DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Some nature clips (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/485193-some-nature-clips.html)

Buck Forester September 23rd, 2010 12:46 PM

Some nature clips

I put together a few clips and added some music. I'm very new to FCP so I have no idea what I'm doing, I just dropped in some clips and added tune so it's not a finished product, just practicing as I go. Some same clips were used in both because the music was longer than my time-lapses, ha ha! I don't know anything about upload compressions either so they aren't optimal and in fact look bad full screen. They look okay 720p at standard size viewing. They were shot 1080 30p.

This first one is from some clips I shot last week while on business in the Shasta/Burney/Weed area and spent the mornings/evenings snaggin' some scenes.

YouTube - Shasta and Burney Falls 10.mov

The second one is of time-lapses, mostly from Mono Lake but some of Mt. Shasta too.

YouTube - Mono Lake and Mt. Shasta Time-lapse

This last one is just some clips right out of the camera, no music, that I compiled for a stock agency to show them some stuff.

YouTube - Wilderness Clips

Buck Forester September 23rd, 2010 12:47 PM

Took out the embedded Vimeo video of my boys Jeep ride, didn't mean to have it embedded in the post.

Vincent Oliver September 25th, 2010 03:22 AM

Nice shots Buck, can you give us some technical details, Which Gamma settings did you use etc.

Buck Forester September 25th, 2010 09:55 AM

Thanks, Vincent. I use the profile setting recommended in the Vortex training video. I think that's the Cine Gamma 4 setting. Most of the clips were shot with the Sony .8x wide angle adapter attached. A couple of the clips I used my Microdolly jib, quite a few I used a Glidetrack slider. All were shot at 1080 30p except the slow-mo at 720p and the time-lapses were done in-camera at 1 second intervals.

Fred Davis September 27th, 2010 03:54 AM

Buck

Did you have you aperture on manual or auto?

What about the shutter speed was it off or set at 1/60???

Buck Forester September 27th, 2010 08:26 AM

Fred, I change my settings frequently depending on the shot and look. I will often bracket (to use a still photography term) with various settings pointing at the same scene. 'Most' of this was shot using 1/60 shutter speed, mostly with auto iris. But not always.

Buck Forester October 2nd, 2010 07:14 PM

Here's the Jeep Hurricane 4-wheelin' vid of my boys. They have a blast with that thing!

YouTube - Jeep Hurricane Power Wheels

Piotr Wozniacki October 3rd, 2010 06:26 AM

Buck, all your clips are marvellous - and the California landscape so breath-taking, that I wish I was younger and could just get there one day...

As to your boys 4-wheel ride, also great - but I'd make them wear some seat belts and head protection, if I were you!

Piotr

Buck Forester October 4th, 2010 11:08 AM

Thanks, Piotr! And regarding the Jeep and helmets/seat belts, I hear ya but the jeep is actually quite small and light and the sides are quite high (we chose this model over some other models that didn't have the higher sides). It would take a lot to have them fall out. The last scenes and photos of the Jeep perched on the rock was a video/photo op, it really didn't crawl up that puppy, nor down.