EX1 mic holder (same as EX3?) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 27th, 2012, 09:18 AM   #1
Major Player

EX1 mic holder (same as EX3?)

Hi there,
The mic holder on my EX1 broke a few days ago (my fault). I'd like to get the same Sony mount, but the one I see for sale says it's for an EX3.
Would the mic holder for the EX3 be the same as the one for the EX1?
Thanks,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Sponsor: Westside AV

Re: EX1 mic holder (same as EX3?)

Mine has broken several times.

I just epoxy it back together. 5 min epoxy works great, and it is about as strong as it was to start with.

I understand from Sony that it is designed to break instead of causing the whole front part of the handle to break (expensive) if someone picks up the cam by the mic or it gets bumped hard.
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:17 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks for the reply, Olof.
But where did your holder break? Mine broke at the base... the plastic around the two little screws. I stil have the screws, but they don't have enough plastic around them to hold the thing in place. Do you still think that some epoxy will work?
One more mic holder question... would this other, more expensive Sony mic holder (jpeg attached, I hope) allow me to fit my EX1 into my rather tight carrying cases (I use both a Portabrace bag and for more rugged shoots, a Kata backpack, and in each case, the 'lower' I can make the EX1, the better, i.e., I don't have a lot of headroom) a little more easily?
Looking at the photo on the B&H site, it seems to me that this mic holder (if I attach it upside down) might allow me to have my ext. mic sitting just next to my XLR inputs. This could make the overall configuration of my EX1 a bit wider, but not as tall. But I would want to make sure that I can leave my two XLR plugs (if that's the right word for them) plugged in. I hate disconnecting things (to fit my camera into a case), because this means reconnecting them, and I'm often in a hurry when shooting.
Thanks for help with this...
Regards, Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 mic holder (same as EX3?)-sony-mic-holder.jpg  
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Major Player

Mine broke like that too. I filled the entire base with epoxy and then drilled new holes for the screws in the epoxy. I used a larger bit to counter sink the screw heads so I wouldn't need to get longer screw.

Now I keep the mic holder off the camera unless I need to use an on camera mic.
Kevin Spahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
Major Player

Hmmm. I definitely want to be able to keep my Sanken mic attached at all times. I've done it like this ever since I got my EX1, and this is the first time I've had a problem. So if I can't fix my broken mic holder properly, I'm going to get either the mic holder I included a picture of... if it would fit, and if it would make my EX1 a bit more compact, or I'll get the Sony replacement.
If I do the latter, I just want to make sure that the one Sony sells for the EX3 would fit the screw holes in my EX1. Are there any EX1/EX3 owners out there who can tell me if the mic holders are the same thing for both cameras?
Regards,
Malcolm
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:33 PM   #6
Sponsor: Westside AV

Malcolm, mine broke around the small screws as well.

I just put everything in place and fill the whole area around the screws with 5 min epoxy, this way it becomes one piece of plastic like it was possible even a little stronger and the screws still hold it to the camera handle.

I have an after market metal piece as well, but I never installed it for the reason mentioned above. I have seen the whole front of the EX1 handle break, not an inexpensive or pretty sight.

It is a very quick fix and in the field last week I just fixed my EX3 mic holder with gaffer tape to finish a shoot and I epoxied it when I got back to the studio that night. The next morning it was as good as new.

The first time it happened I was upset, but now I am used to it. 3 times in 5 years I think, not too bad really.
Old August 27th, 2012, 03:58 PM   #7
Major Player

Thanks so much, Olof.
I'll do just what you suggest with the epoxy.
Regards,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds