Some nature clips at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Major Player

Some nature clips

I put together a few clips and added some music. I'm very new to FCP so I have no idea what I'm doing, I just dropped in some clips and added tune so it's not a finished product, just practicing as I go. Some same clips were used in both because the music was longer than my time-lapses, ha ha! I don't know anything about upload compressions either so they aren't optimal and in fact look bad full screen. They look okay 720p at standard size viewing. They were shot 1080 30p.

This first one is from some clips I shot last week while on business in the Shasta/Burney/Weed area and spent the mornings/evenings snaggin' some scenes.

YouTube - Shasta and Burney Falls 10.mov

The second one is of time-lapses, mostly from Mono Lake but some of Mt. Shasta too.

YouTube - Mono Lake and Mt. Shasta Time-lapse

This last one is just some clips right out of the camera, no music, that I compiled for a stock agency to show them some stuff.

YouTube - Wilderness Clips

Last edited by Buck Forester; September 23rd, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Major Player

Took out the embedded Vimeo video of my boys Jeep ride, didn't mean to have it embedded in the post.

Last edited by Buck Forester; September 23rd, 2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old September 25th, 2010, 03:22 AM   #3
Trustee

Nice shots Buck, can you give us some technical details, Which Gamma settings did you use etc.
Old September 25th, 2010, 09:55 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks, Vincent. I use the profile setting recommended in the Vortex training video. I think that's the Cine Gamma 4 setting. Most of the clips were shot with the Sony .8x wide angle adapter attached. A couple of the clips I used my Microdolly jib, quite a few I used a Glidetrack slider. All were shot at 1080 30p except the slow-mo at 720p and the time-lapses were done in-camera at 1 second intervals.
Old September 27th, 2010, 03:54 AM   #5
New Boot

Buck

Did you have you aperture on manual or auto?

What about the shutter speed was it off or set at 1/60???
Fred Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Major Player

Fred, I change my settings frequently depending on the shot and look. I will often bracket (to use a still photography term) with various settings pointing at the same scene. 'Most' of this was shot using 1/60 shutter speed, mostly with auto iris. But not always.
Old October 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Major Player

Here's the Jeep Hurricane 4-wheelin' vid of my boys. They have a blast with that thing!

YouTube - Jeep Hurricane Power Wheels
Old October 3rd, 2010, 06:26 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Buck, all your clips are marvellous - and the California landscape so breath-taking, that I wish I was younger and could just get there one day...

As to your boys 4-wheel ride, also great - but I'd make them wear some seat belts and head protection, if I were you!

Piotr
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:08 AM   #9
Major Player

Thanks, Piotr! And regarding the Jeep and helmets/seat belts, I hear ya but the jeep is actually quite small and light and the sides are quite high (we chose this model over some other models that didn't have the higher sides). It would take a lot to have them fall out. The last scenes and photos of the Jeep perched on the rock was a video/photo op, it really didn't crawl up that puppy, nor down.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds