EX1 hard case, HPRC 2700wic review at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old April 10th, 2009, 03:56 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 hard case, HPRC 2700wic review

In 17 years of mostly broadcast and some corporate work I've used cases from Anvil, Pelican, and SKB among others. I thought I'd try the 2700wic from HPRC. The hard case is made by HPRC, the interior rigid/soft bag is made my Portabrace.

The Portabrace interior bag is GREAT! It swallows my EX1, Sachtler FSB6 head, spreader/mini tripod legs (Sachtler SOOM), wide angle adaptor, a can of air, batteries, a few filters, a small slate, lens cleaning kit and a few other small items. Hats off to Portabrace! I love this bag! Plus unlike pick and pluck foam, it has movable divider walls that you can custom cut and fit for you gear, and easily move and repostion if you change your mind.

I wish I could be as enthusiastic about the hard case. HPRC did almost everything right with the 2700 hard case except for one critical flaw, the metal pins that hold together the latches and handles work themselves free in short order. They back out of the holes they are inserted into. Every 2 days of use requires me to tap the pins back into place. The 2700 has only been used lightly (less than six months), but it's already falling apart! It amazes me that they just shoved the pins into the plastic holes without any retention system at all!

Sad thing is I know better than to trust Italian engineering.

I ordered my case early on, maybe they have since rectified the problem. I sent them an email today. I'll be interested to hear their reply since this case has a lifetime warranty.
Juan McFarland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #2
Trustee

Thanks for the heads up.
I was looking to buy one of the smaller HPRC cases but now I think I'll go with a Storm.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2010, 11:40 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Just a follow up.

I wrote to HPRC about the pin falling out problem about a year ago. They didn't write back. Makes it hard to use their "lifetime warranty" if they don't bother to communicate.

The Portabrace bag is holding up great. The HPRC pins continue to slip out of their holes, other than that no other problems. The HPRC is a little lighter than a comparable Pelican, so that's great for air travel when you are trying to get as much stuff in your case as possible and stay under 50 lbs.
Juan McFarland is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds