remote trigger for EX3 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 13th, 2014, 06:49 AM   #31
Major Player

Re: remote trigger for EX3

Thanks Mick for your kind words.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2014, 01:28 PM   #32
Major Player

Re: remote trigger for EX3

I used my modified remote in anger for the first time this morning. It was bitterly cold, and I found that I could not operate the two pairs of buttons wearing gloves, so I am now on Mark IV.

The pan bar is 16 mm diameter, so I have attached the IR remote using a pair of plastic clips intended to fix 16 mm plumbing pipe to the wall. I originally had the remote attached using double sided Pritt pads, but the flexibility made operating the buttons more difficult, so I have now bolted the back panel of the remote to each of the clips using a 4 mm bolt. This makes the assembly much more rigid, and the buttons are easier to press in synchrony. I have improved matters still further by attaching a 10 mm x 5 mm piece of rigid plastic to the centre button using No more Nails double sided tape. I can now start and stop the camera reliably using gloves.

I ended up replacing the figure-of-8 cable with some lightweight coax, and attached an L shaped piece of hard brass wire to that with heat-shrink sleeve at the IR diode end. This is then held under the microphone pod with a pair of miniature self-adhesive cable clips, with the diode just in front of the receiver. A couple more of these clips lead the cable down to the area of the S-video socket. Here the cable terminates in a 2.2 mm jack plug, to mate with the flying socket on the cable from the remote.

This assembly is discrete, and does not have loose cables to snag and cause problems.

It would still be good if Sony would open up the proprietary protocols for the existing remote socket on the camera body, or provide a simple remote at a more realistic price that the paint box they do offer.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds