EX3 crashed - please help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 31st, 2011, 11:58 PM   #1
New Boot

EX3 crashed - please help!

Hi,

My ex3 is displaying some seriously worrying symptoms. After about five minutes of the camera starting up, none of the buttons (menu, record, etc) will work and the camera will not switch off unless I eject the battery. Ive tried a factory reset but it doesnt work. Please somebody help!
Richard Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 12:54 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: EX3 crashed - please help!

Try plugging it in using the charger/power supply. That's the first thing I would do as you go through a troubleshooting exercise. Remember to swtich the battery charger to power mode.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2011, 08:44 AM   #3
New Boot

Hi Andrew, thanks for the reply - I should have mentioned that I tried this too but unfortunately it didn't work either :-(.
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:19 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Time to contact Sony I think. Is it still within the 2 years Silver Support period? (I hope it is as this certainly sounds serious...).

Just for the record it cost me about £150 (+ VAT) in July last year to extend my EX3's Silver Support for a third year. Money I felt well worth paying. By the way, when I last looked it cost more to extend the cover an EX1 than an EX3. I guess (and this is only a guess) because they are perhaps less reliable. We certainly don't read about too many failed EX3's. I suppose since most cameras are basically computers in a plastic shell with bits of glass on the front of them these days locking up/software crashing type failures (which is what this sounds like) will happen...maybe all they need to do is re-flash the firmware to removed a corrupt file (hopefully).

Let us know how it goes and good luck!
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:56 AM   #5
New Boot

Oh-oh sounds like it might get expensive. Is it the same procedure to upgrade the firmware as to reflash it? My warranty has run out...
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I had EX1R lock-up, after leaving no power and battery disconnected for couple hours the camera resolved itself and powered up normally.

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdc...dia-error.html
Mark Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:45 AM   #7
New Boot

Hi,
Tried removing the batterys (CR2032 backup and main battery) and left it a day. Although normal operation is restored on power up, after five minutes or so it reverts to it's old tricks...
Old April 2nd, 2011, 10:47 AM   #8
Major Player

Nothing to do with daylight saving??
Sounds really daft but you could try resetting the time...
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:14 PM   #9
New Boot

Hasn't been near water or anything. It's a bit of a weird fault though isn't it, the fact that it works perfectly for about five minutes then all hell breaks loose. Does anybody reckon it could be caused by sdhc media? I have been using it with an sxs adaptor although the fault still shows itself when using genuine sxs cards...
Old April 2nd, 2011, 03:24 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Harvey View Post
. Does anybody reckon it could be caused by sdhc media? ..
No. It would be just as likely to be a SxS card or anything else you plug into the camera.

Sounds more like a component issue. Possibly something getting up to operating temperature and then failing.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 11:30 PM   #11
Regular Crew

You don't indicate how old the camera is, so this is only a stab in the dark - have you checked the voltage of the lithium backup battery? I know that you have removed it, but did you test it? Does the camera lose its settings after you have removed the main battery? It may be pulling itself up by its bootstraps every time you start it up and glitching because of it. Might be worth a test.

Cheers

Russ
Russell Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:30 AM   #12
New Boot

Just tried a fresh backup battery. No luck there either I'm afraid.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 03:33 AM   #13
New Boot

Oh, one thing I think I should mention is that it fails even without the lens attached or any media in the slots too.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 05:31 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Somethings getting hot and failing by the sounds of things. I would not use the camera and get it looked at. It could be a voltage regulator putting out too many volts and causing things to heat up more than they should. This could cause more serious damage if the camera continues to be used.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 08:59 AM   #15
New Boot

Just carried out a full diagnostic check in the service menu. It says everything is ok and there are no errors?
Richard Harvey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds