Problems with 32Gb SD cards - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 27th, 2009, 11:49 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I've been using 32GB Sandisk Ultra 2 Class 2 (Yes, CLASS TWO) since January 2009 and never had a media restore. I shoot many "yakaty yak" events (panel discussions, presentations with dignitary after dignitary going on for hours) so I'm often running 3-4 or more straight.

I've heard the Sandisk Ultra 2 Class 4 have been problematic and Transcend recently became problematic too. If the cards tested reliable on 4 straight hour records and are now stopping at 57 minutes, it's time to test them again. I'd reformat them first before testing though in case you haven't reformatted for a while.

I have the 32GB SanDisk Ultra 2 CLASS 2 also do problems so for, I wish they were still available for purchase. I also have 2 Transcend 32gb cards class 6 one both cards were working good and now one of the cards gets a restore after 20min of recording tested the card with three different adapters. I also had problem with a 16GB ScanDisk Ultra 2 the one with the see through case went to LA for an event put the card in was DOA an I did test the card before my trip, I had 6 cards with me for back up. The lesson here is to preceed with extreme caution on a paying job when using the SDHC cards unless you have more than one camera angle. I usually shoot with two or three cams so it’s no worries for me.
Brian Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
If you are going to use 32gb you might want to buy one of the new lockable MxR cards that have been tested with 32gb cards.
Marcus, The eLCR, which I have as noted above, is a new lockable version of the MxR and is modified to take Sandisk 32Gb Cards. The MxR also has been approved for the Transcend 32Gb cards. So I have done everthing right according to the e-Films website. I did check all this out before I bought the cards and the reader. However, I am using the new Sandisk 32Gb Ultra ( Not the old Ultra II) Class 4. It is a repackaging of the old Ultra II according to Sandisk's website. The model no. is SDSDRH-032G-P36.
Ian
Ian Semmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Semmens View Post
Marcus, The eLCR, which I have as noted above, is a new lockable version of the MxR and is modified to take Sandisk 32Gb Cards. The MxR also has been approved for the Transcend 32Gb cards. So I have done everthing right according to the e-Films website. I did check all this out before I bought the cards and the reader. However, I am using the new Sandisk 32Gb Ultra ( Not the old Ultra II) Class 4. It is a repackaging of the old Ultra II according to Sandisk's website. The model no. is SDSDRH-032G-P36.
Ian
I think you need to speak to e-Films to see if the card is compatible. Just because Sandisk say it is the same, doesn't mean it is. As I seem to have found with the Transcend cards, there can be a subtle change in the cards that others users won't notice but which seems to throw our kit.

Even swapping manufacturing plants could affect the cards, we just don't know.

But the important thing is to test the cards 2 or 3 times before you use them for "real".

Meanwhile I'll stick with 16gb ATP cards until we know what the Sony firmware upgrade will bring. Not to say I won't get a 32gb card in, but I'd need to be pretty confident in it before using it for real.
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:31 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Marcus,
Yes, there can be subtle changes to the cards that make them un-useable or unsuitable for us.
I recall some early 16Gb Sandisk cards class 2 I think, were OK but the later verions were not.
I sent an email to e-films regarding this problem before I posted this message, but I am not hopeful to recieve a reply as my previous email was not answered.
Ian
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:42 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Semmens View Post
Marcus,
Yes, there can be subtle changes to the cards that make them un-useable or unsuitable for us.
I recall some early 16Gb Sandisk cards class 2 I think, were OK but the later verions were not.
I sent an email to e-films regarding this problem before I posted this message, but I am not hopeful to recieve a reply as my previous email was not answered.
Ian
I was on the MxM website earlier today and noticed that they specify the Transcend cards have become unreliable of late and also that only very recommend very specific Sandisk cards as the others have become erratic.

They are also selling their adaptors and the ATP cards as bundles. I believe these are the same adaptor cards as the Hoodmans.

Have ordered a couple of cards up. Will be interesting to get them on the bench and see if there is any real world difference between them and the MxR.
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:32 AM   #21
Regular Crew

A clarification/correction to my original posting. Upon checking I have now found that the 32 Gb cards are stopping recording at ANY time. I first thought that they were failing at about the 55-57 minute point which is the supposed 16 gb layer size change over point. This was because one failed at about this time. I have filmed 4 events this week and have had cards fail at 3 events! One at 14 minutes, another at 75 minutes another at 83 minutes so that clearly disproves the layer-change theory.
I am at a loss to find a solution to this. Surely there must be other who have 32Gb cards and they failing too? Has anyone found a solution yet? Share your experience.
Ian
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:53 AM   #22
Major Player

The 32GB cards/adapters issues I'd read about scared me so I went and bought the 16GB e-lcr adapaters instead. Not sure what SD cards are inside.

Did you check the version of your camera's firmware? as the older one's couldn't handle the 32GB cards.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2009, 06:55 AM   #23
Major Player

I think for those without the 'old' Transcend cards the most reliable answer has to be ATP. If you are relying on 32gb cards for so many jobs perhaps the new 'cheap' Sony SxS cards are what you need for peace of mind.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 01:58 AM   #24
Major Player

Theorectically the new (cheap) 5 year life SxS cards will bring the price of used SxS cards down too? Maybe. I'd certainly buy the 5 year lifespan ones as 5 years of daily use will be plenty.
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2009, 02:05 AM   #25
Major Player

I need to buy a new SD card and am hesitant to go the 32GB route since there seems to be issues around.

But going for a 16GB I found that my e-LCR cards have Sandisk 16GB Ultra II cards in them but looking at the specs the Ultra II are only class 4 - i.e. # SanDisk part number: SDSDRH-016G-P36 High Performance: 15MB/second (100X) read speed, 15MB/second (100X) write speed.

Is this fast enough? I mean my other cards are working fine. Or do I need to go for Class 6 with: Extreme Performance: 30MB/second (200X) read speed, 30MB/second (200X) write speed.

It's triple the cost!
Damian Heffernan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds