Ex3 lens removal at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 5th, 2014, 02:50 PM   #1
Tourist

Ex3 lens removal

I am considering purchasing a hard case for my ex3 which is just a little to small with the lens attached. I can remove the lens but am not sure if this practical for regular use. I may not have time for a back focus adjustment every time I attach the lens. On the other hand it seems like removing the lens would be a good option if the case was ever dropped. I only have the stock zoom lens at this time. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Mark Refuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2014, 03:24 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Ex3 lens removal

Mark I remove my PMW-300 lens all the time for travel on small planes. Always good to back focus and BB after it is reinstalled. It is not bad for the camera you just have to be careful. I switch lens on the job at times and can be up and going in 5 min max.
Old September 5th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Tourist

Thanks. Once I shot for 30 minutes with the lens just a fraction from tight and it destroyed the focus. At least if I attach every time it will remind me to check for proper attachment.
Mark Refuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Major Player

I bought a used PMW-300 last month, and I couldn't be happier with it. I have used it on several jobs already. However, when I try to remove the lens, it is extremely tight and difficult to remove (and to put back on). I owned an EX3 previously, and had no such trouble getting the lens on and off. The person who sold the camera to me said it was used on a Reality TV show, and I am wondering if the camera was dropped at some point, causing the difficulty removing the lens. The rest of the camera functions normally, and shows normal wear (it has around 575 hours on it.

I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to make removing the lens easier. My first thought was some kind of lubricant, but I would be too afraid of it getting on the electronics. Any suggestions?
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2015, 09:10 PM   #5
Major Player

So I swallowed hard and decided to go ahead and give the lubricant a try. Used a thin layer of Dielectric tune-up grease, and that seems to have done the trick. The lens mount does not appear to be warped at all. Whew! Now to start to looking into a lens upgrade. HD lens is not in the budget, but a good quality 1/2" hotshoe SD lens, with a greater reach than the 14X stock lens (at least 17X), would be good. I bought an ACM-18 adapter already.
Jim Nogueira is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds