DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Mic Solutions? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/491759-mic-solutions.html)

Ollie Walton February 14th, 2011 05:47 PM

Mic Solutions?

Hey,

I am after a solution to the weak flimsy ex1 Mic holder.

I have seen various products. What are peoples setups?

I have seen the ktex looks very good.

Need a new solution to fit my rode ntg2 on.

Ollie

Keith Dobie February 16th, 2011 08:20 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Hi Ollie. I'm using a Sennheiser ME-66 short shotgun with my EX1R, which is 3/4" longer than the NTG -2.

The adapter you see in the photos is actually 3 pieces. The rubber mic clip is a WindTech MC-12 but any 5/8" mic clip would work. A 5/8" to 3/8" thread adapter fits into the MC-12, then the tube clamp adapter screws into that. The whole assembly fits into the EX1R's mic holder. K-Tek has a clamp adapter kit that should work (K-CA) but I'm not sure if that's the one the shop set me up with.
K-Tek | Boom Poles, Microphone and Camera Accessories

It places the mic away from the lens a bit farther, which I needed when using my Rycote Softie. You can of course rotate the tube to place the mic in different positions. You could also insert it from the front side if you have a shorter mic that isn't going to get in the shot. Looks like there are other types of adapters that give more separation, but this is working just fine for me. Hope this helps. Please let us know what you decide on and how it works for you.

(After reading what Doug & Warren posted, I can see that it also has the advantage that if the mic gets whacked it should pop out of the flexible rubber mic clip. If you mount it directly into the EX1's holder it is solidly in there and no place to go)

Keith

Warren Kawamoto February 16th, 2011 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ollie Walton (Post 1618263)
I am after a solution to the weak flimsy ex1 Mic holder.
Ollie

Has it ever occurred to you that maybe Sony designed the holder to be weak on purpose? I once accidentally ripped off my mic when I walked through a doorway. At first I cursed the flimsiness, then thought about what would have happened if the mic mount was solid. I wondered if I could have knocked off the entire LCD assembly instead, or broken my mic in half. At that point I realized that breaking a cheap mic holder is much better than breaking the LCD mount or mic. So I went and ordered 2 more spare mic holders, and stopped complaining.

Doug Jensen February 16th, 2011 10:11 PM

Reminds me of the time I once sheared off a $5000 viewfinder on my Ikegami Betacam running through a doorway at Fenway after the game. Never let that happen again.

Duncan Craig February 17th, 2011 12:44 PM

After getting through lots of mounting options and all of them coming up short I stumbled on this Rycote kit: Testing the Rycote Universal Camera Kit » Rycote

The shock mount is almost indestructible, and goes onto the cold shoe on my EX1. Also comes with a plethora of additional mounting options. There's nothing else available that comes close.

Ollie Walton February 17th, 2011 05:44 PM

Thanks for the replies

I found this, which also allows you too radio mics on and then add the KCAM MOUNT.

i posted the links what do you think.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/326968-REG/K_Tek_K_CAM_SSM_Camera_Shoemounting_Shockmount.html
J-Rod Twin mount Sony EX1 EX1R EX3 mic ME66 Microphone on eBay (end time 14-Mar-11 01:04:51 GMT)

Duncan Craig February 17th, 2011 06:38 PM

Don't forget to add import duty to all those US purchases. Once you add it all up, you could afford the Rycote kit.

I got a Juiced camera plate on my EX1 with the side wing cold shoe. You really should look at getting one for your EX1, the stock base is quite weak so they say.

Have you looked at what comes with the Rycote kit? There are about 7 or 8 things in there, including a cold shoe extender, which will hold two radio receivers and a mic, if you can handle the front end weight.

The mic holder is lower profile, much better made than any other holder and swings into a variety of positions to move it out of the way. It has a cable tensioner built in. There's a boom adaptor for the mic holder. A hard wind gag which I love, and a kitten-type sock.

Here's my favourite site: thomann, with a great set of product pictures: RYCOTE UNIVERSAL CAMERA KIT RUCK big view - Thomann UK Cyberstore

Dean Sensui February 18th, 2011 04:29 AM

My EX1 mic mount broke easily while filming on a rocking boat. Duct tape fixed it until I got home to do a better repair.

The stock one is very flimsy so I reinforced it with epoxy. Now it's rock solid. I did the same to the other EX1, too.

I posted this a while ago (2008). It shows how I reinforced the Sony mount and it also shows the type of mic shock mount I'm using. The mic's shock mount consists of rubber fingers holding onto the mic. Excessive pressure would tend to pull the mic out of the shock mount long before the camera's mic holder fails.

Now this means it's no longer "sacrificial" but it doesn't have to be if the mic holder gives way before the camera's mic mount does. The mic mount hasn't ever failed since then.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...tml#post933958

Most of the time, however, I'm working with a rain cape on. So the mic now mounts atop the rain cape, and the camera's mic mount is not used at all.