Problems with 32Gb SD cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 26th, 2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with 32Gb SD cards

Can anyone please you help me with this problem?
I have 4 x MxR and 6 x eLCR card readers. I also have 4 x Transcend 32Gb SD HC Class 4 Cards and 10 x Sandisk 32Gb SD HC Class 4 Cards. These are
genuine cards bought from a local supplier. They are 32Gb capacity.
What I am finding is at about 50% of the time that I use them while filming a concert or event with a EX1 or a EX3 or a EX30 deck that they stop recording at
the 57 minute (16Gb) point. There is obviously still about 57 minutes of recording left on the card. I do a continuous recording that usually lasts 2
-4 hours so I need the capacity of 32Gb cards.
The recording stops and I get “Media Error, Restore Media” message. I cannot switch slots. I need to first eject the card and then I can continue to
record on the other card. I can do a restore media after the the event is finished (I cannot restore and record at the same time) and continue to use the card. It is happening on both brands and both readers at most of the events I film. This is causing some very major problems as you can imagine.

I have been told that a 32Gb card is just two 16GB cards layered together and maybe, as it changes from one layer to another, there is a delay and the recording stops.
Has anyone heard of this problem?
It looks like I will have to go back to using 16Gb cards and change them while recording. This is difficult as I am operating two cameras, audio mixer and a deck by myself.
Alternatively I could use a HDD recorder.
Many thanks for any help,
Ian
Ian Semmens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:04 PM   #2
Major Player

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...sxs-cards.html
I have always thought that a class 6 or higher was required to use in the EX series of cameras.
The newer class 10 cards record at 30mb/s.
I believe these class 4 cards are only 15mb/s.
Old November 26th, 2009, 09:42 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I should have mentioned that I have Sandisk 16Gb SDHC Class 4 also. The Class 4 16 Gb works fine in the EX1/3/30 for me and many others that I know.
Ian
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Contributor

I thought that Transcend makes class 2 and class 6, but not 4.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2009, 10:29 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Ales, Yes you are right.
The Transcend are Class 6. I had a label over them hidding the class. The point is that both brands sometimes stop recording at around the 16 Gb point.
What have others found?
Old November 27th, 2009, 02:25 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Always test the cards by recording straight through before putting them in service. I put in two 32GB cards and record straight through until both are filled.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 06:48 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Craig, I did test them before using and there were no apparent problems.
I makes it very hard in these circumstances.
Ian
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:04 AM   #8
Major Player

Hi Ian,
Like you I also do long form work and I have found problems with SD cards and the MxR and eLCR card readerscards. My solution by a NonoFlash it uses Compact Flash cards and if you buy the cards which are qualified by the Convergent Designs you not have a problem and they are very stable. The downside you need to send more money. I have just ordered some 64GB Compact Flash cards and they sell for $299 US. the other option is SxS cards and they are very costly.
Good Luck
Lance Librandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:12 AM   #9
Major Player

Firstly I believe some of the older card readers aren't guarenteed to work with 32gb cards. If you are going to use 32gb you might want to buy one of the new lockable MxR cards that have been tested with 32gb cards.

Secondly I wouldn't trust any Transcend card as far as I could throw it. I've had these cards from "reputable" suppliers in the UK and they still turned out as being no good for the EX1.

At sometime in the future I'm intending to buy one of the new lockable MxR's and also get a 32gb ATP Pro card in for testing. If your need is urgent and you have some spare cash I suggest you give that solution a try and let us know.
Old November 27th, 2009, 08:57 AM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
At sometime in the future I'm intending to buy one of the new lockable MxR's and also get a 32gb ATP Pro card in for testing.
I've got the lockable MxM card and the 16gb ATP Pro card. This really looks the part and I think its worth paying that wee bit extra.
I've got a wedding tomorrow and test this combo but I'll use my SxS cards first.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; November 27th, 2009 at 10:24 AM.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Durham View Post
Firstly I believe some of the older card readers aren't guarenteed to work with 32gb cards. If you are going to use 32gb you might want to buy one of the new lockable MxR cards that have been tested with 32gb cards.

Secondly I wouldn't trust any Transcend card as far as I could throw it. I've had these cards from "reputable" suppliers in the UK and they still turned out as being no good for the EX1.

At sometime in the future I'm intending to buy one of the new lockable MxR's and also get a 32gb ATP Pro card in for testing. If your need is urgent and you have some spare cash I suggest you give that solution a try and let us know.
Seems very strange, or unlucky, Marcus. As many, worldwide, have found Transcend class 6 to be very reliable cards. What exactly was the problem with yours ?
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:00 AM   #12
Major Player

If I remember correctly a firmware update was needed to be able to use the 32GB cards. I can't remember which version now. Will have a look and post back here if I find it.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:27 AM   #13
Major Player

Well a quick search and found that the EX-1 needs firmware v1.11 or newer and the EX-3 should be fine.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #14
Inner Circle

I've been using 32GB Sandisk Ultra 2 Class 2 (Yes, CLASS TWO) since January 2009 and never had a media restore. I shoot many "yakaty yak" events (panel discussions, presentations with dignitary after dignitary going on for hours) so I'm often running 3-4 or more straight.

I've heard the Sandisk Ultra 2 Class 4 have been problematic and Transcend recently became problematic too. If the cards tested reliable on 4 straight hour records and are now stopping at 57 minutes, it's time to test them again. I'd reformat them first before testing though in case you haven't reformatted for a while.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2009, 10:56 AM   #15
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Rowe View Post
Seems very strange, or unlucky, Marcus. As many, worldwide, have found Transcend class 6 to be very reliable cards. What exactly was the problem with yours ?
Cards that take up to 10 seconds to clear the red light. Inconsistent write times on other cards.

Then I had the failures. One card always required the second clip on the card to be restored. Another corrupted midway through a presentation with no warning on the camera at all. Lucky I had a Z1 covering from another angle.

I've been into far more detail elsewhere on the forum and all standard protocols have been observed. All the serials check out.

What we have noted on this forum is there appears to have been a certain date where perhaps something changed. Or perhaps there is a batch of cards out there that have different characteristics to what has gone before. All the cards are still Class 6 spec, but for whatever reason not all the cards are quite up to the job for the EX1.

If you have Transcends that originate from before July/August this year then you'll be fine. Countless tales of these cards not missing a beat. But after that date something appears to have happened that meant that you couldn't be guaranteed a good card.

I've now been shooting on the ATP cards exclusively for a few months. More expensive but they seem to work fine.

Of course I still have Transcends that check out OK but I just don't want to use them. But any card that takes more than 5/6 seconds to clear the red light and any card that has inconsistent times across the card to clear the light gets put to one side.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds