV

Anthony,

In the Camera setup menu for EX3 page 115.
Attached Thumbnails
Recommend a zoom control for EX3-picture-1.png  

Last edited by Olof Ekbergh; June 15th, 2009 at 06:27 AM. Reason: clarification
Olof Ekbergh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #21
Trustee

Thanks Olof.

Tried that, and it still wants to zoom out by itself.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; June 15th, 2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old June 29th, 2009, 09:48 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Zoom Control Question

After researching the issue I still have a question...is the Bebob controller worth the extra $125 over the Manfrotto or Libec?
Lucky Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:45 PM   #23
New Boot

Bebob

Well I have both the bebob and manfrotto
I much prefer the Bebob because the startup is much smoother and there is no delay on pressing the lever - while on the manfrotto you have to press a small distance before the zoom starts and this makes it very difficult for a really slow zoom at the right moment
Steve Browne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2009, 10:54 PM   #24
Major Player

If you have a old Canon or Fuji zoom controller...this might save you some bucks:

12 Pin Fujinon Zoom Adapter Cable for Sony EX1 or EX3 - eBay (item 220365265718 end time Jul-19-09 17:39:37 PDT)

I have this for my Fuji controller as it works and did save me $400.00 in the long run.

HTH
Old June 29th, 2009, 11:05 PM   #25
Major Player

I have the Manfrotto. If I were to purchase again I'd probably try the Bebob. I have one for my lanc cameras and I think it's smooth, and seems consistent with what Steve said about it. I think the Bebob build quality isn't quite as good as the Manfrotto. I did have to send my Bebob in cause the 'speed' dial broke. It was under a 2 year warranty so they fixed it for free, but it that part seems a bit prone to breakage. However the Manfrotto isn't crappy enough for me to sell it and get the Bebob instead. The manfrotto I think has a couple more features but I really only use 'start/stop' and zoom, and the reason to have a zoom controller is to have predictable and fine grained control at slow speeds. Right now I mostly use it so I can keep my left hand free for focusing, and on my DVRig Pro handle. I don't do too many zooms while shooting, just for framing prior to a shot, 'cause unless the zoom is subtle and there's other movement going on, it's a 'video giveaway' kind of effect. For this the Manfrotto is fine.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds