DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Sony EX-Cam with SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/524272-sony-ex-cam-slr-magic-1-33x-anamorphot.html)

Alexander Mellich July 26th, 2014 05:34 AM

Sony EX-Cam with SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot?

Hi all,

Did anybody here try the SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot with a SONY EX-Cam (1/2" like EX1/EX1R/EX3/PMW-200)?
I saw Alister's blog entry about it and now I am curious.
AFAIK I would need a step-down adapter 77mm to 62mm to put the SLR Magic on the 77mm filter thread of my PMW-200.
Any experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Dave Sperling July 27th, 2014 11:47 AM

Re: Sony EX-Cam with SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot

Was just reading about this.
From the SLR Magic website...

"The adapter has a 77mm front filter thread and a native 62mm rear thread with a 58mm, 52mm, 49mm adapter rings provided. As such it is only suitable for lenses which have a front element size of 50mm or less."

Alexander Mellich July 28th, 2014 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Sperling (Post 1856435)
...As such it is only suitable for lenses which have a front element size of 50mm or less."

I read that, too. But zooming in and stopping down could help, couldn't it?

Cheers,
Alex

Dave Sperling July 28th, 2014 08:08 AM

Without actually seeing or having the adapter, my best guess is that vignetting would be fairly substantial for quite a bit of the zoom range. As an experiment I tried holding a 52mm filter just in front of the lens of an EX1 (after removing the sunshade) to see where I would no longer have a vignetted image. For me this seemed to happen somewhere above 40mm (at just under 70% on the 0-99 zoom range). (Because of the way the standard EX1 lens is designed, the vignetting increases as the focal length starts zooming in from full wide, then eventually decreases as zooming in continues.)
Seems to me that by the time you have a usable, non-vignetted image you are too telephoto to make it a useful tool.
So my guess is that you'd be much better off using a larger sensor camera or dslr that will adapt to take still lenses, such as the 52mm front filter Nikon series prime lenses.

Alexander Mellich July 29th, 2014 06:53 AM

Actually the filter thread of the SLR Magic is 62mm (and it can be stepped down to 52 or 48)...

Cheers,
Alex

Dave Sperling July 29th, 2014 09:29 AM

Didn't have anything in that size to play with here, though even a 67mm filter seems to vignette somewhat up to about 20mm. A lot would depend on the depth of the step-down filter and how close it could hold the adapter to the lens...