clip browser at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 6th, 2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Major Player

clip browser

Is there any way to copy/transfer just video files (not BPAV, CLPR folders) from card to hard drive using clip browser (or other software); I don't want to export it as ie. mxf because of loos of quality. When select and copy the video files, that stupid "clip browser" copies them as they are organized in folders BPAV and CLPR. This is just insane.
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:22 PM   #2
Major Player

There is no loss of quality transferring MXFs. All it does is re-wrap the MP4 file and add some metadata. It is exactly the same MPEG2 data entirely untouched.
Old February 6th, 2010, 08:56 PM   #3
Trustee

you could use XDCam transfer to directly create .MOV files instead of first importing the MFX . However this is generally not recommended because you now are altering the original information and have no resource to the original unaltered MFX files. Also you are locking yourself into quicktime.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 10:46 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Boruch View Post
Is there any way to copy/transfer just video files (not BPAV, CLPR folders) from card to hard drive
And destroy your master in the process. Copy and backup the BPAV with Clipbrowser with CRC enabled. If you were to do what you describe I'd never hire you as a camera operator. Why not rip the tape out of a DigiBeta Cassette?

Quote:
using clip browser (or other software); I don't want to export it as ie. mxf because of loos of quality.
Don't make declarative statements when you don't know something. MXF is simply a rewrap so edit systems that don't handle XDCAM EX MP4 do have a file wrapper they can handle.

Quote:
When select and copy the video files, that stupid "clip browser" copies them as they are organized in folders BPAV and CLPR. This is just insane.
S****d camera operator should understand smart clip browser. What's insane is debatable. Certainly I'd consider destroying masters an action that might fall into that category.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Major Player

Easy, easy, easy Craig...were you drinking tonight?

There is one simple reason why I'd like to be able to TRANSFER (not destroy) all of my video files and ONLY video files (mp4's) to my computer hd - I use Vegas 9.0c and original mp4's from the card are working in real time so it is indifferent for me to have them in original mp4's or mxf's.
Are you saying that by transfering them to hd I can destroy them???
Marius Boruch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Are you saying that by transfering them to hd I can destroy them???
Yes actually. CRC checks to make sure the copy matches the source (oversimplification though).
Cyclic redundancy check - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

MP4 is fine for your use but if every need to hand off the masters to someone else who may be on Avid or Final Cut for example, you'd need the entire BPAV. Also if you ever need to give masters to the client down the road you'd need the BPAV. Do anything else and you're going to have difficulties.

I'd remind you that you started with some "strong" language calling professionally secure procedures "stupid" and "insane" and claimed that a rewrap to MXF lost quality. That kind of misinformation can be dangerous to the newbie reading this thread thinking such positions are facts.

If you find a workflow inconvenient or otherwise don't understand the value, you don't have to denigrate them if you don't understand them.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2010, 11:51 PM   #7
Trustee

Well said Craig.
Tom Roper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds