EX1 shuts down or reboots by itself! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 20th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #1
Inner Circle

EX1 shuts down or reboots by itself!

It happened to me a couple of times recently that my EX1 switched off, or rebooted, by itself during a shot.

I was suspecting the battery and cables, but after experimenting with several other batteries, and building a new custom cable (a one that feeds the nanoFlash and a LED light from the battery's D-tap socket) - I can safely say the culprit is somewhere else.

Luckily enough, I still do have the (extended) Prime Support warranty - but would appreciate your suggestions as to the possible reasons of such behavior.

TIA,

Piotr
Old November 20th, 2010, 01:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Nothing like that happened to either of my cameras. Let us know what it turns out to be.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:42 AM   #3
Major Player

Didn't you report increasing noise as well?
Maybe your circuits are corroded.... that would be bad news.
A firmware malfunction seems a bit of a strange option, (or did you shoot NSFW-websites? ;-) ) but maybe reinstalling the latest firmware might help. Make sure to download it, in case an error is in that file. BUT maybe it's unwise to install the firmware when the firmware is the problem... it could brick your gear.

(BTW, I have no clue what is wrong with your camera: I'm speculating and hopefully you will find out real soon.)
Old December 2nd, 2010, 09:07 PM   #4
Regular Crew

You advise the guy to do a firmware upgrade on a camcorder that randomly shuts down or reboots???
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Major Player

Could it be poor contact(s) in the main power switch?

I do not know what the power switch is like in the EX1 but I am not impressed with the one on the EX3 - it is a little vague for my liking.
Alastair Traill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2010, 06:07 AM   #6
Inner Circle

My problem (and the reason I still haven't sent the camera to Sony) is that the reboot only happened once; it did shut off more than once but - as I said in the OP - I thought it was my battery, or the custom cable I was using...

I'll keep you posted, guys.
Old December 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM   #7
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bram Corstjens View Post
You advise the guy to do a firmware upgrade on a camcorder that randomly shuts down or reboots???
And maybe you didn't see my own doubts about that advice?

Maybe there is a way to compare the used firmware and a fresh download without touching the camera?

If you want to find a solution you'll have to think of all possible causes and find a way to eliminate them from the list.

Maybe it was indeed the battery, or the connection to the battery.
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:07 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I suspect your cam may be overheating this was an issue with some ex1's a while back
Old December 4th, 2010, 07:24 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Clarke View Post
I suspect your cam may be overheating this was an issue with some ex1's a while back
No, it's not. The reboots/switch off's completely random, very rare, and without any obvious reasons.

Looks like some intermittent loss of contact somewhere. But - even with the warranty still valid - I don't want Sony to put my camera apart, and perhaps replace parts that are working perfectly well for me (like the lens, which is sharp, has virtually no CA, and a very smooth zoom capability - even at the lowest speeds).
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:18 AM   #10
Trustee

Try cleaning the battery contacts in the camera. I had a similar problem with a Nikon camera and looking at the contacts they had a light film coating (no pun intended). Have you used your camera in a humid environment recently?
Old December 4th, 2010, 08:53 AM   #11
Inner Circle

It also happened on DC-in, so it's NOT the battery contacts.

And no - my camera's never been exposed to much humidity, or salty water...
Old December 4th, 2010, 06:51 PM   #12
Inner Circle

Piotr... If the problem persists, then you might want to take the camera in before the warranty expires.

Although, as you said, the camera's other functions are just fine. The big problem is that it quits unexpectedly. One day you'll find yourself shooting a once-in-a-lifetime event, and your camera is going to shut down just as the most important moment happens.
Old December 5th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #13
Go Cycle

It is your power supply unit within the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
It also happened on DC-in, so it's NOT the battery contacts.

And no - my camera's never been exposed to much humidity, or salty water...
Old March 20th, 2014, 07:15 AM   #14
Tourist

Re: EX1 shuts down or reboots by itself!

Hi, I have the same identical problem.
Have you discovered how to fix it?

Best,
Andrea
Andrea Fantasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2014, 09:24 PM   #15
Major Player

Re: EX1 shuts down or reboots by itself!

I also posted this in another thread, but if I barely touch or wiggle the power switch on my EX1, it will switch off and reboot. For now, I avoid touching the power switch when I'm rolling, but it's going to bite me one of these days. I just don't have the money for repairs right now.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds