DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   EX3 - Mic Clamp Replacement? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/466249-ex3-mic-clamp-replacement.html)

Shawn Dooling October 22nd, 2009 05:31 AM

EX3 - Mic Clamp Replacement?

Hello all, can someone please refer me to an online site in North America that has replacement mic clamps for the EX3 Shotgun Position for sale. Mine is cracked and i need a new one.

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thank You

Shawn

Olof Ekbergh October 22nd, 2009 05:39 AM

I had the same thing happen. I epoxied mine back together, it is still OK after 6 months use.

You can also buy this hot-shoe replacement and then get a ho-tshoe mic mount:
DM-Accessories - EX-FLAT - Shoe Mounts for Sony EX1 & EX3 Camcorders

Shawn Dooling October 22nd, 2009 05:55 AM

Thanks that would help actually. But an original Clamp would also be a nice option if possible.

thanks for your help i appreciate it

Craig Seeman October 22nd, 2009 06:33 AM

You can buy the part from Sony. I did for my EX1. In fact when I ordered they asked "how many." Kind of shows you the confidence they have in the part and the frequency of breakage.

Andrew Stone October 22nd, 2009 12:33 PM

I would get both. The Sony one for resale of the camera and the DM one for use.

BHphoto sells a RODE shockmount for under $50 that works well with the DM. You also get to use the DM shoe mount for other things, in the event the situation arises that you don't require an on camera mic.

Markus Bo October 22nd, 2009 12:50 PM

Try to ask Sony for a warranty issue. I did so and the first one they changed without problems. The second one is still pending. But an important notice: Ask for the latest one. I don't remember the order number but my technician found out after a while of research that Sony modified the clamp in some details and it seems to be more solid.

Regards
Markus

Kenny Cowburn October 23rd, 2009 12:37 AM

What I did with mine, was remove it from the cam, and fill the part which attaches to the camera with epoxy resin, leaving holes free for the screws, then drilled 2 small holes into the resin to accomodate the 2 small nipples which are part of the camera itself, fits just fine and is much more sturdy than it was before.

I'm still very carefull with it though.

I did see a post somewhere in this forum where someone did something very similar, but they added a small aluminium plate to the mix.

Anyone know what the replacement clamp costs and if there is a better one out there, what exactly is the difference to the original?

David Chia October 23rd, 2009 05:17 AM

Go for the J-rod ex, it makes more senses as you can place a wireless with the mic together,

Super Strong Twin

Graham King October 23rd, 2009 02:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Just ordered myself. Here's the diagram and part numbers. Use the third column for the part number. It was a f****** mission trying to get this information from Sony.

Arnt Mollan October 24th, 2009 08:23 AM

Or you can do what Sony should have done:
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...ic-holder.html

Paul Inglis October 24th, 2009 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Chia (Post 1436721)
Go for the J-rod ex, it makes more senses as you can place a wireless with the mic together,

Super Strong Twin

I have been using the DM-Accessories version without any problems but I am running out of Cold-Shoes :) That J-rod looks the business! I have ordered one to try!

Dean Sensui October 25th, 2009 06:23 PM

Here's what I did to fix my own mic mount, and reinforce the other camera's mount which hadn't broken yet:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/933958-post2.html

Russ Gutshall October 26th, 2009 12:09 PM

Sony EX3 Mic mount issue

Greetings to All,

In regards to the mic mount on the Sony EX3 - yes - I broke mine too not long after owning the camera. After right at 30 days in the repair shop - and after actually speaking to a tech repair guy in Teaneck, NJ -- he stated that the mic mount was designed and engineered to be a "breakaway" mount due to the anticipated 12-15 inch mics that would undoubtedly be mounted to the camera - swinging in the wind and hanging way out there.

That way - the camera proper - would be less prone to additional breakage should a sturdier mic mount catch on a tree branch, door jam, etc. I for one would not want my vcr/joy stick panel to break, crack, etc., should I catch my 15 inch mic on a tree branch, etc. Repair expense would be much, much higher ! Too bad Sony has not addressed this engineering concept somewhere on this forum, or in an email to all buyers of the EX3, etc. It is an inconvenience - but the 30 day repair time was way, way too long - and a REAL inconvenience !

And yes - I have broken the replacement mic mount already - but electricians tape does the trick and comes in your basic black - just what the doctor ordered ! Maybe Sony should sell them by the gross ! ?

Best to all -- and travel safe !

Bob Grant October 26th, 2009 03:17 PM

It did occur to me that the ease of breakage was by design and for the reasons stated.
However when I came up with the design that is now sold by DM Accessories I realised there's another way to achieve the same outcome that doesn't require anything at all to break. Mounting the mic in a cats craddle shock mount provides excellent protection and reduces mic noise pickup. The unit from Rode is an excellent choice.

This arrangement in my view makes your mic even safer as it's so easy to simply leave the mic in the kit bag when it's not needed. If the mic is on the camera the suspension mounts provide better shock absorbtion in the event of a mishap and can almost certainly be field repaired.

Charles Newcomb November 26th, 2009 12:20 AM

Well, today I joined the elite club of those who've busted the mic mount on their EX3.

I realize Sony designed it that way so it would break before something more expensive broke, but what a PITA.