Back focus, am I soft?? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:01 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote: -
does the auto focus switch have to be set to AUTO?? It isn't mentioned in the above video. Could be a major duh moment on my part!!!!!

It may not be mentioned in the video but it is mentioned on page 33 of the manual (see above). According to the manual it should be on.

What I have not seen mentioned is what aperture one should aim for. I would guess the camera's task would be easier if the adjustment could be undertaken at full aperture and thus minimum depth of field.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 08:58 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Alistair,

Ah, thanks for that conformation. That shall be included in my next attempt this weekend.

I too have wondered about the aperture. If conducting the adjustment outside surely ND filtering is needed so the whole thing isn't blown out and the sweet spot for F stop can be obtained. As far as I know the adjustment should be done with no ND's in.
Darren Ruddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Hi Darren,

Placing a filter behind the lens effectively shortens the light path and changes the focal point. However when neither ND filter is used there is a clear "filter" in place, at least in my EX3. I would assume that this is to ensure the same apparent length of optical pathway whether there is an ND in place or not meaning that filter selection is unimportant.

However I suspect aperture selection could well have an effect. Any comments?
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2010, 03:47 PM   #19
Major Player

Full Auto Focus

Hey Darren,
Please, just be sure that your camera is on full auto focus and let the camera do the job. I said that in my previous post. Full auto focus is the only thing that is required from you, plus light on the card. No ND filter at all. Plane, clean lens with/out clear filter (UV or IR like 486 Digital UV/IR), thats all. Good luck with it. Post how did go please.
Cheers
Luben Izov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2010, 09:45 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Cheers fella's,

All good input. Will be testing again tomorrow hopefully (friends birthday this evening so I may be somewhat delicate tomorrow!)

I will follow all your advice. Something I totally forgot was to remove my T1 filter. Wonder if it makes a difference??

Will try and post results forthwith!
Old October 23rd, 2010, 10:00 AM   #21
Trustee

Keep the aperture as wide as possible to avoid depth of field sharpness.

Not sure why the Andy in the video recommends using 1080 60i, I can't see what difference that will make, especially if you normally shoot 24, 25 or 30p.

Any suggestions?
Old October 26th, 2010, 10:29 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Hi guys,

Attached are the latest stills after back focus adjustment.

This time I removed my T1 filter and had the focus switched to the AUTO position! Also had ah F stop of 4.

I think the shots look a little better but still not sure.

Let me know what you guys think.

Much appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Back focus, am I soft??-zoom-26th-octoberjpg.jpg   Back focus, am I soft??-wide-26-october.jpg  

Old October 26th, 2010, 11:10 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Yep, better lit and sharper. Look OK to me.
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Cheers Andy,

I can definitely see an improvement. I think sometimes you look at something so much you can get lost!

This does seem better though!
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:17 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Hey, stop pixel peeping and spend the time to make some nice films/have fun with your camera!
Old October 26th, 2010, 12:48 PM   #26
Regular Crew

Great advice for us all Andy!!
Old October 26th, 2010, 03:56 PM   #27
Trustee

I sympathize with your problems trusting backfocus for the camera to the cameras electronics.You can still get a chart to see if there are any problems which show up.
I know the procedure I use for lenses with manual backfocus is critical to getting the right result. I use a backfocus chart from Arri, expose the chart with the f Stop wide open (either decrease the amount of light on the chart if it is too bright or use ND if the ND is built in) focus zoomed all the way in and then pull out full wide. Adjust to maximum sharpness. If you use a smaller F Stop then your results will not be correct when the lens is wide open. You have to be close enough to the chart so the pattern on the chart shows up clearly so depending on the size of the chart you may have to move closer to it but on zoom lenses you still should be farther than minimum focus but not necessarily ten feet away.
For Lenses with extenders do the back focus with out the extender. Check the result with the extender in to see if your lenses extender has problems or needs adjustment as the extender can give you a different result if it is not correctly aligned.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 07:54 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Anyone knows where I can download a Siemens Star to print?
The guy who had it last time I checked backfocus lives far from me..
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:13 PM   #29
Regular Crew

Hi Pietro,

I got my charts from here..

Free Charts

I coloured mine in after printing just to give them more contrast
Old October 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM   #30
Regular Crew

Darren

thank you very much.

pietro
Pietro Jona is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds