up grade to a Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 11th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #1
New Boot

up grade to a Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM

hi..

I need some advice here..

I been doing events for Weddings and sweet sixteen ( quinceanieras) for the last 3 years
I start doing this with the Sony HDV HVR-A1J and I Think is time for an upgrade ( I probably start with the wrong camera but at that time that is all I could get )
As you can see my experience is not too much and my knowledge on video cameras and all the specs I have to consider is just getting stared

Short story, my wife is a photographer and I decide to start with the video so we can work together and make more money on our free time

My biggest problem is shooting at night or in low light.
I TRY to fix this by getting a CN-160 camera light, but still some times after I download the videos in my computer you can see some noise on the video. It didn't look like that on the LCD screen at the time I was recording
I don't feel good by using the view finder so I always use the LCD screen to see what I'm recording

After a loooongg search on the web sites and watching many tutorials on video cameras and how they work
I found a video camera that I think is what I need or at least is way better than the one I have

The Sony HXR-NX5U

1- Is in my budget ( USED )
2- I don't have to use mini DV cassettes
3- have ND Filters
4- the reviews are excellent

Is this enough for what Im doing ?
Am I missing something here ?
Any suggestion is welcome

for the edition Im using the Pinnacle Studio 15, since I know how to use it I will like to upgrade for
the pinnacle Studio 19 Ultimate

I try Sony Vegas Studio HD 9.0 once but I couldn't understand how all works, it looks complicate
Old October 11th, 2015, 07:09 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: up grade to a Sony HXR-NX5U NXCAM

Based on selling prices on ebay, it looks like a used Sony A7s is going for about the same or even less than a used HXR-NX5U. While the ergonomics for ENG type work is not going to be the same, it would
definitely solve your low light shooting problem (probably better than most anything else). A minor plus is that you might be able to use some of your wife's lenses on the camera.
There is a review regarding the a7s as a wedding camera at
Stephen Brenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2015, 11:37 PM   #3
Major Player

The FS100 is also an option. They are going for low-mid teens on eBay right now.
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:26 AM   #4
Trustee

i cannot recommend shooting with ANY dslr in a run and gun, eng situation.

the pictures obtained from properly set up dslr shots are incredible, but ergonomically they're a walking disaster, AND by the time you've added the bare requirements necessary for serious video work ie. audio, ssd, batteries, camera mount / cradle, etc., etc., your budget will be shot to pieces...

don't get me wrong, the stuff i've seen from cameras like the a7, the use of serious glass (primes, forget zooms on a dslr), are stunning, really quite beyond what even the best prosumer video cameras can produce - BUT, you try following talent through multiple lighting situations, going wide to cu for a cutaway, grabbing the camera to catch that unheralded / unscripted moment, etc., etc., and you'll soon realise the limitations of a dslr.

Last edited by Leslie Wand; October 12th, 2015 at 01:34 AM.
Leslie Wand is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds