Naming Sub-Clips in XDCAM Transfer (v2.90) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 25th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #1
New Boot

Naming Sub-Clips in XDCAM Transfer (v2.90)

As the internet shows, still no sign of sub-clip naming in XDCam Transfer. I'm running v2.90's on all our studio computers; anyone have an idea of when Sony will finally listen to its users? Or am I missing some obvious solution to a more specified logging system?

I recently transcribed over 15 hours of interview footage. Most takes lasted between 45 and 50 minutes, with the interviews rolling constantly. During logging, I worked between a Pages document and XDCAM Transfer v2.90 to create a correlation between subclips and content. Anyone know a better way to do this?

Allow me to summarize: Long, continuous shots are currently ingested into FCP via XDCAM Transfer as a series of numbered subclips. I.e., INTVW 1_1, INTVW 1_2... (these appear as subclip 1, subclip 2 within XDCT). There needs to be a way to rename the actual subclip files (say, by topic, or by shot description in the event the shooter is roving).

When will we be given a solution? Sigh.
Old May 26th, 2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Major Player

Jon--I've always found that the only way to deal successfully with interview material is to transcribe it. So the procedure for logging follows from that: I mark slx on my transcripts, label them as per the page number, then ingest only those slx clips, e.g. INT. Ryan3, INT.Ryan14, etc. with a key line as the comment: INT. Ryan3, "I was frustrated by the logging system", INT.Ryan14 "Goofed when I bought a P2 system", etc.

I would alter the system for XDCAM, since it's too hard to find particular bites in the XDCAM Transfer window (versus finding material via Log & Capture on a DV tape), and simply ingest the whole clip, then use the Timeline to make subclips as per above.

With strictly visual material, I'd just put the whole clip in the NLE, e.g., VIS. Ryan1 (VIS. Ryan 2, etc) and use markers or subclips to break them down & label.

And you can change the clip name and comment in XDCAM transfer , using the Logging window, but I think you're right, I don't think you can rename the subclips. I haven't used Log & Transfer to see if subclip naming is possible in it, but it's slower than XDCAM transfer.

Last edited by Mike Chandler; May 26th, 2009 at 08:01 AM. Reason: addition
Mike Chandler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds