Sony EX-Cam with SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 26th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #1
New Boot

Sony EX-Cam with SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot?

Hi all,

Did anybody here try the SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot with a SONY EX-Cam (1/2" like EX1/EX1R/EX3/PMW-200)?
I saw Alister's blog entry about it and now I am curious.
AFAIK I would need a step-down adapter 77mm to 62mm to put the SLR Magic on the 77mm filter thread of my PMW-200.
Any experiences?

Thanks in advance.

Alex

Last edited by Alexander Mellich; July 26th, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
Alexander Mellich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2014, 11:47 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Sony EX-Cam with SLR Magic 1.33x Anamorphot

Was just reading about this.
From the SLR Magic website...

"The adapter has a 77mm front filter thread and a native 62mm rear thread with a 58mm, 52mm, 49mm adapter rings provided. As such it is only suitable for lenses which have a front element size of 50mm or less."
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2014, 01:33 AM   #3
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Sperling View Post
...As such it is only suitable for lenses which have a front element size of 50mm or less."
I read that, too. But zooming in and stopping down could help, couldn't it?

Cheers,
Alex
Old July 28th, 2014, 08:08 AM   #4
Major Player

Without actually seeing or having the adapter, my best guess is that vignetting would be fairly substantial for quite a bit of the zoom range. As an experiment I tried holding a 52mm filter just in front of the lens of an EX1 (after removing the sunshade) to see where I would no longer have a vignetted image. For me this seemed to happen somewhere above 40mm (at just under 70% on the 0-99 zoom range). (Because of the way the standard EX1 lens is designed, the vignetting increases as the focal length starts zooming in from full wide, then eventually decreases as zooming in continues.)
Seems to me that by the time you have a usable, non-vignetted image you are too telephoto to make it a useful tool.
So my guess is that you'd be much better off using a larger sensor camera or dslr that will adapt to take still lenses, such as the 52mm front filter Nikon series prime lenses.
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:53 AM   #5
New Boot

Actually the filter thread of the SLR Magic is 62mm (and it can be stepped down to 52 or 48)...

Cheers,
Alex
Old July 29th, 2014, 09:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Didn't have anything in that size to play with here, though even a 67mm filter seems to vignette somewhat up to about 20mm. A lot would depend on the depth of the step-down filter and how close it could hold the adapter to the lens...
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds