EX1 zoom malfunction at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 28th, 2012, 01:24 PM   #1
Major Player

EX1 zoom malfunction

Hi All,

One of my EX1's has stopped zooming. Already checked the zoom/servo switch on the bottom of the lens but that's not the issue. It zooms manually with the ring but the electric zoom switches on both the handgrip and the top handle don't work. It wasn't giving problems before and stopped zooming from one moment to the other. Am I missing something or is it really broken? Any help is appreciated.

Gabor
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 07:44 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: EX1 zoom malfunction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabor Heeres View Post
Hi All,

One of my EX1's has stopped zooming. Already checked the zoom/servo switch on the bottom of the lens but that's not the issue. It zooms manually with the ring but the electric zoom switches on both the handgrip and the top handle don't work. It wasn't giving problems before and stopped zooming from one moment to the other. Am I missing something or is it really broken? Any help is appreciated.

Gabor
Sounds like the servo zoom has been set to manual.. usually the switch is under the servo motor. or there a bouts.. sorry don't know the camera that well..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Major Player

.....so.....you didn't read what he wrote? ;-)
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 05:27 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Do you hear the motor noise from the gear? If you don't, it's dead. If you do, something has affected the gear to no longer touch the sprockets on the zoom. Unfortunately this would require the entire lens block to be replaced.
Jack Zhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
.....so.....you didn't read what he wrote? ;-)
ah yes see what you mean.. but might be some other little switch somewhere.. if it was fine.. and its not making any noise or smoke coming out of the motor.. and neither zoom controls are working.. could be a switch..
I havnt used this camera but those small ones have all sorts of tiny switches they get knocked or pushed very easily..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 12:48 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Might be worth trying a full reset of the camera.
Old July 31st, 2012, 03:56 AM   #7
Major Player

Well, it seems our EX1 is living again! As through a miracle the camera started zooming again after by accident holding the Push-AF button for a few seconds (which my colleague normally never uses). To me it seems nearly impossible that AF has something to do with the malfunctioned zoom, but OK, it works! Just wondering now for how long....

Thanks for the help anyway.....
Gabor Heeres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2012, 06:09 AM   #8
Major Player

See.. tiny switches :) might be some weird un announced function to confuse the enemy..
Robin Probyn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds