Color Temp Setting for Time Laps Sunset/Sunrise at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Trustee

Color Temp Setting for Time Laps Sunset/Sunrise

Looking for recommendations for color temp settings when doing a time laps sunset/sunrise shot.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #2
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Looking for recommendations for color temp settings when doing a time laps sunset/sunrise shot.
Thanks,
Garrett
That's easy. Put it on 5600K preset (or up to 6500K if you want it even warmer) and leave it alone.
Old February 9th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #3
Vortex Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Low View Post
Thanks,
Garrett
Made a typo, and accidentally posted twice. Sorry.
Old February 10th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #4
Trustee

Thanks Doug, I wasn't sure if that would be a bit too warm looking just as the sun is coming up. Isn't sunrise temp around 2000K? I suppose it would really give a cool glow though.

-Garrett
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:20 AM   #5
Trustee

I agree with Doug, 5600 degrees is good. If you go 2000 your picture will be way too blue when you start your timelapse. A warm looking sunset is much better looking than a cool one.
Warren Kawamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2011, 01:35 AM   #6
Trustee

I wasn't thinking of using anything near 2000K. Just noting that sunrise is down that low. I will give it a try between 5600 and 6000. Make some quick adjustments and let it go.

That is, when I get a chance to go out in some good weather.

Thanks,
Garrett
Old February 10th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #7
Major Player

Color Temperature & Sunlight

Garrett, I have also had this same question and my travels discovered General Electric's research as they make light bulbs for various color temperatures. It is a guide with some actual science behind it. Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Color Temp Setting for Time Laps Sunset/Sunrise-ge-color-temperature-sunlight.jpg  
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #8
Inner Circle

If your scene is going from totally dark to daylight then 5600 will work well, but if there are street lights or buildings with lights it becomes much harder as the man made lighting will be incredibly orange during the dark phase of the shot. You can compromise by shooting at 4300 and the doing a keyframed colour shift in post, or use ATW (waits for flack for using an auto function), you will loose a bit of the vibrance of the orange sun rise with ATW, but again you can add that back in with a few post tweaks.
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:07 PM   #9
Trustee

Thanks everyone for your help and input. The hard thing about doing this is you don't have a lot of chances to experiment. I can only get up before the sun so many times before turning into a pumpkin.

-Garrett

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds