What to do when you don't want eight tracks of audio? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old March 29th, 2014, 07:09 PM   #1
Major Player

What to do when you don't want eight tracks of audio?

IMay be a silly question, but the manual is silent on this one. I have my PMW300 set up to use only a single external mic. It is plugged into channel 1. Audio controls on the side for channel 1 and 2 are set to auto. All other menu choices pertaining to audio have been left at factory settings. Despite this simple setup, when I upload a file into my NLE (Premiere Pro), I end up with eight identical mono audio tracks. They take up practically the whole workspace. I have seen elsewhere that the PMW 300 can put out 8 audio tracks. That' s fine, but how do you turn them off when you only want one? It only occurs in UDF, not in FAT. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited by Steve Siegel; March 29th, 2014 at 07:18 PM. Reason: forgot something
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What to do when you don't want eight tracks of audio?

You can't turn them off. It's part of the XDCAM MXF standard (XAVC too), so for the files to be fully XDCAM compliant they have to have 8 tracks.
Old March 30th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Yes I get this. Very simple to delete the unwanted audio tracks in Prem Pro though to get your workspce back. Just hover over the left hand "audio track label" and right click and then select delete audio track...or other ways to do it too.
Old March 30th, 2014, 08:03 PM   #4
Vortex Media

The best way of dealing with the extra channels in Premiere is to select all the clips in your bin after you import them into the project. Then right-click on them and choose "Modify Audio Channels". Then change the number of channels to 2, 1, 0, or whatever you want. Done in one step. Now you won't be dragging an 8-channel mess onto your sequence with every clip.
Old March 31st, 2014, 03:52 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks, Doug. Worked perfectly!
Steve Siegel is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds