EX1 With Original Firmware - Change? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old June 14th, 2010, 03:25 AM   #1
Major Player

EX1 With Original Firmware - Change?

Hello Folks,

I'm back in civilization after a 2 year journey with my EX1.
It still has the original firmware and has never been in for servicing.

Would anyone mind giving me a practical reason why they would have the firmwear updated and camera serviced? I was hearing something about some circuit that could be changed so that the camera didn't drain the battery? Anything else?

I don't really care about the lettering rubbing off the camera's panels... although it could be good help with resale value?

I didn't buy any extended warranty..... would I have to take a hit to have things upgraded?

Big thanks and happy to be with the fresh air and clean water! :)
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:35 AM   #2
Inner Circle

I have been slack and not yet upgraded the firmware. For battery drain, I simply pop the battery to the right and tape it in place so that it is handy to slide back without having to have a big hunt for it.

Tis a pity the video cameras don't have a reversable battery arrangment like the CP16s did where you could stow the battery in its normal fitment but disconnected from the camera because the pins faced away from their sockets.
Bob Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:44 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Ability to use inexpensive SDHC cards is a BIG reason to update firmware. The firmware update is somewhere between $100-$135. Original update was $100 I believe and the 2nd one can be DIY but if you haven't done the first one I'm sure they'll do the whole thing for $135 (USA). Given the price difference between SXS and SDHC, you'll profit on the first SDHC card.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #4
Major Player

Depending on where you are, they may do a firmware upgrade for free as there are some bugs in the early firmware that have been deemed "critical". You are out of warranty so the free firmware updates that some countries have issued may not be free any longer. Phone up your local Sony service center and find out would be my suggestion.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Ability to use inexpensive SDHC cards is a BIG reason to update firmware.
Agreed, but EX1 users were able to do this from Day 1 with a reliable combination of adapter and particular flash memory card.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 05:35 AM   #6
Major Player

Thanks folks,

Anyone else have anything to offer?
Jonathan Bland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds