Looking for a good portable light - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 25th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #46
Major Player

Sounds nice - I'll get back with a report, when I get mine !
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 03:08 PM   #47
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Skelmose View Post
Never heard of the Solar fan problems before - and my new Solar is on its way - argh....
I was tired of using my Zylight Z90 that works great in daylight but when you fade it down, at 3200k, it suddenly turns green at about 50-75% -
I've never experienced the green issue before, probably because I rarely dim my Z-90 that much. I will say however, that the Z90 is a dream to work with in the mixed lighting environment I live with in this school. I often have diffuse daylight and florescent temperatures of 4200 K. I do a white balance on the EX3, read what the EX3 says it sees and then dial in the Z90 to the same temperature. I get beautiful light that illuminates and defines but doesn't "show" and a sparkle in the talent's eyes. I know the Z90 is very expensive when compared to the new crop of LEDs, but it is great as my main camera light.
Old January 25th, 2011, 08:32 PM   #48
Trustee

I checked my 'good' Sola and the fan isn't as loud as I remembered but it just seems silly to put a fan inside an on-camera light as it will certainly go bad eventually.
Steve Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 09:40 PM   #49
Sponsor: Westside AV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kalle View Post
I checked my 'good' Sola and the fan isn't as loud as I remembered but it just seems silly to put a fan inside an on-camera light as it will certainly go bad eventually.
Would you rather cook your circuit board, or have the "auto over temp" cut the light while shooting?

I have lots of electronic equipment with fans, it is extremely rare that the fans fail, if they do have them replaced.
Old January 26th, 2011, 01:58 AM   #50
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan McInnes View Post
I've never experienced the green issue before, probably because I rarely dim my Z-90 that much.
Shoirtly after I got it - it was sent back for a update that should resolve the difference in colour temprature when dimming. As I remember, I was satisfied with it afterwards. But now it is unusable in indoor light unless I make a white balance in the dimmed light.
We have tried the Litepanel LED with variable colourtemp. - It was meant to work as light for sportkommentators in different stadiums with different light temprature. Our conclusion was that the lamp was not following the same mix of the treee coulours, when dimming - as when puting 1/4 and 1/2 CRT on a daylight lamp or blue on a tungsten lamp. It was useless for us.

Maybe Z90 works better when not using the fix indoor colour buttom on the back and just turn down colourtemp manually...
I will try that.

Bo
Old January 26th, 2011, 02:20 AM   #51
Trustee

After having used a SolaENG 3, Arri and Dedo Fresnel, my wishlist for an LED fresnel is this: shoe/5/8 mountable; 4 leaf barndoor, easy angle adjustment, a friggin AC power adapter plus ability to use D tap, an Arri or Dedo fresnel lens - thats all I can think of now. My main use is on light stands in place of Arri's and Dedo's. I can sort of get this list with the Sola but I needed to spend another $210 for each light ($180 AC power & $20 Dedo Shoe to 5/8). The Sola's lens is somewhat soft and no where near an Arri :( but I get extreme portability which is more important at the moment. If anyone has seen the demo on Abel Cine's site of 3 fresnels, the Sola is like the entry level (Lowel maybe?) with Arri in 2nd and Dedo as the best for hard edges.
Old January 26th, 2011, 03:50 AM   #52
Regular Crew

I have a couple of led worklights. Could I use a suitable gel to create a tungsten filter like the HDV Z96 has?
Old January 26th, 2011, 07:05 AM   #53
Sponsor: Westside AV

Most small on camera lights like the Frezzi lights only have 2 barn doors.

For more control I just carry some black light control foil. It takes up no room at all and can easily be shaped to any task, even a snoot very quickly, just make sure you leave some room for air to circulate around the lens for cooling. You can use the foil with or without the barn doors, it also is great as a quick french flag.
Old January 26th, 2011, 12:58 PM   #54
Major Player

Got my Solar today !
I like the light - there is a lot of light !!! and the posibilities but although it seems to be very well build - the backplate with the dimmer is only mounted in one side and this could easily break off if you are scraching against someting - The barndors could be difficult to unmount and mount again in a hurry, if you would have to change the filter or gel.

The mount for the light make it possible to lower the light and thats great -now it exactly fits in my camera drawer

There is a little noise from the fan but I am usually using the camera light in noisy suroundings so it will do..
Old January 28th, 2011, 05:59 AM   #55
Inner Circle

Does anyone know if the EX1R and SolaENG 3 combo can run off a single SWIT 8u62 battery?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #56
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Does anyone know if the EX1R and SolaENG 3 combo can run off a single SWIT 8u62 battery?
That is pushing close to 50w so that battery wouldn't last long. The better option would be the Switronix 90whr battery for the EX1.
Old January 29th, 2011, 12:29 PM   #57
Inner Circle

Yeah, as much as the Sola ENG is perfect from a lighting, weight and ergonomics, the higher output costs more power than I can budget for it. Any thoughts on something down on the list from the Sola that takes less power?

How do you like LEDzilla? I've read all the reviews and it looks good for my needs (run and gun, even spread, outdoor fill, Indoor key, dimmable, easy color change, barn doors, fresnel).

I only see sleds for the 7.2v Sony and Panny batteries. Are you aware of a sled for the Sony BP batteries?

Do I assume correctly that the LEDzilla comes with no cable or sled and you add the power option you want?
Les Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #58
Major Player

Man that LEDzilla looks SWEET! Me want...
Old January 29th, 2011, 04:49 PM   #59
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Wilson View Post
Yeah, as much as the Sola ENG is perfect from a lighting, weight and ergonomics, the higher output costs more power than I can budget for it. Any thoughts on something down on the list from the Sola that takes less power?

How do you like LEDzilla? I've read all the reviews and it looks good for my needs (run and gun, even spread, outdoor fill, Indoor key, dimmable, easy color change, barn doors, fresnel).

I only see sleds for the 7.2v Sony and Panny batteries. Are you aware of a sled for the Sony BP batteries?

Do I assume correctly that the LEDzilla comes with no cable or sled and you add the power option you want?
Yes, you are correct - there is NO power source included with the LEDzilla. Also, the 'Swit' power cable from Dedo is not for ANY Swit battery I have ever seen, and this is the cable that I ordered for my Swit batteries. Thus, I had to order a different cable - the A-B cable with D-tap; so, I have not been able to use my Dedo yet :(

Have you seen the review in the Photon forum of the Dedo? This review sold me on it.

From what I have seen so far, this light is rather lite and balances very well with my Zacuto rig and EX3. For weight & balance purposes, I chose not to use their battery plate. Take a look at their PDF for accessories: http://www.dedolight.com/www/assets/...edzilla_EU.pdf
Old January 29th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #60
Major Player

The LEDzilla accessories seem to be a gyp. The tube attachment was like 270.00 - for a plastic tube... 500.00 or so seems reasonable for a sweet light, but hundreds more for a wee soft box, Chinese lantern, or tube is just wrong IMO. Still, me want...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds