DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   clip browser (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/472378-clip-browser.html)

Marius Boruch February 6th, 2010 06:40 PM

clip browser

Is there any way to copy/transfer just video files (not BPAV, CLPR folders) from card to hard drive using clip browser (or other software); I don't want to export it as ie. mxf because of loos of quality. When select and copy the video files, that stupid "clip browser" copies them as they are organized in folders BPAV and CLPR. This is just insane.

David C. Williams February 6th, 2010 08:22 PM

There is no loss of quality transferring MXFs. All it does is re-wrap the MP4 file and add some metadata. It is exactly the same MPEG2 data entirely untouched.

Leonard Levy February 6th, 2010 08:56 PM

you could use XDCam transfer to directly create .MOV files instead of first importing the MFX . However this is generally not recommended because you now are altering the original information and have no resource to the original unaltered MFX files. Also you are locking yourself into quicktime.

Craig Seeman February 6th, 2010 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1482572)
Is there any way to copy/transfer just video files (not BPAV, CLPR folders) from card to hard drive

And destroy your master in the process. Copy and backup the BPAV with Clipbrowser with CRC enabled. If you were to do what you describe I'd never hire you as a camera operator. Why not rip the tape out of a DigiBeta Cassette?

Quote:

using clip browser (or other software); I don't want to export it as ie. mxf because of loos of quality.

Don't make declarative statements when you don't know something. MXF is simply a rewrap so edit systems that don't handle XDCAM EX MP4 do have a file wrapper they can handle.

Quote:

When select and copy the video files, that stupid "clip browser" copies them as they are organized in folders BPAV and CLPR. This is just insane.

S****d camera operator should understand smart clip browser. What's insane is debatable. Certainly I'd consider destroying masters an action that might fall into that category.

Marius Boruch February 6th, 2010 11:16 PM

Easy, easy, easy Craig...were you drinking tonight?

There is one simple reason why I'd like to be able to TRANSFER (not destroy) all of my video files and ONLY video files (mp4's) to my computer hd - I use Vegas 9.0c and original mp4's from the card are working in real time so it is indifferent for me to have them in original mp4's or mxf's.
Are you saying that by transfering them to hd I can destroy them???

Craig Seeman February 6th, 2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marius Boruch (Post 1482661)
Are you saying that by transfering them to hd I can destroy them???

Yes actually. CRC checks to make sure the copy matches the source (oversimplification though).
Cyclic redundancy check - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MP4 is fine for your use but if every need to hand off the masters to someone else who may be on Avid or Final Cut for example, you'd need the entire BPAV. Also if you ever need to give masters to the client down the road you'd need the BPAV. Do anything else and you're going to have difficulties.

I'd remind you that you started with some "strong" language calling professionally secure procedures "stupid" and "insane" and claimed that a rewrap to MXF lost quality. That kind of misinformation can be dangerous to the newbie reading this thread thinking such positions are facts.

If you find a workflow inconvenient or otherwise don't understand the value, you don't have to denigrate them if you don't understand them.

Tom Roper February 6th, 2010 11:51 PM

Well said Craig.